ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 19th, 2011, 07:53 AM   #1
james.gravley
ninjette.org member

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja

Brake system help!

Hey guys I have a 2010 Ninja 250. I just replaced the brake lines with Galfer SS lines. Here is my current issues (mind you, I am a newb, but I am learning). I am attempting to bleed the brakes. When I pump the front brakes, there is no engagement of the caliper. I have opened to bleeder valve and allowed the fluid to flow through, so I know there is fluid in there. I have tightened the bolts and filled the reservoir. so.....?????

Upon trying to bleed the rear brakes, I have engagement and I have successfully bled some air from the lines. However, the brake still is not fully engaging. I have pumped and pumped but nothing. so.....?????

Please help!! I replaced the pads as well. I am not sure whats going on, and the tutorials and DIYs (I have read and watched many) make it seem a lot easier than it is proving to be. Thanks!!
james.gravley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2011, 08:03 AM   #2
DerTeufel
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2009 KTM 690 SMC, 2001 Suzuki GSX-R 750 (track bike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by james.gravley View Post
Hey guys I have a 2010 Ninja 250. I just replaced the brake lines with Galfer SS lines. Here is my current issues (mind you, I am a newb, but I am learning). I am attempting to bleed the brakes. When I pump the front brakes, there is no engagement of the caliper. I have opened to bleeder valve and allowed the fluid to flow through, so I know there is fluid in there. I have tightened the bolts and filled the reservoir. so.....?????

Upon trying to bleed the rear brakes, I have engagement and I have successfully bled some air from the lines. However, the brake still is not fully engaging. I have pumped and pumped but nothing. so.....?????

Please help!! I replaced the pads as well. I am not sure whats going on, and the tutorials and DIYs (I have read and watched many) make it seem a lot easier than it is proving to be. Thanks!!
You most likely still have air in the system. The easiest way is to use a vacuum bleeder, but I hand bleed my brakes. Don't pump the brake lever like crazy, do it slowly until you feel pressure, crack the bleeder then close it quickly. Repeat until the only thing coming out of the bleeder is fluid.

Edit: I should also add that you need to bleed at the master cylinder first. Build pressure, crack the banjo fitting at the master cylinder, then do the banjo fitting at the caliper, then the caliper bleeder.
DerTeufel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2011, 08:23 AM   #3
james.gravley
ninjette.org member

thanks!! I will try it starting at the top. The cylinders did finally enagaged, but aren't at full pressure yet. I will keep everyone posted (as if its as big a deal to you guys as it is me...)

I have been unable to ride for 3 days!! This is longest I have gone since april...

Old August 19th, 2011, 08:38 AM   #4
james.gravley
ninjette.org member

update: I have bled like half a bottle of fluid through and still no pressurized engagement of brakes. I properly bled the banjos starting at the top. I am using a little hand vacuum pump.

Here is the process I use....

1. stick hose to bleed valve, pump up the vacuum
2. fully engage hand lever (which easily pulls all the way to the bar) and open bleeder valve, allowing fluid and lots of tiny air bubbles into the hose
3. BEFORE releasing brake lever, tighten bleeder valve, then release
4. Repeat

am i doing something wrong?!?! I keep re-reading the DIY on this site to make sure I'm not missing something

Old August 19th, 2011, 09:08 AM   #5
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

I open the bleeder valve before engaging brake.

-open
-pull in brake
-close
-release brake

Not sure if it makes a difference, but works for me.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2011, 09:45 AM   #6
james.gravley
ninjette.org member

I keep bleeding and bleeding, but I'm gonna need like a gallon of brake fluid and the front is still not engaging at all. The back engaes some, but only just barely enough to stop the tire. Thx for help!! I tried that too.

Old August 19th, 2011, 09:49 AM   #7
Cuongism

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Before you even start bleeding, did you pump the brakes multiple times until you start feeling pressure?
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2011, 09:51 AM   #8
james.gravley
ninjette.org member

Yep! I pumped slowly several times but I never felt any pressure. I have checked all of my connections, banjos, and pads.

Old August 19th, 2011, 10:17 AM   #9
dubojr1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Give a few minutes. I'll post a diagram of how to keep bleeding but without needing a gallon of fluid.

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2011, 10:23 AM   #10
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by james.gravley View Post
update: I have bled like half a bottle of fluid through and still no pressurized engagement of brakes. I properly bled the banjos starting at the top. I am using a little hand vacuum pump.

Here is the process I use....

1. stick hose to bleed valve, pump up the vacuum
2. fully engage hand lever (which easily pulls all the way to the bar) and open bleeder valve, allowing fluid and lots of tiny air bubbles into the hose
3. BEFORE releasing brake lever, tighten bleeder valve, then release
4. Repeat

am i doing something wrong?!?! I keep re-reading the DIY on this site to make sure I'm not missing something
Dont touch the lever using the vacuum pump.
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2011, 10:39 AM   #11
dubojr1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
Dont touch the lever using the vacuum pump.
I agree. If your using a vacuum pump then you shouldn't need to touch the brake lever.

Here's a method I have used in the past. As long as you take your time and allow the air bubbles to float before allowing them back in the system, you should be fine. This allows you to continue to bleed the system without the need for additional fluid.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brake Blead.jpg (21.1 KB, 14 views)

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2011, 08:57 PM   #12
james.gravley
ninjette.org member

Thanks so much for all of your help!! What I am about to type pains me to have to type.....but here goes....

3 mistakes of the day....
1. Did not wear gloves
2. Did not pay close enough attention while disassembling the braking system
3. Got pissed at the braking system for my idiocy

3 lessons learned today....
1. wear gloves, brake fluid is not a skin conditioner
2. Pay attention to which caliper goes where, you idiot
3. You are the idiot, not the caliper

I realized that I had the rear caliper on the front. This might not have been that big of a deal, but the bleeder valve was positioned on the bottom of the caliper rather than the top, which kept allowing air back into the lines.

Thanks again for all the help, the brakes are fantastic now....SS lines all the way.....

ps dubojr1 thats a really good idea... thanks

Old August 20th, 2011, 07:35 PM   #13
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Pretty funny taking everything apart at once, both front and rear. Seems like you would do either end first to completion. IDK....

Good to hear you got it sorted out
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote