ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old May 12th, 2015, 05:38 AM   #1
frostyjaws
ninjette.org newbie

Name: steve

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r 2008

any write ups on replacing a stator?

just got a new stator and gasket and now i will attempt to install, what do i need to know?
frostyjaws is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2015, 07:39 AM   #2
flitecontrol
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): Rebel 250s, Ninja 250s VN750s (currently nine total)

A service manual will walk you through the procedure step-by-step. They are useful for doing any kind of work on the bike and usually pay for themselves the first time you use them.

Old May 12th, 2015, 08:40 AM   #3
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

Name: Unregistered

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2008 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
A service manual will walk you through the procedure step-by-step. They are useful for doing any kind of work on the bike and usually pay for themselves the first time you use them.

Truer words haven't been spoken.

OP, I can shoot the factory service manual in PDF form of you like, or if you search around here, or Google, may be able to find it. Also, believe Garth285 has it on his website. Let me know.

Old May 12th, 2015, 09:41 AM   #4
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

It's plug and play but it is a pain. Get some kind of gasket sealant/holder to hold the gaskset in place as you place it on the motor.

You have to drain oil and coolant as the water pump blocks the stator cover. You will need to give the cover a decent yank to get it off once you've removed all the bolts, it's magnetic!

What I did was once each bolt is completely loose (you should remove them in a criss-cross pattern) I taped them to the stator cover without completely removing them from their spot. This way you keep the different sized screws in their place and know where they go.

One important thing
At some point Kawi changed the shape of the wire connectors at the end of the wiring from the stator. There was some arcing going on between the wires I've heard. Make sure the connectors at the end of the wiring from your new stator fit in to your wiring harness.
CVMA #531
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2015, 10:07 AM   #5
flitecontrol
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): Rebel 250s, Ninja 250s VN750s (currently nine total)

The manual will have specific directions on how to remove the cover and the torque values, if any, for the bolts.

Old May 12th, 2015, 12:45 PM   #6
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Ah yes - torque is very important. I overtorqued mine and cracked the cover. Definitely use manual.
CVMA #531

Old May 12th, 2015, 02:47 PM   #7
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
In simple terms, remove the case cover, swap out the stators. It's not hard. In long terms, get a manual to make sure you use the right torque values and connect the wiring correctly.

The stator is the stationary part attached to the inside of the case cover.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2015, 03:51 PM   #8
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Oh yeah forgot you can do it without getting a new cover...

Be careful when unscrewing the stator inside. It's bolted down really tight and if your hand slips it's really easy to slice yourself on the edge of the case cover. Ask me how I know..
CVMA #531

Old May 13th, 2015, 06:35 PM   #9
Kurgan
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kurgan

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Stator testing and removal/installation procedures covered in the Clymer manual on page 218.

The best thing you can ever buy for any vehicle you own is a manual like this. Clymer, Haynes, Chilton's, they've all got manuals that cover pretty much anything with wheels and can save you thousands of dollars in repair fees, especially the headache fees that come with screwing it up by not following a manual in the first place.

I ordered mine from the local bike shop, about $40 after tax, worth every penny. It covers all Ninja 250 variants from 1988 to 2012.
Kurgan is offline   Reply With Quote