ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old April 1st, 2011, 11:56 AM   #1
dlebe250
ninjette.org member

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 1994 250

Textile Jacket Recommendations

Hey guys, I'm looking for a versatile textile jacket, one to be worn mostly during the warm summer months but also having the waterproof possibility. Right now I'm leaning towards getting the Tour Master transition 2 jacket but wanted to see if anyone else had some recommendations for others. I know I can't get great protection with more ventilation but a good compromise would be great. Currently, i have the Frank Thomas XTi leather jacket which is getting to be quite hot, especially with pants and boots. Thanks!
dlebe250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2011, 10:24 AM   #2
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

Speed and strength have some great jackets, coast is clear and hell n back are my two favs from them, vest and wind liners and the slaves zip off to reveal mesh arms with bid vents in front and back as well. It is high quality stuff and not super expensive! I love there stuff.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2011, 10:27 AM   #3
DEXSPEED
2012 is here,let's ride!!

Name: dex

Motorcycle(s): 2009R,'12 suzuki +500

Old April 2nd, 2011, 11:20 AM   #4
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

For Hot weather on the street. We have the Joe Rocket Pheonix 5.0, is really nice
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2011, 09:57 PM   #5
Moldbuster
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Limited Ed

Take a look at the Motoport GP-2 and be sure to read the section on their website about Kevlar and what happens to most textile in a crash...
Moldbuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2011, 10:34 AM   #6
Newguy70
ninjette.org member

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

Hi,

If you get a chance take a look at the Revit Air or Rev it Tornado, I would recommend the Rev it Tarmac however the tarmac has what looks to be synthetic leather in a few places on the jacket and I am sure that will flake away after a few months, as the same thing happened on my kushitani in certain spots. I have not tried the Air & Tornado outside of a shop, but they do seem worth the coin. The air is450 duron I think, and the tornado is a bit stronger if I remember correctly.I still have not decided on a jacket as well. Curious as to what most are wearing during the hot season. I am in Bangkok and need to find something that will replace my Kushitani as it's brutal....

Old April 7th, 2011, 10:46 AM   #7
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

I just ordered my Teknic Supervent Mesh Jacket last week. I love the looks and extra padding. If you want more protection, they have the Teknic Supervent Pro Mesh Jacket.

http://www.revzilla.com/product/tekn...nt-mesh-jacket

http://www.revzilla.com/product/tekn...ro-mesh-jacket

I'd also add that I've had a speed and strength jacket. They're fine, but the reason why their stuff is cheaper is because of the materials used. They use something called AR-600, which is a polyester based material. Cordura is nylon based so it will offer better abrasion resistance.

http://vfrworld.com/forums/gear-acce...-material.html

Old April 7th, 2011, 11:58 AM   #8
Newguy70
ninjette.org member

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by CThunder-blue View Post
I just ordered my Teknic Supervent Mesh Jacket last week. I love the looks and extra padding. If you want more protection, they have the Teknic Supervent Pro Mesh Jacket.

http://www.revzilla.com/product/tekn...nt-mesh-jacket

http://www.revzilla.com/product/tekn...ro-mesh-jacket

I'd also add that I've had a speed and strength jacket. They're fine, but the reason why their stuff is cheaper is because of the materials used. They use something called AR-600, which is a polyester based material. Cordura is nylon based so it will offer better abrasion resistance.

http://vfrworld.com/forums/gear-acce...-material.html

Any chance of some close up pics on the armor, and your opinion of the jacket once you get it. Thnx

Jay

Old April 7th, 2011, 12:36 PM   #9
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Sure thing. I'll let you know what I find. I believe knox CE armor is standard for teknic and I plan on using my forcefield back insert in the jacket when I switch to it for summer riding.

Old April 11th, 2011, 09:00 AM   #10
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Just got the jacket and it fits well. It has the snap on armor adjustments just like my fieldsheer.

What I like: The mesh is fantastic. It's much better than the speed and strength jacket I had. The S&S jacket had loose mesh that was more like wearing fishnet stockings. The Teknic jacket has a tighter thicker woven mesh that flows plenty of air and will offer better abrasion protection. I also like the two velcro zipper covers that are at the top and bottom of the jacket to protect the bike from scuffs. The armor is well placed as usual and the velcro waist adjustment is good. It could likely fit up to a 40" waist. I'm a 36 and had no problems snugging it up.

What I didn't like: The wrist hook and loop system isn't the best. The thick jacket material goes all the way around the wrist, so when you adjust it, it bunches it up. Removing the liner helped somewhat, but the "problem" is still there. On my Fieldsheer Congo 2.0 textile jacket, they use a neoprene triangle at that spot so when I close the wrist, it doesn't fold the fabric over created a lump. The other thing I didn't like is the liner is all velcro. I've seen jackets where the wrists are velcro and that's ok, but this jacket also uses velcro to attach to the main body of the jacket. Zippers would have been much better here, especially in a $150 jacket. The saving grace is that I don't intend on using the liner, so it's a moot point for me. I expected more out of a mesh jacket for $150.