ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 15th, 2013, 07:06 PM   #1
ubxssangz
ninjette.org member

Name: UBX

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

2009 ninja 250 cct

Hi,

out of curiosity. Can I rest the cct by just removing the 10mm bolt in the middle, retract the metal stick then let go? Or MUST I remove the whole cct?
ubxssangz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2013, 07:08 PM   #2
krolinked
Nerd

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Ducati Hyperstrada

Yes

You can reset it without removing it. But it should automatically take up the slack. Or is it too tight that is the problem?

Old July 15th, 2013, 07:31 PM   #3
ubxssangz
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krolinked View Post
You can reset it without removing it. But it should automatically take up the slack. Or is it too tight that is the problem?
I'm trying to reset due to a ticking sound

Old July 16th, 2013, 08:45 AM   #4
ubxssangz
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krolinked View Post
Thanks krolin for your feedbad!!
Everyone else agree's that i can reset the cct by just removing the 10mm bolt in the middle and not removing the whole thing?

Old July 16th, 2013, 09:35 AM   #5
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Triumph Bonneville; 2008 Ninja 250r (trackbike)

Go APE

I had the exact same problems. I would try and reset it and it would work and then it would fail.

However, to properly reset it, you need to remove the 10mm bolt and use a small flathead screwdriver (like a jeweler's or a bit with a small thumb ratchet) that you can wind up to bring it back and then release and it should reset.

Since I do a lot of valve clearance checks and I HATE the OEM cam chain tensioner, I just caved and spent $60 on an APE manual cam chain tensioner...much easier to use.

To set it, just loosen the locknut and turn the bolt to bring the tensioner back. Install the tensioner onto the engine. Then use your hand (NO TOOLS) and turn the center bolt until you cannot turn it anymore. Loosen it by hand a 1/4 turn. Tighten the locknut down using a 5/8" open end wrench. Start it up. If there is noise, adjust as needed. If no noise, then go for a test ride and make sure there isn't anymore noise.
*CVMA #312*SoCal Trackdays*BigHeadz Racing*Motion Pro*Factory Effex*Leatt Brace* Racetech *Bell * Woodcraft CFM*Vortex*Hotbodies*Surface Sun Systems*Braking*LiveWire Energy*Freegun Underwear
tooblekain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2013, 10:53 AM   #6
ubxssangz
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblekain View Post
I had the exact same problems. I would try and reset it and it would work and then it would fail.

However, to properly reset it, you need to remove the 10mm bolt and use a small flathead screwdriver (like a jeweler's or a bit with a small thumb ratchet) that you can wind up to bring it back and then release and it should reset.

Since I do a lot of valve clearance checks and I HATE the OEM cam chain tensioner, I just caved and spent $60 on an APE manual cam chain tensioner...much easier to use.

To set it, just loosen the locknut and turn the bolt to bring the tensioner back. Install the tensioner onto the engine. Then use your hand (NO TOOLS) and turn the center bolt until you cannot turn it anymore. Loosen it by hand a 1/4 turn. Tighten the locknut down using a 5/8" open end wrench. Start it up. If there is noise, adjust as needed. If no noise, then go for a test ride and make sure there isn't anymore noise.
so you don't have to remove the whole cct by removing the 2 8mm side bolts?

Old July 16th, 2013, 02:42 PM   #7
krolinked
Nerd

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Ducati Hyperstrada

If it is working properly, No you don't need to. If its broken, then you need a new one.

Old July 16th, 2013, 04:24 PM   #8
LoD575
ninjette.org sage

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2006 Ninja ZX6R-636

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblekain View Post

I have the ticking noise as well and decided to order the APE Manual CCT. While waiting for the new one to arrive I might try to reset the factory one this weekend.
LoD575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2013, 07:28 PM   #9
ubxssangz
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoD575 View Post
I have the ticking noise as well and decided to order the APE Manual CCT. While waiting for the new one to arrive I might try to reset the factory one this weekend.
Mine sound like an oven pilot light. Are we talking about the same sound?

Old July 17th, 2013, 06:56 AM   #10
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubxssangz View Post
Mine sound like an oven pilot light. Are we talking about the same sound?
I highly doubt they are. The tick you have is abnormal and if they have not seen or read your other thread, they won't exactly know what you are dealing with.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2013, 06:57 AM   #11
ubxssangz
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
I highly doubt they are. The tick you have is abnormal and if they have not seen or read your other thread, they won't exactly know what you are dealing with.
Meaning that this is not a cct problem?

Does anyone have any guidelines of how to remove the engine?

Old July 17th, 2013, 07:12 AM   #12
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubxssangz View Post
Meaning that this is not a cct problem?
Exactly.

This is what a good running bike sounds like with the cam chain guide (part of the CCT) missing. Sounds nothing like yours.

Link to original page on YouTube.

DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2013, 02:38 PM   #13
ubxssangz
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Exactly.

This is what a good running bike sounds like with the cam chain guide (part of the CCT) missing. Sounds nothing like yours.

Link to original page on YouTube.

that ticking is actually one of the 2 sounds that i have.
fyi, I tried reseting the cct by only unscrewing the middle 10mm bolt, retracting it and letting go. Not sure if it has enough tension though. Kind of felt week when I removed the screw driver.

Old July 17th, 2013, 04:11 PM   #14
LoD575
ninjette.org sage

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2006 Ninja ZX6R-636

The tick I have is a very light ticking noise very similar to the first video DaBlue1 posted. It sounds nothing like a rod knock/piston slap/valve piston impact.
LoD575 is offline   Reply With Quote