ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 3rd, 2015, 01:41 AM   #1
Gavin_Coffey
ninjette.org member

Name: Gavin

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja EX250

Exclamation Wondering if something is normal with the shifter.

Okay. So I had to put a new engine in my bike because somebody (my father) rolled a bearing on my old engine. Anyway I've had the different engine in this bike for a year now and the bike has always been weird when shifting...

The issue is that I can shift to first, neutral, and second just fine and with ease, that's all normal. When I try to shift into third the lever will go all the way up and do nothing, there isn't a clunk or click or anything, however if I slightly press/tap the lever (as if I were downshifting) the shifter somehow resets and will shift into 3rd... This happens when I shift up to all gears except for when I am shifting to first and second...

Is it serious, or is something just out of spec? Is there bad trans. damage? Should I be worried?

Old July 3rd, 2015, 06:39 AM   #2
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
I guess I would disassemble the shift linkage and clean/lube everything, making sure nothing is binding. It sounds like it may not be moving freely.

That's the first (simple) thing to do. After that, it gets a lot more complicated.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 3rd, 2015, 10:15 AM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Some times the movement of the exterior mechanism is limited by some fixed part of the frame or footpeg.
It is also important that the linkage road can rotate freely for any position of the mechanism.

If all the above is good, then opening the clutch cavity and checking the selector mechanism would be the next step.

The gears and dogs are normally not the cause of that abnormal shifting.
If previously forced, the internal legs that move the dogs sideways may be permanently bent, but all gears should be off in that case.

Please, take a look at these:
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=114020

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=146445

Link to original page on YouTube.

Last futzed with by Motofool; July 3rd, 2015 at 11:58 AM.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2015, 11:59 AM   #4
Gavin_Coffey
ninjette.org member

Name: Gavin

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post

Some times the movement of the exterior mechanism is limited by some fixed part of the frame or footpeg.
It is also important that the linkage road can rotate freely for any position of the mechanism.

All all above is good, then opening the clutch cavity and checking the selector mechanism would be the next step.

The gears and dogs are normally not the cause of that abnormal shifting.
If previously forced, the internal legs that move the dogs sideways may be permanently bent, but all gears should be off in that case.

Please, take a look at these:
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=114020

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=146445

Link to original page on YouTube.

Well my mechanism appears to work fine...

I'm guessing something is out of spec... First gear you can shift into no problem, second too, however when you go to shift into third the lever will move all the way up and do nothing, if before I try to shift up into 3rd I move the lever down just enough to feel the force of the spring and try again it will shift into 3rd... I have to press it down ever so slightly to get into 4th, 5th, and 6th, too.

Old July 3rd, 2015, 12:06 PM   #5
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin_Coffey View Post
Well my mechanism appears to work fine...

I'm guessing something is out of spec... First gear you can shift into no problem, second too, however when you go to shift into third the lever will move all the way up and do nothing, if before I try to shift up into 3rd I move the lever down just enough to feel the force of the spring and try again it will shift into 3rd... I have to press it down ever so slightly to get into 4th, 5th, and 6th, too.
The shifting strokes are not completed for each manipulation of the foot lever.
The shifter mechanism needs to finish its forward movement in order to go back and reload.

Then, you may be able to increase the range of movement of the selector mechanism, by relocating the arm on the shifting shaft to be as perpendicular as possible respect to the connecting rod and as parallel as possible to the little arm of the foot lever.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2015, 03:14 PM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Adjust your lever down some so there is adequate range of motion, there is NOT infinite upward adjustment to allow for boot thickness or rider preference. At some point it will stop working as expected. If that is not the cause, something is mechanically wrong.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2015, 11:07 PM   #7
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
check the arrangement of the shift lever be sure the cranks on each end from a 90 degree angle with the rod.

The position of the rod to the levers can get so far off that insted of rotating them it pushes them sideways. think about the levers being full circles or discs. The rod needs to be Tangent to those circles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shifter linkage.jpg (53.9 KB, 88 views)

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote