Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old February 2nd, 2014, 08:48 PM   #1
spc2125
ninjette.org member

Name: Steven

Motorcycle(s): 10 Ninja 250

Looking for a comeback !

Hello all !

I have been gone for about 4-5 months. My last post was about getting into a tiny accident and totally my tiny bike. (07 ninja 250).

I thought it was just a phase because I had only started riding that summer, but I find myself wanted another bike! I still believe that I am a beginner so I am going to stay with the ninja 250. However, I wasn't a fan of the body style in the 07 and so I will be looking for an 08+. I will also be attending the motorcycle classes so I will be better informed and learn some habits that may have prevented my fall. Nevertheless, anybody else go from a pre-gen to a new gen ninjette?!? Thoughts?!

Ive been doing my searches about the differences and will continue to do so!

Regarding price, I was thinking about around the $2k range. I would love to walk away with an 08+ ninjette for only $2k. But we shall see ! Thoughts on avg. price for a new gen now a days? KBB says $2200 low value and $2900 high value.

I look forward to getting on a bike again! I miss it incredibly much !

Steven
spc2125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2014, 09:08 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Good luck!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2014, 09:30 PM   #3
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Come spring there will be tons of 250s where the owners didn't know any better and don't understand why their bike won't start when they simply forgot to winterize the bike leading to the carbs getting all gummed up. This can be used to your advantage to find yourself a super cheap 250 in otherwise good condition. Realistically though, I'd say you should be able to find a newgen that has been dropped once or twice for scratches and no real damage for around 2 grand without issue. Good luck
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2014, 09:33 PM   #4
spc2125
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
Come spring there will be tons of 250s where the owners didn't know any better and don't understand why their bike won't start when they simply forgot to winterize the bike leading to the carbs getting all gummed up. This can be used to your advantage to find yourself a super cheap 250 in otherwise good condition. Realistically though, I'd say you should be able to find a newgen that has been dropped once or twice for scratches and no real damage for around 2 grand without issue. Good luck
So whats the repair for a poorly winterized bike?

Just clean the carbs?

Old February 2nd, 2014, 09:36 PM   #5
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by spc2125 View Post
So whats the repair for a poorly winterized bike?

Just clean the carbs?
In most cases yes, clean the carbs and check over all the other fluids & rubber bits. Basically all the stuff you should do when you buy a used bike anyway + clean carbs.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2014, 09:36 PM   #6
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
Realistically though, I'd say you should be able to find a newgen that has been dropped once or twice for scratches and no real damage for around 2 grand without issue. Good luck
^ This. A 250 that looks like it's new off the showroom is going to have a huge price bump, and that will be its strongest selling point. Someone selling a "pristine" condition bike may have replaced scratched / broken fairings just to cover up other problems, while someone selling a bike with scratches / scuffs or broken fairings are known to be more honest and willing to tell you about them.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2014, 09:46 PM   #7
spc2125
ninjette.org member

Body damage isnt really a big deal for me. I have a friend whos an auto body guy but in all honesty, why waste that potential $4-600 extra when Im most likely going to drop it myself anyway?

Old February 3rd, 2014, 07:26 AM   #8
Ducati999
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Welcome back. Riding has always been my favorite addiction. I also have left (riding) for times in the past but I always have to return. You should not have an issue finding a used 250 for around $2000. Craigs list will be your friend there are usually more than one for around 2 grand listed in my area and if they are a little over just showing the cash to prove you are serious is usually enough to get them to drop 1-200 off the price. Good luck with your search and post pics of your new ride when you get one.
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2014, 06:56 PM   #9
spc2125
ninjette.org member

Just an update...

I bought a subaru outback from my cousin to fix and flip and I'm just waiting for somebody to buy it now so I can use some of the profit to buy a bike.

I just found this one craigslist and I think its right up my alley

"Clean title in hand
8100 miles
Always garage stored
Some cosmetic damage (see pics):
-scratches on left fairing and handlebar from when the previous owner slid through an intersection
-small crack in right fairing (fell in truck during transportation)
No mechanical problems
All stock

This is a perfect first bike: it is cheap and holds value well, cheap on insurance, is fun to ride around town, and if you are a little rough on it, no worries."

List Price is $2500 but I figure $2000 will hopefully be sufficient given the damage and all. But I dont mind the scratches because I'll probably add more. Worst comes to worst, I have a friend whos an auto body guy who could paint it for like $100.

Here are some pics....

I have a brand new oem clutch lever I ordered when my previous bike when down that I never installed, so I was curious if those are interchangeable.

Old February 18th, 2014, 07:20 PM   #10
spc2125
ninjette.org member

Or I could go with this bike

2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r. Aftermarket yoshimura exahust and red-tinted windscreen. Bike has 16k miles. Runs perfect. Minor cosmetic damage on the right plastic. Needs tires. $2100 obo. Priced to sell!

Things I like is that it has the yoshi exhaust already and that's what I had already planned to do so I figure that'll save me about $200-300.

What I don't like about it is the 16k miles. I've been reading in the wiki's that these should last at least 50k+ miles... I still just get the feeling that this bike was not taken very well care of. Its priced at $2100 OBO so I could prob get him down a few hundred dollars which is good.

Old April 6th, 2014, 05:17 PM   #11
spc2125
ninjette.org member

Just updating this thread. I've sold the car that was holding up my dough so now I got the money to spend!

Keeping myself to a budget of around 2k.

There's a bike about an hour from me.

2009 ninja 250
black w/ 7k miles
Some scratches on the side.

The list price says $2500 OBO

I contacted him and he said $2300 is his lowest.
So hopefully he has this by next weekend so I can go look at it.
I would need him to tow it to me because I'm not going to drive it back and don't have a truck to do such things.
He actually owns a towing company but he says he won't do it for free. So we shall see...

I just hope he still has it so I can buy it this weekend ! I'm getting tired of seeing all these bikes and not having one

Old April 6th, 2014, 06:20 PM   #12
Skullz
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ray

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

Sounds like a nice deal, but don't pressure yourself to get something. Good things come to those who wait, so they say. lol
Skullz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2014, 07:17 PM   #13
spc2125
ninjette.org member

Hahah do you see this thread? Ive been searching DAILY for ninjas for months !!

But yes, if i dont feel 100% good about it, im not getting it.

Old April 8th, 2014, 09:33 PM   #14
spc2125
ninjette.org member

Well seeing that its going to be 77 on monday I was REALLY itching to get a bike. I was doing some late night searching and found this beauty!

2010 Ninja 250
5500 miles

I talked to the guy and he has agreed on the price of $2300 !! Which i think I am getting a really good deal here.

Heres the description

"I am selling my red and black 2010 ninja 250 with just a little over 5500 miles on it. I am the second owner of this beautiful bike but she is in really good condition. Everything is stock except for the rear fender eliminator but I have the original piece as well if you want it. Never ridden hard, dropped, stunted or seen any rain or snow. Garage kept and well maintained during the winter months. I am asking 2800 but the price is negotiable so feel free to make me an offer."

Now to just arrange pickup because he is about 1hr from me...

AHH TOO EXCITED! I already want to start buying parts for it!

Old April 8th, 2014, 09:44 PM   #15
Vad18
ninjette.org member

Name: Vadim

Well don't rush. I know how it can be when you REALLY want something. First take a look at the bike if you have not yet. If you cannot ride it, have them ride it for you at the very least, or have someone come with you.

A bike with 5000 miles can be in worst condition than a 20k mile bike, so always best to have a good inspection and test drive if possible. Remember that this is not the only bike there is out there. But if you do get it, enjoy it man.

You probably could drop a few 100's and see what he says, but before doing that see it first. I was crazy about a bike too, a almost bought my self a piece of junk because I "excused" everything that was wrong with it. And guess what, bought a 2012 for only 1700 clean title, bike was dropped and had quite abit of cosmetic damage, guy bought some older fairing etc, but hey only had 180 miles. :P
Vad18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2014, 09:52 PM   #16
spc2125
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vad18 View Post
Well don't rush. I know how it can be when you REALLY want something. First take a look at the bike if you have not yet. If you cannot ride it, have them ride it for you at the very least, or have someone come with you.

A bike with 5000 miles can be in worst condition than a 20k mile bike, so always best to have a good inspection and test drive if possible. Remember that this is not the only bike there is out there. But if you do get it, enjoy it man.

You probably could drop a few 100's and see what he says, but before doing that see it first. I was crazy about a bike too, a almost bought my self a piece of junk because I "excused" everything that was wrong with it. And guess what, bought a 2012 for only 1700 clean title, bike was dropped and had quite abit of cosmetic damage, guy bought some older fairing etc, but hey only had 180 miles. :P

Original price listed was $2800 and we were negotiating and landed at $2300. But i've been doing a LOT of searching and had to weed out a lot. But truthfully, there arent a lot of newer gen ninja 250s that are going for less than 2800... that are in great condition.

But nonetheless, I will definitely give it a good inspection before I fork over the cash. I've bought a clunker car before so I've learned my lesson to not get my emotions get the best of me haha.

Just this nice weather and my crappy mpgs are kicking me to get another bike.... my mom on the other hand, not the happiest about it

Old April 8th, 2014, 09:59 PM   #17
Vad18
ninjette.org member

Name: Vadim

Quote:
Originally Posted by spc2125 View Post
Original price listed was $2800 and we were negotiating and landed at $2300. But i've been doing a LOT of searching and had to weed out a lot. But truthfully, there arent a lot of newer gen ninja 250s that are going for less than 2800... that are in great condition.

But nonetheless, I will definitely give it a good inspection before I fork over the cash. I've bought a clunker car before so I've learned my lesson to not get my emotions get the best of me haha.

Just this nice weather and my crappy mpgs are kicking me to get another bike.... my mom on the other hand, not the happiest about it
Yeah my parents were not to happy with me getting my bike, but was able to convince them both.

2300$ does not sound too bad, since it was never dropped that is a very good price. In my area have a 2010, but has been dropped going for 2300 obo atm. (http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/4407796727.html) but again bikes in my area can be cheaper than others.

If everything is okay with the bike and no problems, with regular maintenance, I think you could go for it. 2300 sounds like a decent price for a bike that is in really good condition.
Vad18 is offline   Reply With Quote