ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old August 24th, 2013, 07:20 PM   #1
Thorgrim
War Hippie

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): CB500F

Stupid little fall-down

So, around July 8th I returned to the ranks of motorcyclists after around 30 years gone. On my "maiden voyage" after an hour of wonderful riding, I was trying to turn into the parking area of an antique shop and got pushed into a hot get-off by some *($*^ in an SUV who refused to get over into the vacant left lane. The parking lot is ****, mixed asphalt/gravel/grass and there's an uphill dogleg to hit it. I made the turns, slid to a stop ... and promptly fell over on the right side. My right leg was caught under the bike and it levered me into a body slam onto my right shoulder. Kinda hurt, but no lost skin and no big deal. Jacket armour soaked up most of it, I figured.

So, my shoulder kept hurting, my doc had an MRI done - looks like I broke it, and about a month and a half ago. Sonofabitch. I wondered why I got a call to see an orthopedist a couple of days after the MRI, it usually takes 1-2 months to get in if you aren't a regular patient. Apparently, they're concerned.

Doesn't hurt that much, and the MRI commented that there was minimal displacement. There's also a comment about "REMAINING rotator cuff" being sound, don't know what that means.

Gettin' old ain't fer sissies.
Thorgrim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2013, 07:30 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorgrim View Post
............My right leg was caught under the bike and it levered me into a body slam onto my right shoulder. Kinda hurt, but no lost skin and no big deal. Jacket armour soaked up most of it, I figured.
Let's hope for minimal damage to your shoulder.

That sounds like muscle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotator_cuff

Sorry about your fall, Bob.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2013, 07:45 PM   #3
Thorgrim
War Hippie

Eh, **** happens. Actually, I was concerned about the rotator cuff most, as surgery to correct that can have a long recovery time and I didn't want to lose that much riding time. The MRI report includes "There is an acute minimally displaced fracture involving the acromion" which is part of the scapula. That's the break and will probably fix itself since it's still where it belongs more or less, but there's also some language about "REMAINING rotator cuff is unremarkable". That could be not so good, I really don't like the word "remaining" in that context.

It's no big deal, I'm just amazed that I've been putting up with this over a month when I should have had it looked into sooner. Duh, me! What's worse, I can't think of a thing I could have done differently in that situation (other than, don't fall over). I've encountered the "this is MY lane and I'm not getting over" attitude while driving a car before, but not on a moto. Such is life. At least I'm not hurt much, I've read about some horrendous stuff here.

Old August 24th, 2013, 08:14 PM   #4
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Rub some dirt in it, you'll be fine. Did you swap insurance info with the SUV driver?

But seriously...gravel sucks.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2013, 08:21 PM   #5
Thorgrim
War Hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
Rub some dirt in it, you'll be fine. Did you swap insurance info with the SUV driver?

But seriously...gravel sucks.
No, I doubt that self-absorbed *^**%%&* even knew she'd crowded me and was long gone by the time I'd regained my feet. And yeah, I'm of the "rub some dirt on it and walk it off" crowd usually, that's why I waited so long to get it checked.

Old August 26th, 2013, 10:42 AM   #6
Thorgrim
War Hippie

Just got back from the orthopedist. Yeah! no rotator cuff damage other than "61 years worth of wear and tear" according to the doc. Boo! my scapula is broken. Light duty for a few months, and he strongly recommended that I not fall over on it again.

Old August 26th, 2013, 11:08 AM   #7
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Next time you see your doctor punch him in the face and say "61 years of wear and tear this".

Yeah.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2013, 01:32 PM   #8
Thorgrim
War Hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
Next time you see your doctor punch him in the face and say "61 years of wear and tear this".

Yeah.
Nooooo, I might need him again. I'm contemplating whether a 61-year-old needing sports doctors with some regularity might be a sign of a lack of maturity on my part. Screw it, LET'S RIDE BIKES!!!!!!!