ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 3rd, 2013, 04:22 AM   #1
reabo
ninjette.org member

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja EX250 K8F

Weird :/

My ninja 250 08 has been a bit strange the last few days. I'd ride of to work but when i accelerate it run find, then just loses power. Its only at the start of the journey though.

Its not pulling and grinds to 20mph :/ Then if i stop and take off again its fine the rest of the trip.

Is this air filter related? Anyone got an suggestions? Ive changed nothing in the way ive been riding since i bought it. But not its doing this. Hopefully its not a big problem
reabo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2013, 04:45 AM   #2
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Quote:
Originally Posted by reabo View Post
My ninja 250 08 has been a bit strange the last few days. I'd ride of to work but when i accelerate it run find, then just loses power. Its only at the start of the journey though.

Its not pulling and grinds to 20mph :/ Then if i stop and take off again its fine the rest of the trip.

Is this air filter related? Anyone got an suggestions? Ive changed nothing in the way ive been riding since i bought it. But not its doing this. Hopefully its not a big problem
What year is your ninja? This could be the ECU for the fuel injection playing funny due to the cold weather, how long have you noticed this? I find my ninja has low power until the temperature needle moves off the bar and up a little bit, generally ten minutes and it's great.

CALLING ALL BRITISH NINJETTERS! ASSEMBLE! @Whiskey & @akima

You guys noticed this?
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2013, 04:47 AM   #3
reabo
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshorilla View Post
What year is your ninja? This could be the ECU for the fuel injection playing funny due to the cold weather, how long have you noticed this? I find my ninja has low power until the temperature needle moves off the bar and up a little bit, generally ten minutes and it's great.

You guys noticed this?
Its an 08. I was thinking it was the cold, but its literally only started doing this. Never had this problem before. It is also alot warmer today! I though if it works fine then its defo the cold, but its done it again today.

Thought id ask on the forums as your all pretty good with hitting the nail on the head.

Old April 3rd, 2013, 05:30 AM   #4
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

My guess would be faulty lambda sensor

Old April 3rd, 2013, 05:33 AM   #5
reabo
ninjette.org member

Quote:
My guess would be faulty lambda sensor
Is there anyway to test for it? Also is it an expensive fix?

Old April 3rd, 2013, 08:43 AM   #6
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Quote:
Originally Posted by reabo View Post
Is there anyway to test for it? Also is it an expensive fix?
Well, what happens with the fuel injection system is it has a "feedback" system where it has a set fuel to air ratio of which it uses, but it also has an o2 sensor or lambda sensor as we call them in the uk due to our propensity for using the correct words. This sensor will see how much residual air is in the exhaust, if too much air it will add a little fuel, if too little air it will cut fuel, if it stops working or starts failing the ecu will sense something is wrong and go into "safe mode" where it will cut the power or it will just perform like ass when it's cold as they need to heat up to work properly.

The sensor itself will cost more than a tenner, maybe about twenty quid and will require a bit of work to install, I wouldn't know how to test one.

Does it idle badly?

Is it a bit choppy?

It won't hurt to check your air filter and won't take five minutes.

Old April 3rd, 2013, 08:49 AM   #7
reabo
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Well, what happens with the fuel injection system is it has a "feedback" system where it has a set fuel to air ratio of which it uses, but it also has an o2 sensor or lambda sensor as we call them in the uk due to our propensity for using the correct words. This sensor will see how much residual air is in the exhaust, if too much air it will add a little fuel, if too little air it will cut fuel, if it stops working or starts failing the ecu will sense something is wrong and go into "safe mode" where it will cut the power or it will just perform like ass when it's cold as they need to heat up to work properly.

The sensor itself will cost more than a tenner, maybe about twenty quid and will require a bit of work to install, I wouldn't know how to test one.

Does it idle badly?

Is it a bit choppy?

It won't hurt to check your air filter and won't take five minutes.
It idles at 2 when i start it up, its normal though, always done that, then after about 2 mins when its warm its at 1. It never choppy untill these last two days when it just loses power. But then i stop. I rev a bit then start off again and runs as it should.

Hmm. Does anyone else have any sugguestion as to what it may be? I might just bring it to a garage next week if it continues.

Would the air filter produce that kind of problem? I know next to nothing about bike btw lol. Just what ive read.

If it is the o2 sensor. Wouldnt it be doing it all the way through my jounery and not just at the start?

Old April 3rd, 2013, 09:04 AM   #8
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Your bike should be idling at 1.8, yours is way too low, have you ever had it serviced according to the book? The mechanic would have put that right.

Edit: adjust the idle with the little black plastic nubbin on the end of that cable sticking out on the left side of your fairings.

o2 sensors work best when fully warmed up and if it is going faulty it would be more prevelant at the start.

Edit: Also, have you got a slip on exhaust or anything?

Old April 3rd, 2013, 11:39 AM   #9
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Is the FI warning light comming on? If so take it to your nearest Kawi service centre and ask them to read the error code. The bike will then tell them what`s playing up.

Joshorilla`s "safe mode" idea sounds very reasonable to me. My mechanic told me that if the ECU thinks something is really wrong or if it`s gettting problems with one of it`s sensors, it will enter this "safe mode" to protect the bike from damage.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2013, 04:34 PM   #10
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:

You guys noticed this?
I've an 08, think @akima is running an 09 SE
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2013, 12:11 AM   #11
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey View Post
i've an 08, think @akima is running an 09 se
2011 se
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2013, 05:33 AM   #12
reabo
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Your bike should be idling at 1.8, yours is way too low, have you ever had it serviced according to the book? The mechanic would have put that right.

Edit: adjust the idle with the little black plastic nubbin on the end of that cable sticking out on the left side of your fairings.

o2 sensors work best when fully warmed up and if it is going faulty it would be more prevelant at the start.

Edit: Also, have you got a slip on exhaust or anything?
I had it done a year ago. But not since. They didnt say anything about the idling. Could you upload a photo of the nubbin im looking for? I'll have a look when i get home

Nope, no slip the bike is all stock.

Old April 4th, 2013, 05:50 AM   #13
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2013, 07:53 AM   #14
reabo
ninjette.org member

ty, i'll adjust later

Old April 12th, 2013, 03:37 AM   #15
reabo
ninjette.org member

Ok adjusted the idle. That sorted now.

I rang up a a few garages and one suggested the breather on the tank might be blocked, so water is getting in? The engine goes funny until the water is out of the tank.

Can I ask where I can rfind this breather? And does it sound like it could be the problem?

Old April 12th, 2013, 03:42 AM   #16
TheDementedDrummer
Present. Somewhat.

Name: Neel

Motorcycle(s): 2012 KTM Duke 200, 2011 Ninja 250r, 2011 Ducati Monster 796, 2014 Kawasaki ZX10r

I don't think it's the O2 sensor, i ran my bike on a full exhaust, that didn't have the bung for the sensor for a while.
it didn't make as much power, but it still ran fine.
it's probably the air filter or something

Old April 12th, 2013, 03:55 AM   #17
reabo
ninjette.org member

The garage said it should be the o2 senser either. As if it was it would be riding crap for the rest of the jounery.

I'll order a new air filer and see if that changes anything.