ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old May 9th, 2011, 11:12 AM   #1
Mekkakat
Eternal Noob

Name: Chase

Motorcycle(s): "Blanka" 07' Ninja 250

Meeting cool people, just because you ride.

So ever since I've got my bike, it's like I've joined some kind of club.

Not like a Ninja 250 club, or even a streetbiker club, but more like a nation-wide hobbyist group. Almost anyone I see riding comes over to say hi, compliment my bike, or just see what it is, and because of that I've met easily more people in just this riding season, than I have since I graduated college. It's awesome.

So here's one of my stories, and I want to hear some of yours too:

I was pulling into Taco Bell on my lunch break, and this guy on a KTM Superduke (awesome bike btw) all modded up and slick looking, pulls up behind me.

He parked in the same spot as me and as we took our helmets off, I noticed he was a little older (late 40's/early 50s). We went in, ordered, and he asked if I wanted to talk bikes while we ate.

He was the GM for an international company in which he travels all over the world for, and every place he goes, he either ships a bike with him, or rents one there. He showed me pictures of him riding all over the place, and his kids are all getting into it too. He's part of all of these groups and clubs, has been on all these crazy rides and tours, and gave me practically a pamphlet of info on a lot of things.

When we left, he rode beside me for a bit, then waved, popped a wheelie and beeped as he took off.

That guy's awesome for being his age and still having fun like that imo.
Mekkakat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2011, 11:42 AM   #2
oroboros
GDTRFB

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 - sold 2005 EX500R project

Cool story. Sounds like an interesting guy.

Since having my bike here in E. TN I have met many other bikers. Yesterday I met a guy on a red Ninja 250 (just like mine ). He was from Tuscaloosa AL and was up this way to ride the Gap. Just a few miles down the road I met guy on a bad-ass KTM motard that he built. Originally from Ohio, he moved here a few years ago and works as a technician at the local Harley dealer. He says the cops don't even blink an eye at him on his KTM becuase it looks more like a dirt bike. When he is out on his Duc they keep their eyes on him! I meet folks from all over the country who come here for the great riding. Met some dudes who rode in from Michigan this morning at the Gap.

It's easy to strike up conversation and I always walk away learning something new.

Old May 10th, 2011, 02:27 PM   #3
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): EX250J

People in my office are generally friendly and social, stopping in for the occasional chat. A few weeks back, I mentioned I had bought a Ninja 250 and it has quickly become the #1 topic of conversation whenever people stop by. People are fascinated by it, even though there are a ton of people that ride to work. Except for one of the IT guys that comes in on a Katana, I'm the only one that has a sport bike; everyone else rides cruisers.

I wouldn't say I've met anyone b/c of my bike, yet. I would say it has helped me get to know a lot of people better. In fact, last week the director of my contracts department pulled me aside to talk while he went to smoke a cigar. We must have talked about riding and smoking for an hour. He invited me to come by his house next time I am up his way to check out his cruiser and custom. He's 60, but looks/acts like he's 45. I hope I'm half as cool as him when I hit 60 lol.
Liber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2011, 06:01 AM   #4
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

I would say it's no different than any other hobby really. Just like bicycling, fishing, racing cars, photography or anything else. You're bound to meet people while you're out there doing it.
CynicalC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2011, 07:26 AM   #5
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Met hundreds of new friends here solely as a result of my riding activities. GeorgiaHooligan and I met up here on ninjette.org, and have been hitting the twisties and stunting for a while now. We recently found another 250 rider and have been riding quite a bit.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2011, 07:34 AM   #6
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

I have met like 10-15 cool ass people just from ninjette alone. Everytime I ride I meet some cool people and riders. Stop at a spot, chat up other riders it's part of the culture and I dig it.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2011, 07:44 AM   #7
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
You meet the coolest people at the track. Not necessarily on the track (people's attitude changes at speed).

Old May 11th, 2011, 08:06 AM   #8
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): EX250J

Certain hobbies attract certain types of people that I do/do not mesh well with. This hobby is no different, but there is something a bit more "fraternal" about riding. Some people "get it" and others don't.

For instance, when I comment on flying or diving, people always react positively, regardless if they participate or not. When I comment on riding or shooting, it's a toss up on the reaction I get, sometimes positive, sometimes hostile. I think when something is controversial, it brings the people who "get it" a bit closer together, as I know I feel far more comfortable talking to other people who enjoy it themselves.

Maybe it's a sign of immaturity, but as of late I've felt more drawn to "controversial" hobbies. Going skydiving in a few weeks lol
Liber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2011, 01:19 AM   #9
dyeforever
ninjette.org member

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 04 250r(sold), 09 250r(sold), 07 CRF450x, 07 sv650(sold)

I have had a lot more people come up to me and talk story since i got my 450. lot of older guys coming up and talking about old dirt bikes they have rode and the great tales they have. Spend a good half hour talk to a older guy about old bike with a radial shifter, and never got the guys name. haha. very cool.
dyeforever is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2011, 04:58 AM   #10
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Met cc cowboy. 'Nuff said. Haha
Posted via Mobile Device
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote