ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old September 24th, 2012, 10:38 AM   #1
Norway
ninjette.org member

Name: S n 0 r r £
Location: Stjoerdal, Norway (San Diego, CA, USA, 2015-2016 , Bielefeld, Nordrhein Westfalen,Germany 2021-'22)

Motorcycle(s): TMZ 5.952 "Tula" 200, Ninja 250 -Special ed. '11, ZZR 1400 (ZX14), Honda CB 1100 F Super Bol D'or

CX 500 hit my right side (front)

Hi

A neighbour lost control of his CX 500 and hit my my 250R on the right side,
hitting the fairing and the front wheel. Now i have to steer slightly to the right
when going straight ahead. The fairing also seems to have gotten a slight offset, from the CX hitting in what i guess must have been 5 - 15 mph.

A local Kawasaki dealer said that by releasing some bolts holding the front fork, compressing it some times, and making some adjustments, the steering angle would be fine, again.

Does this sound reasonable to some of you having exprience with similar cases? Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Ninja owner from Stjoerdal, Norway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kawasaki250rdashstill.jpg (87.8 KB, 31 views)
Norway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2012, 11:29 AM   #2
rabies
time is running out....

Name: jesse

Motorcycle(s): pregen ninjari

if you got hit by something bigger then a pillow..all kinds of things can be off.
misalignment on a motorcykle is dangerous.
eyeball it. see if it lines up. if so have a mechanic take a deeper look and adjust things.....and have your neighbor pay for it

Old September 24th, 2012, 11:29 AM   #3
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norway View Post
Hi

A neighbour lost control of his CX 500 and hit my my 250R on the right side,
hitting the fairing and the front wheel. Now i have to steer slightly to the right
when going straight ahead. The fairing also seems to have gotten a slight offset, from the CX hitting in what i guess must have been 5 - 15 mph.

A local Kawasaki dealer said that by releasing some bolts holding the front fork, compressing it some times, and making some adjustments, the steering angle would be fine, again.

Does this sound reasonable to some of you having exprience with similar cases? Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Ninja owner from Stjoerdal, Norway.

So your forks are bent?

I guess i am not completely sure what is bent, but if forks are bent you have nothing to lose but money by letting them try to straighten things out, if they can't do it you buy new forks, if they can then awesome.

not sure what compressing anything is gonna do though?

My only experience with off set front end is with MX bikes, and if the forks are bent i always just bite the bullet and replace the forks because they will never be right again no matter how much tinker and a well tuned suspension is crucial on an MX bike

Get a quote from them what they are going to charge you to "fix it" and if labor costs parts ect... is going to be a good portion of what it would cost just to replace, i would just replace and know that everything is good again.

JMO

good luck
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2012, 11:32 AM   #4
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabies View Post
if you got hit by something bigger then a pillow..all kinds of things can be off.
misalignment on a motorcykle is dangerous.
eyeball it. see if it lines up. if so have a mechanic take a deeper look and adjust things.....and have your neighbor pay for it
^
i totally over looked this factor,

If your neighbor is paying, replace anything that is questionable from the accident and look at everything like rabies said, It might just look like x + y, but in fact it is x+y and everything associated with them, bearings, seals ect...

sounds like a complete tear down of the front end and careful inspection are definitely in order.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2012, 11:46 AM   #5
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
The forks aren't bent just twisted, do what the dealer said and it'll be fine
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2012, 01:32 PM   #6
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Kwak Ninja 250 and 1998 Yamaha YZ400F

I doubt anything major is seriously damaged and the forks just need resetting. I've binned my MX bikes much harder than that and have had them mis-aligned plenty of times, but everything on my bike is still as straight as it was in 1998.

Either way, make him pay all expenses. I would've opened an insurance claim with his company by now in case anything does come up. I'd be pissed if a mutt as ugly as a CX500 plowed into my bike. No insurance? "See ya in court, asshole."
dirty nasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2012, 04:38 PM   #7
lgk
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
The forks aren't bent just twisted, do what the dealer said and it'll be fine
This,

Old October 20th, 2013, 11:32 AM   #8
Norway
ninjette.org member

Name: S n 0 r r £
Location: Stjoerdal, Norway (San Diego, CA, USA, 2015-2016 , Bielefeld, Nordrhein Westfalen,Germany 2021-'22)

Motorcycle(s): TMZ 5.952 "Tula" 200, Ninja 250 -Special ed. '11, ZZR 1400 (ZX14), Honda CB 1100 F Super Bol D'or

CX 500 hit my right side (front)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty nasty View Post
I doubt anything major is seriously damaged and the forks just need resetting. I've binned my MX bikes much harder than that and have had them mis-aligned plenty of times, but everything on my bike is still as straight as it was in 1998.

Either way, make him pay all expenses. I would've opened an insurance claim with his company by now in case anything does come up. I'd be pissed if a mutt as ugly as a CX500 plowed into my bike. No insurance? "See ya in court, asshole."
"...mutt as ugly as a CX 500 ..."

Thanks for comments and advice from several at this forum. I have been absent for quite a while, but the bike finally got fixed this summer. It took some time.. Even though the CX owner did not have any insurance, we seem to have some sort of national insurance guarantee fund here in Norway that covered the expences for repairing my bike. So, I did not have to pay to have it repaired. This fund ("Trafikkforsikringsforeningen") might claim the costs from the CX owner later..
conclusion: The bike got fixed and I'm still enjoying it, though I was only able to use it 3 times this week, as winter conditions and icy roads are emerging..
Norway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2013, 06:33 AM   #9
Ytse Frobozz
Not dead yet!

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norway View Post
"Trafikkforsikringsforeningen"
And here I was thinking the Germans had a corner on the massivecompoundwords market.
Ytse Frobozz is offline   Reply With Quote