ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old September 5th, 2010, 02:28 PM   #1
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Corbin Seat

A couple months ago, I was negotiating a turn in good form when my seat suddenly tilted (this is the Kawa seat) Turns out that one of the Nylon or Plastic, or whatever ears broke off causing the problem. I temporarily fixed the problem with a bungee cord. Before I could call the dealer, I saw that Ryosen11 had a Corbin seat for sale. I jumped at that deal. Since the Corbin was installed the Ninjette took on a whole different personality. The rider is much more part of the bike, which makes it handle better. You would not think that a seat can make such a difference---but it does. I just finished an 11 Hour ride with just gas stops and Rest Room breaks. When I got off the bike, there was no soreness, fatigue, or anything else. Keep in mind that the majority of this forum's participants are a lot younger than I am. I could have ridden another 12 hours. Am seriously considering doing the Iron Butt Rally. Ryosen11, Thanks a million, and Kelly, as always you were spot on.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2010, 03:03 PM   #2
kkim

Alex... good to see my recommendation has your "butt of approval".

Ergonomics, as you well know from setting up bicycles, make a huge difference, whether it be bicycles, motorcycles or cars. It's all about making the line blur between bike and rider and improving/making the bike respond to what you are thinking instead of putting up with a distraction... it has to flow.

for me, the seat was definitely a distraction.

Enjoy in good health!
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2010, 09:07 AM   #3
Sailariel

Kelly, When I was making that left turn and the right anchor for the seat let go, it caused quite a problem. The only thing that held the seat during that turn was centrifugal force. I do feel a lot safer and comfortable now.

Old September 6th, 2010, 12:53 PM   #4
Ryosen11
ninjette.org member

Name: sho

Motorcycle(s): CBR600RR Ninja 250R(sold)

Alex,
You're welcome!
I'm so glad to hear you like the seat and appreciate it as much as I did.
Ryosen11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2010, 06:15 PM   #5
Sailariel

Sho, It's the best mod so far. Rode 510mi the other day and felt better than if I had driven the car. I can't believe the miles I am putting on that little bike.

Old September 6th, 2010, 06:42 PM   #6
BIGT94z
ninjette.org member

Name: b

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 250r

Nice review after the seat install! I really need to get one for my ninja. After 1.5 hrs my butt needs a break ugh
Posted via Mobile Device
BIGT94z is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2010, 07:27 PM   #7
Sailariel

I think that you will find it to be a good investment.

Old September 6th, 2010, 09:37 PM   #8
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

I found that to be much the same when I installed my Corbin. Can ride for hours/miles and not be bothered. Great mod along with changing out my tires. First 2 things I do on any bike and it pays off.
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2010, 01:05 PM   #9
Sailariel

It's like Kelly said, people on bicycles change seats all the time. I only know one person who has kept the stock seat on his bicycle. I found a seat that works and bought six--for all six bicycles. The Corbin turned out to be the same thing. Braking, one does not make the forward slide. Cornering is much easier since the stance is changed giving better leverage. Finally, this seat will stay put. Once bolted in, it is a solid installation. When you put a Corbin next to the Kawi seat, it becomes a no brainer.

Old September 7th, 2010, 01:38 PM   #10
kkim

Alex,

Does your bike see very cold temps? I read in another post by a forum member whose seat base cracked due to cold weather. Could that have been the cause of the original seat failing?

Old September 7th, 2010, 06:35 PM   #11
Sailariel

Kelly, Now that I think of it, I have ridden in temps well below freezing. I was out a few times in 20F. Got caught in a snowstorm and the temp was just above freezing. I don't think that I will be doing that this winter. I got the bike detailed to look showroom and plan to keep it that way. I do plan to attend my 50th HS Reunion riding my Ninja. In my Senior year I had a 250 NSU Special Max. At least i will be consistant with two wheels. Hopefully it won't be too cold on Oct. 1. It's a 510mi run one way.

Old September 7th, 2010, 07:05 PM   #12
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
It's a 510mi run one way.
you crazy kid!

Old March 19th, 2011, 08:03 PM   #13
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

Did a 3 hour ride with my new Corbin seat today and love it!! Should have done this mod first, felt softer and supportive.
slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2011, 08:21 AM   #14
KGar
Mid Life Crisis

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (Passion Red); 1999 BMW K1200RS (Marrakesh Red)

As a commuter a Corbin seat would be one of the best mods I could do. Anyone know of the best price? I think their website has them for $259.
KGar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2011, 09:34 AM   #15
slolane
Motorcyclist

I couldn't find it any cheaper except for used but... They build them to your specs so ordering direct is a good idea anyway... Give them your height, weight, inseam, and any other specifics... Make narrow in front, have it push me forward, reduce the pitch/rake, etc.

Last futzed with by slolane; March 20th, 2011 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Add info

Old April 28th, 2011, 08:57 PM   #16
c717905
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Black Ninja 250, 2009 Black ZX-6r

I just received my new Corbin seat today and I must say, it is AMAZING!!! I had no idea how much discomfort I was feeling riding on the stock seat until I no longer felt it. I literally had no idea how drastically uncomfortable the stock seat was until I felt true comfort. It is simply amazing. The cost is extremely high, but even before it has broken in, I feel confident saying that it was worth the price.

Damn.

Old April 29th, 2011, 07:22 AM   #17
slolane
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by c717905 View Post
I just received my new Corbin seat today and I must say, it is AMAZING!!! I had no idea how much discomfort I was feeling riding on the stock seat until I no longer felt it. I literally had no idea how drastically uncomfortable the stock seat was until I felt true comfort. It is simply amazing. The cost is extremely high, but even before it has broken in, I feel confident saying that it was worth the price.

Damn.
x2 of that!

Glad you like it, I'm loving mine.

Old April 29th, 2011, 07:24 AM   #18
RedCromwell
ninjette.org member

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250

I never thought of changing my stock seat. But, now you guys seriously have me considering it.
RedCromwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2011, 08:03 AM   #19
slolane
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCromwell View Post
I never thought of changing my stock seat. But, now you guys seriously have me considering it.
Well I would say to think about a few things...
How comfy is your current seat? If you love it, maybe don't change it.

What don't you like about your current seat (if anything)? If it's one little thing like the angle of pitch towards the tank or something simple you could modify your stock seat for little cost.

How far/often do you ride? If you commute 4 miles a day or only go on 20 minute rides or you ride for 3-8 hour rides and find the stock seat not comfortable.

I have had several Corbins over the years and I love em, I have heard from a couple of people that didn't like them, mostly at first because they say they are more firm (supportive) and require time to break in.

Just some ideas, again I love mine but it was $$ (ordered direct from CORBIN).

Old April 29th, 2011, 08:05 AM   #20
Sushilover
Forever Newbie

Name: Andre

Motorcycle(s): 10' Ninja 250

The price of $260 is what is holding me back from purchasing it. The stock seat isn't super comfortable but so far it's been tolerable, but you guys have me really thinking about getting one too.. haha.

This Ninja is going to send me to the poorhouse soon.
Sushilover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2011, 08:11 AM   #21
rceezy
Lean Me

Name: RC

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushilover View Post
The price of $260 is what is holding me back from purchasing it. The stock seat isn't super comfortable but so far it's been tolerable, but you guys have me really thinking about getting one too.. haha.

This Ninja is going to send me to the poorhouse soon.
LOL!! I hear ya.
rceezy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2011, 10:26 AM   #22
RedCromwell
ninjette.org member

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by slolane View Post
What don't you like about your current seat (if anything)? If it's one little thing like the angle of pitch towards the tank or something simple you could modify your stock seat for little cost.

How far/often do you ride? If you commute 4 miles a day or only go on 20 minute rides or you ride for 3-8 hour rides and find the stock seat not comfortable.
It's my first bike ever. So, other than the one I did the MSF course on, I don't really know what I like. I mean the stock seat seems fine to me. I wouldn't know what to change or improve.

Weather permitting I use my bike to commute to and from work. Takes me about half an hour one way. And I usually try to get in 1 to 3 hours of non-stop riding on weekends...wife permitting.

Hmm... now I'm back on the other side of the fence, thinking I don't need to change my seat. I'll see if some other riders I know have a Corbin seat and if they'd mind me sitting on their bike to get a feel.
RedCromwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2011, 10:31 AM   #23
c717905
ninjette.org member

Yeah, the final cost for me was $294 with shipping, so it is even worse than the $260 listed on the website.

The funny thing is that I am that guy that usually only takes the bike on short commutes or for putting around town. I only have a 20 minute ride to work everyday, so there really isn't enough time for the discomfort to settle in (or so I thought until I had a true comparison, I could feel the difference immediately). I initally thought about replacing the seat when I went on a real "ride" with my girlfriend and her dad for 30-40 minutes, after which I couldn't feel my butt anymore and other parts hurt as well. Just that little bit of added time in the saddle made me extremely sore.

I debated whether or not to buy it for awhile (mainly because of the price) and then finally ordered the seat. I will also say that I had it special ordered with carbon fiber leather throughout rather then the asphalt sides they keep in stock, so Corbin quoted 3-4 weeks for manufacturing. I ordered it on April 19th and had the seat on my bike on April 28th. Nine days from order to delivery including shipping time isn't too shabby for something I know they had to custom make.

Old April 29th, 2011, 12:09 PM   #24
kkim

For those that don't buy a Corbin due to cost, consider this. Say you pay $300 for the seat brand new. if/when you sell the bike, sell the seat used for 150-200. Most I see used go for that amount. In the end (no pun intended), the total cost to you for the seat will be 100-150. Is that more reasonable a figure to justify having a comfortable seat? ... something that will give you a very tangible return for your investment... something that, to me, is a very real and worthy addition to the bike. Add to this the fact that its shape aids in being able to maneuver yourself easier/better in transitions during cornering and you begin to see the real value of what this mod provides, in addition to it's awesome comfort.

If you argue that you'll never sell your bike and that its too expensive and in that case you'll never get your money back, I counter that if you do keep your bike for many years, you'll look back at purchasing a Corbin as one of the best decisions you ever made with regards to mods done to the bike and was absolutely worth every penny spent.... at least , I do.

Old April 29th, 2011, 12:16 PM   #25
c717905
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
For those that don't buy a Corbin due to cost, consider this. Say you pay $300 for the seat brand new. if/when you sell the bike, sell the seat used for 150-200. Most I see used go for that amount. In the end (no pun intended), the total cost to you for the seat will be 100-150. Is that more reasonable a figure to justify having a comfortable seat? ... something that will give you a very tangible return for your investment... something that, to me, is a very real and worthy addition to the bike. Add to this the fact that its shape aids in being able to maneuver yourself easier/better in transitions during cornering and you begin to see the real value of what this mod provides, in addition to it's awesome comfort.

If you argue that you'll never sell your bike and that its too expensive and in that case you'll never get your money back, I counter that if you do keep your bike for many years, you'll look back at purchasing a Corbin as one of the best decisions you ever made with regards to mods done to the bike and was absolutely worth every penny spent.... at least , I do.
Very very well said. I agree on all counts and the points you are making are excellent. I know that as I have stated many times, the difference is night and day. If you can afford it (and really how can you not justify the cost after kkim's agruments), I highly recommend getting one.

Nicely done sir, I'm impressed.

Old April 29th, 2011, 12:17 PM   #26
slolane
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCromwell View Post
It's my first bike ever. So, other than the one I did the MSF course on, I don't really know what I like. I mean the stock seat seems fine to me. I wouldn't know what to change or improve.

Weather permitting I use my bike to commute to and from work. Takes me about half an hour one way. And I usually try to get in 1 to 3 hours of non-stop riding on weekends...wife permitting.

Hmm... now I'm back on the other side of the fence, thinking I don't need to change my seat. I'll see if some other riders I know have a Corbin seat and if they'd mind me sitting on their bike to get a feel.
I would say that if it's not uncomfortable then hold off for now. Your only in DE, if you can make the DC/MD/VA ride on 5/15 that is being held in Bowie, MD then you can check mine out and sit on it. As c717905 stated, you really can tell right away. If you can't make that I usually hit the shore a few times over the spring/summer and could meet you somewhere when we ride through if OC if that is better, I'm just not sure when exactly that may be this year.

If you have the loot and spending $300 isn't going to bother you I would say go for it, you will like it. If it's a stretch then hold off until your ready or know exactly if you really need/want it.

HERE is my post about my Corbin.

Quote:
Yeah, the final cost for me was $294 with shipping, so it is even worse than the $260 listed on the website.

The funny thing is that I am that guy that usually only takes the bike on short commutes or for putting around town. I only have a 20 minute ride to work everyday, so there really isn't enough time for the discomfort to settle in (or so I thought until I had a true comparison, I could feel the difference immediately). I initally thought about replacing the seat when I went on a real "ride" with my girlfriend and her dad for 30-40 minutes, after which I couldn't feel my butt anymore and other parts hurt as well. Just that little bit of added time in the saddle made me extremely sore.

I debated whether or not to buy it for awhile (mainly because of the price) and then finally ordered the seat. I will also say that I had it special ordered with carbon fiber leather throughout rather then the asphalt sides they keep in stock, so Corbin quoted 3-4 weeks for manufacturing. I ordered it on April 19th and had the seat on my bike on April 28th. Nine days from order to delivery including shipping time isn't too shabby for something I know they had to custom make.
Good point, final cost was right around $300 for me too, they charge like $30 for shipping but whatever. I got mine quick too, must depend on their backlog at the time of order.

Old April 29th, 2011, 12:19 PM   #27
slolane
Motorcyclist

Right on kkim

Old April 29th, 2011, 12:28 PM   #28
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Probably shop around for a nice price
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2011, 01:19 PM   #29
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

Ahemmmmm.... I'll be moving this affordable and available Corbin seat plus windscreen to Ebay (buy now option) this coming week...... last chance for serious buyers.... p.m. and i'll pay the shipping cost......

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=70632
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2011, 04:00 PM   #30
c717905
ninjette.org member

Update: After meeting up with another Ninjette owner, I took the bike on a spirited hour through some twisties and other various thoroughfares. Add on to that a 30 minute ride to meet up with the other rider and a 20 minute commute to work after the ride and I can definitely say that the Corbin seat is worth every cent. Not only can I still walk and actually feel my butt, but I feel great. The ride was extremely comfortable and I am looking forward to getting right back on the bike in a few minutes for the ride home. I am so glad I like spending money.

Old May 6th, 2011, 08:35 PM   #31
slolane
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Update: After meeting up with another Ninjette owner, I took the bike on a spirited hour through some twisties and other various thoroughfares. Add on to that a 30 minute ride to meet up with the other rider and a 20 minute commute to work after the ride and I can definitely say that the Corbin seat is worth every cent. Not only can I still walk and actually feel my butt, but I feel great. The ride was extremely comfortable and I am looking forward to getting right back on the bike in a few minutes for the ride home. I am so glad I like spending money.
Good stuff, glad it worked out for ya, I love mine!!

Old June 4th, 2011, 09:37 PM   #32
NathanF
ninjette.org member

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 V-Strom 650 ABS

Just installed my new Corbin seat yesterday and did a 200 mile ride today. More comfortable, more seating positions so you can adjust and move around, just in general worth every damn cent.
NathanF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2011, 07:02 PM   #33
slolane
Motorcyclist

Glad you like it Nathan

Old June 8th, 2011, 11:31 PM   #34
ratlab
ratlab

Name: reese

Motorcycle(s): gsxr1000,R3x2,RC390,FZ07,XR100

i just ordered one ,but they are on back order for a month?
ratlab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2011, 11:34 PM   #35
kkim

that was the quoted wait time when I ordered mine, but as I remember, it was here in a couple of weeks. They make them to order and don't have them sitting on the shelf ready to go out.

Old June 9th, 2011, 08:31 AM   #36
slolane
Motorcyclist

That's what they told me when I ordered mine too, and I got it early. It will be worth the wait.

Old June 9th, 2011, 07:34 PM   #37
ratlab
ratlab

Name: reese

Motorcycle(s): gsxr1000,R3x2,RC390,FZ07,XR100

wow it came today -that was about 4days
ratlab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2011, 08:05 PM   #38
c717905
ninjette.org member

Yeah, I go mine in 10 days and I know for sure it was custom made since I asked for different side panels. They do good work and are fast, for what more could you ask?