ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycling News

Old December 8th, 2022, 03:04 PM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[cycleworld.com] - Royal Nepal Adventure

Cycle World goes on a high-altitude adventure in Nepal on Royal Enfield’s Himalayan.

Click here to view on their site.

Surrounded by the white caps of the Himalayas and dotted with Tibetan temples, it's easy to be distracted on Upper Mustang on the way to Lo Manthang. (Jeff Allen and Ankit Sharuna/)Moments before cresting an unnamed Nepalese hilltop, my Royal Enfield Himalayan and I were gasping for oxygen in the high elevation, both motorcycle and rider sluggish from a touch of altitude sickness. We were also determined to stay on the gas, to be the first to the top and soak in the view before the others arrived, to see another view of a sky that can’t decide whether to rain or snow, the scene beautiful and mournful in the same moment. A featureless crowned mesa at 15,000 feet on the Tibetan plateau, nestled in a barren basin ringed with the snowcapped peaks of the Himalayas. This is a place I never imagined existed.

All I could hear was my own attempts to catch my breath and the distinct ticking sound of the Royal Enfield as the motor tried to cool itself. Miles below, at the other end of a serpentine tract that would suddenly disappear in the mist and reappear just as suddenly, lies the ancient Forbidden Kingdom of Lo Manthang.

Wandering about on the seat of a motorcycle is endlessly beautiful. (Jeff Allen and Ankit Sharuna/)Each year, except when briefly interrupted by the pandemic, a team at Royal Enfield has organized and supported a handful of rides across India and Nepal. These rides visit many stunning locations, presenting many challenges for the machine-mounted human along the way. The biomes of the destination options are wide-ranging: Desert, mountains, low heavy heat or frigid high cold, pick your poison.

Beyond this gate is the ancient city of Lo Manthang. (Jeff Allen and Ankit Sharuna/)At a price of just $1,900, the Himalayan Adventure Mustang is an incredible bargain—so incredible, in fact, that I diligently confirmed the numbers with each and every member of the Royal Enfield team. And the price of the tour to Lo Manthang includes just about everything a rider might need: rental of the motorcycle, hotel accommodations, breakfast and dinner, luggage support, and bike maintenance and repair as and when needed. After airfare, the expenses required of each rider are lunch and fuel, easily covered with a few Nepalese rupees per day. It’s the kind of bargain motorcycle tour that can only be produced in India, and Royal Enfield is uniquely positioned, both geographically and philosophically, to produce it.

It’s common practice to purchase fuel in plastic drinking bottles. This “station” was full service. (Jeff Allen and Ankit Sharuna/)That said, the adventure of a lifetime requires no small effort from the adventurer. I’ve already come literally halfway around the world, from the Republic of California to the city of Kathmandu, arriving in Nepal’s capital exhausted from sleep deprivation after two full days of air travel with not a minute spent in a proper bed. Then, during our first riders’ meeting just before dinner, tour leader and Royal Enfield Rides trail boss Santhosh Vijay Kumar informs our group that there had been a problem days before our arrival at the border.

Royal Enfield Rides trail boss Santhosh Vijay Kumar. (Jeff Allen and Ankit Sharuna/)It seems Nepali customs agents were a bit uptight when the transport truck attempted to cross from India into Nepal with a payload of some 30-odd Royal Enfield motorcycles in the trailer. International borders can be tricky like that. The motorcycles have not arrived here in Kathmandu, and will not arrive. This was not too much of a burden, we were told, easily solved by just a few hours’ ride to Siddharthnagar…in a tourist bus. Our motorcycle tour would now begin there. It’s no great inconvenience. No one complains. We are adventure motorcyclists, after all.

Oh, yay, free stickers! (Jeff Allen and Ankit Sharuna/)So this intrepid international band of brothers packed into two small buses like packages in an Amazon delivery van. We bounced along the dirty, impossibly crowded streets of Kathmandu, the Doorway to the Himalayas, criss-crossing the mountain passes of the Middle Hills. From the rear seat of the van I saw more than a dozen heads swaying side to side and up and down as the van careened down heavily potholed roads. Between the heads bobbing, the music playing in my headphones, and jet lag, I imagine the crowd at a heavy metal concert.

Tibetan Buddhist mask is intended to scare evil forces. (Jeff Allen and Ankit Sharuna/)
Buddhist monks in Lo Manthang. (Jeff Allen and Ankit Sharuna/)This first morning arrives in Siddharthnagar and I’m introduced to my machine. It’s a silver Royal Enfield Himalayan equipped with crashbars and well-worn Ceat Gripp XL dual sport tires. Adventure motorcycles existed long before RE introduced the Himalayan as a new model in 2016, and the Hima is nostalgic, classically styled, and vintage inspired. With 411cc of engine displacement and 21.81 hp, this ADV from India will not be doing anything in a hurry. And that’s perfect. Not being in a hurry in Nepal is a good thing. During the eight-day journey it will become apparent the Himalayan’s motor and suspension are well paired. The mixture of tarmac, dusty roads, and mud suits the Enfield well.

Keep the front wheel up if you want your boots to stay dry. (Jeff Allen and Ankit Sharuna/)Because of the delay at the border it is necessary we reposition ourselves from Siddharthnagar to Pokhara. Pokhara, an adventurer’s outpost, is a popular lakeside tourist town overloaded with foreign visitors seeking all sorts of experiences. It’s also the original planned starting point of this tour and the last Western-style accommodations we’d see for a while. From here until we return to Pokhara we will be sleeping in basic lodges known as Tibetan-style tea houses, a popular form of housing for trekkers and now motorcyclists throughout the region.

Eyes front. No left turn ahead. (Jeff Allen and Ankit Sharuna/)Riding at the foot of the Himalayas we experience the unforgettable sight of the world’s most majestic mountains rising to the sky. As we ride back and forth over the foothills, snaking along rivers and creeks, Nepal offers up incredible views of rich green terraced landscape, misty hilltops, and more than the occasional motorcycle graveyard. In this part of the world two-wheelers rule the road to the tune of more than 2.5 million units, and abandoned bikes are picked clean of any useful parts.

Castle in the sky sits at the foot of the Himalayas above the ancient city. (Jeff Allen and Ankit Sharuna/)The isolated land on the Tibetan Plateau that’s our ultimate destination lies within the Last Forbidden Kingdom, a region officially known as Upper Mustang. In the shadow of the Himalayas sits the ancient walled-in city of Lo Manthang, settled in 1380 and off-limits to foreigners until 1992. Even today, only a limited number of tourists are allowed to enter by permit only. It’s just about as remote as remote gets.

Roadside temple in Upper Mustang. (Jeff Allen and Ankit Sharuna/)Like rugged single-cylinder magic carpets, our machines will take us to magical places huddled in the shadow of great mountains, through Pokhara, Lo Manthang, Samar Village, Marpha, Tatopani, and finally back to Pokhara. Over the course of eight days we would experience each place in turn while coming to know the six elements of adventure biking: long days, dust, heat, rain, cold, and snow.

Nights are cold at 14,000 feet. (Jeff Allen and Ankit Sharuna/)
Compulsory stop in Kagbeni for Yak Donalds’ Happy Meal. Yak burger and fries are A+. (Jeff Allen and Ankit Sharuna/)The ride from Pokhara promises to be hot and humid. We are advised to be ready for an early departure, but after a leisurely breakfast, we’re reminded that large groups and strict start times are at odds; wrangling a group of 30 motorcyclists is akin to herding cats, so we roll into the Nepali heat well after the recommended hour. Navigating Siddharthnagar’s busy city traffic through a spicy aromatic blend of burning oil and overheated brakes is comparable to defending against an angry swarm of bees. Cars and motorcycles buzz about on all sides, and just to raise the degree of difficulty, Nepalese traffic drives mostly—there’s always a chance of a rogue operator—on the left side of the road. It’s a chorus of slow-moving diesel trucks and small-displacement motorcycles roaring, accompanied by a choir of constantly honking horns.

The first sign of mud. There will be more, much more. (Jeff Allen and Ankit Sharuna/)And the first few miles are at least as exciting as they are deafening. I’d no more settled into the bike to begin the process of acclimating to the low-level benevolent chaos going on around me when a scooter-mounted Nepali woman in flowing white robes with two small children as passengers darted out into traffic directly in front of me. She seemed to appear from nowhere, showing not even the slightest hint of a concern about what might be to her left or right. All I can do to keep our machines from colliding into a bloody mess is to lock up the rear wheel until smoke trails off the tire. As it is, I somehow avoided ruining the day for all involved; unfazed, the woman calmly continued across traffic without a care, apparently free from concern over what nearly came to be. On a positive note, I’d proved that the brakes work.

Word is this suspension bridge crossing is 1,000 feet high. I didn’t look down. (Jeff Allen and Ankit Sharuna/)
Fork rebuild in the hotel parking area. (Jeff Allen and Ankit Sharuna/)Twisting through the hot and humid lower valley elevations as the day drew on, we were treated to miles of paved road, dusty trails, and the occasional monkey sighting. The way was dotted with lovely villages, strung with brightly colored laundry, populated by barefooted kids and stray dogs, punctuated by outdoor restaurants. The sight was comfortable and homey, but also served as a reminder of how much of the world lives. We were lucky; friendly, gracious people with smiling faces were everywhere. Each Nepalese we encountered was impossibly polite, usually greeting us by performing a slight bow of the head, hands brought together with a soft, courteous Namaste.

A Nepalese woman walks with her cattle in the walled-in city. (Jeff Allen and Ankit Sharuna/)
Terrific moments like this. We’re all laughing despite the fact we had no idea what each other were saying. (Jeff Allen and Ankit Sharuna/)The people may have been alike in their humbling good manners, but the road was a different story. And when the quality of the road changes, it changes dramatically. Getting to Lo Manthang means riding a long, winding road that mostly follows the Kali Gandaki River. Over millions of years the waterway, known as the Black River for the dark coloration imparted by suspended clay particles, has carved what is often called the deepest gorge in the world, and the road follows along.

An Instagram moment in Upper Mustang. (Jeff Allen and Ankit Sharuna/)If it sounds majestic and scenic, well, by rights it should be. But what began as a busy two-lane main road quickly degraded into lumpy dirt with dust and diesel exhaust partially obscuring boulders and holes big enough to swallow a Mahindra. Narrow sections became bottlenecks as buses and dump trucks tried to occupy the same piece of road. It may not be anarchy, but there were no rules we could figure; from what I could gather, the driver most feverishly honking the horn has the right of way. Of course, this means every honking driver assumes they alone have earned that right of way. This scene repeats itself over and over again endless times per day.

Views like this are tempting. Gaze at your peril. (Jeff Allen and Ankit Sharuna/)In the high elevation, the 411cc Himalayan would struggle at times, and rider and machine both suffered in some of the highest passes, which reached 14,000 feet. Still, the Royal Enfield is about the quickest machine on these backroads. Then came the rain, and along with it the mud. All that everyday dust makes a deep, delicious mud that loves to reach out, grab the front wheel, and wrench it to the ground. Worse, it loves deflecting the wheel off cliffs and overhangs, down into the river below.

The challenges of each day were rewarded with a plate of momos, steamed dumplings filled with buffalo meat, and a cold refreshing Gorkha beer, named for the fiercely proud Nepali soldiers.

They must have known I was coming. Ice-cold Gorkha beer on arrival in Marpha. (Jeff Allen and Ankit Sharuna/)
Typical breakfast of flatbread and soup. (Jeff Allen and Ankit Sharuna/)
The Daily Special—for lunch you’ll happily have whatever it is they’re serving. (Jeff Allen and Ankit Sharuna/)The return route from the walled city Lo Manthang was a quiet mirror of the ride up. I was finally feeling somewhat at ease, relaxed in the saddle of my motorcycle and comfortable with the terrain. This made it too tempting not to take in the incredible scenery as I rode. Maybe a bit too tempting; with my eyes gazing up at the brilliance of my surroundings instead of down the road, I drove the front wheel straight into a deep hole. The wheel popped violently out of the pit with such fury that my hand flew off the grip. Things got exciting; unable to control or even recapture the handlebar, I careened off the road into a steep downhill ravine. No sooner had I serenely accepted my fate when I realized I had also miraculously managed not to crash, so I grumpily and painfully found my way back to the road.

Splashing through streams, the Royal Enfield is right at home. (Jeff Allen and Ankit Sharuna/)As I retraced the route back to Pokhara, I studied the uniqueness of Upper Mustang with a few days’ more perspective (and with a little more caution). I saw, as traveling motorcyclists often do, contrasts much like the one I presented by riding a modern bike on ancient roads. Young mothers, their babies swathed in the latest child-care backpacks, carted baskets from one side of the village courtyard to the other. Women washed laundry in creeks while engaged in conversation on a smartphone. And our final night in Lo Manthang would coincide with the dedication of the city’s new solar-powered outdoor lighting, the first night ever that its age-old streets and alleys would be lit by electric light.

It’s a place where tradition doesn’t so much collide with progress as blend with it, embracing it in happy coexistence. For that reason as much as any other, it’s truly the spiritual birthplace of the Royal Enfield Himalayan.

Something beautiful in the sky. (Jeff Allen and Ankit Sharuna/)2022 Royal Enfield Himalayan Specs

MSRP:$5,299Engine:SOHC, air-cooled singleDisplacement:411ccBore x Stroke:78.0 x 86.0mmCompression Ratio:9.5:1Transmission/Final Drive:5-speed/chainCW Measured Horsepower:21.8 hp @ 6,300 rpmCW Measured Torque:20.95 lb.-ft. @ 4,400 rpmFuel System:Electronic fuel injection w/ 33mm throttle bodyClutch:Wet, multiplateFrame:Half-duplex, split-cradle steel frameFront Suspension:41mm telescopic fork, nonadjustable; 7.9 in. travelRear Suspension:Monoshock w/ linkage, preload adjustable; 7.1 in. travelFront Brake:2-piston floating caliper, 300mm disc w/ ABSRear Brake:1-piston floating caliper, 240mm disc w/ disengageable ABSTires, Front/Rear:90/90-21 / 120/90-17Rake/Trail:36.0°/4.4 in.Wheelbase:57.7 in.Ground Clearance:8.6 in.Seat Height:31.5 in.Fuel Capacity:4.0 gal.Claimed Wet Weight:439 lb.Availability:NowContact:royalenfield.com