ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old September 28th, 2019, 11:14 AM   #1
JRay
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Suggestions please

I just reinstalled the carbs ( just connected to the head side to see if the were put back together properly ) before i reassembled everything. I got the bike to run. However after letting it sit for about an hour I tried to start it one more time before putting it all back together..... can't get it to fire up

Any help would be greatly appreciated
JRay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2019, 02:08 PM   #2
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Measure vacuum at petcock when cranking. Loose-fitting or cracked vacuum hose can open up more when warmed up. Causing loss of vacuum on way from carbs.

Verify petcock doesn't leak petrol when off. Should only flow when vacuum applied.
Verify float-valves in carbs stops petrol flow at proper height.

Test for spark at spark-plug wires.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2019, 05:21 PM   #3
JRay
ninjette.org member

Carbs. :/

Soo - I got the bike to start if I spray starting fluid into them.

I pulled the carbs out and Iam going to go thrunthem again just in case something got into them from the fuel line (since I didn't have a fuel filter in)

Is there anyway to test if the bike will run without putting the gas tank back on? Can I just put the fuel hose into a small gas can ?

Also, is there a right way and a wrong way for the little needle to hang on the float bowl?

Thanks again for any advice

Old September 28th, 2019, 07:53 PM   #4
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

Yup, you can fill small bottle with petrol and hang it above carb with hose. Kinda like an IV-drip for bike!

Don't use starting-fluid as it will melt sensitive components of carb and make things worse.

Depending upon how long bike has been sitting, very likely it's clogged with dried petrol plastic varnish. This requires complete disassembly to last nut, bolt and individual component. Rubber o-rings and seals replaced. All jet-holes, bleed-holes and fuel-circuits physically scrubbed and flossed with wire. Ultrasonic dip with radioactive caustic solvents for months on end. Micro soda-blasting @ 100000psi to clear everything out. Do search for "clean carbs ducatiman" for more photos and details. Basically you want to restore carbs back to factory-fresh condition like it was when leaving showroom floor. Anything less will result in compromised functionality.

Old September 29th, 2019, 01:53 AM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

/moved to new-gen tech

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2019, 06:05 AM   #6
ducatiman

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRay View Post
Soo - I got the bike to start if I spray starting fluid into them.
I pulled the carbs out and Iam going to go thrunthem again just in case something got into them from the fuel line (since I didn't have a fuel filter in)
Is there anyway to test if the bike will run without putting the gas tank back on? Can I just put the fuel hose into a small gas can ?
Also, is there a right way and a wrong way for the little needle to hang on the float bowl?
Thanks again for any advice
Clean tank (no rust or particles on bottom getting into fuel stream) and fresh fuel essential.
Needles simply slide on to float tang...into seat and float pins contain the works.

If you continue to have issues requiring frustrating, repeated carbs on/off sessions...I'm at your service for a true, pro resto....way beyond clean.
PM if you are so inclined.

PS ditch the start fluid....plastic slides and diaphragms are allergic to that stuff!
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2019, 06:46 AM   #7
JRay
ninjette.org member

Thank you!

Thanks for the feedback. I had no idea starter fluid was so bad when used sparingly. Also, are there any link she that show how to properly adjust the floats? I have a digital caliper that I bought to do it. When I look at the both sitting in the bowl. They appear to be at different heights, just by looking at them. Also - is there a right way to hang the little needle on the float? It appears that the little wire you hang is off set a little

Thx again for all help.

Old October 1st, 2019, 06:47 PM   #8
JRay
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the input.

Hey all. Thanks again for your help and suggestions. I went ahead and replaced the 2 pilot jets and made some float adjustments and the bike is now running.

Iam going to do an oil change next and possibly make some clutch adjustments. The shifter is very hard to kick up... I'm not sure what the cause might be.

Have a good night!

Old October 1st, 2019, 08:50 PM   #9
DannoXYZ

Could be clutch.

Could also be shift linkage. Two short arms connecting each end of shifter-rod should be as close to 90-degrees as possible to rod. This ensures maximum rotation of gear-change shaft when you move shift-lever.

If either lever is too far away from 90-degrees, moving shift-lever just tries to stretch shift-rod in one direction or other rather than rotate gear-change shaft.