ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old March 30th, 2009, 08:41 PM   #1
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r (Fastest Color)

First long ride...tips please!

Ok this is really a two part thread. A little background of me as a rider first. I'm a 20 year old and this little ninjette is my first bike. I've owned the bike for almost a year but due to the fact that I live in florida(where my bike is) and go to school in New Jersey i get to ride very seldom, I have about 1500 miles on my bike so far .

I'm taking classes this summer at school and I really wanna bring my bike up since one of my friends is also getting a 250 and florida roads have gotten boring to ride on(if you live or have ever been there you know what I mean...all straight as an arrow) What I plan on doing is ride from my house...about 30 min north of Ft. Lauderdale...to Sandford Florida...right outside of Orlando. I then plan to catch the auto train and put my bike on it. The train takes me right to the Virginia side of DC. I then will ride from basically DC to New Brunswick New Jersey. Now here is the real catch. One of the rules for me getting a bike was no riding on rt 95 or the turnpike. Can't really fight with the parents about it since they bought the bike and pay the insurance. So i map quested to find out how to go and how long it would take me w/o going on either road. Each leg of the trip will be about 220 miles at about 4.5 hours. Longgg time. My next longest ride would have been a one hour ride.

So the first question is one of skills that I should use while traveling on such long distances and probably still on some main highways. Skills such as how to stay comfortably...how long to go in between rests(what do you guys do?). I've also riden in rain like once or twice but this may occur...so tips? Anything other riding tips would be great!

Next is a question of what should I bring with me and what should I equip my bike with. Right now for a long journey I own...
Garmin Nuvi GPS
Zero Gravity Double Bubble
Front sprocket changed for better Highway riding(1 different from stock...i forgot)
IPOD
AAA

What I think i would buy for this trip:
Some type of saddle bag(suggestions?
Tank Bag(suggestions?)
Cramp Buster
Clock
Some sort of mod to my seat(Sorry Kkim cant shell out for a corbin right now...but you could send me yours...PM me for my address )
Maybe a camel pack
Some of those Wal-Mart stick on mirrors

Any other ideas of what I should bring would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry for the long post...just prepping myself for the long rideeeee. Hopefully this thread will be hopeful to other noobs about to take their first long ride
M-Oorb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2009, 10:10 PM   #2
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Name: Howard

Motorcycle(s): '09 Candy Thunder Blue Ninja 250R

I don't know if it is hot over there right now but something a friend of mine told me was to keep your zipper down when riding and feels really good lol. Just remember to zip it back up! (I personally never tried it yet because it has not gotten soo hot to that point where I need some extra breeze)
00v_Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2009, 10:33 PM   #3
Verus Cidere
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '91 Honda CBR600 F2

On the temperature note, definitely bring something that protects you but can keep you cool. It's really helpful on a long, open highway. On the other extreme of this is that you should bring several extra layers of clothing as well. If you think it might rain, and you're gonna be riding for 4 hours in it, you need to stay warm and dry! Make it a point to do so.

I'd definitely suggest some sort of way to pack things like those extra layers, water, snacks, etc. I don't know much about saddle bags, but a backpack would definitely work for that. You could throw a battery powered clock in there too and check when you take breaks (that is, if you're too cheap to buy a $10 walmart watch of course ).

For comfort, I know that the new gen bikes are supposed to have EXTREMELY uncomfortable seats, especially on longer rides. My suggestion from my slight experience on long distance rides would be, pick a distance (it doesn't need to be an overly short distance, just something bearable). Every time you hit that distance, pull over (NOT on the open highway!) and stretch your legs. That's been the biggest miscomfort for me on longer rides. Stretch your back too, because tucking (which I'm only assuming you're planning to do) can cramp you up like nobody's business. Wrists should be on the agenda as well. Heck, just do a full body stretch!

Also, be sure to decide before you leave where the best places to get gas are, based on what mileage you're getting. Never a good idea to get caught in the middle of nowhere without gas!

Finally, on the skills side, the safety cushion is the most important thing to have on the highway. Give yourself as much space as possible between anything around you, especially big rigs. If you need to pass them, GET PAST THEM FAST! If they pass you, ease up a bit so they can get a bit ahead. Don't think you have to pull some sort of speed record for 250s out there! Keep it at a manageable, safe, and legal speed.

Oh, and have fun out there. Make sure to take a camera to get some pics of the scenery, if there's good scenery to be scene!

(Those members who know more about this stuff, correct whatever mistakes I just said! Thanks! )

Old March 30th, 2009, 10:43 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verus Cidere View Post
For comfort, I know that the new gen bikes are supposed to have EXTREMELY uncomfortable seats, especially on longer rides.
Bah humbug, the seats are fine. It's no touring bike, but there isn't a sportbike on the market with a more comfortable seat than the ninjette's (though there are quite a few with less comfortable seats).

To the OP, sounds like you're thinking this through and have the right attitude. You already have everything you'd need to make a 4 to 5 hour trip on a bike; in the scheme of things that's not a particularly long ride. There are a number of tankbag, saddlebag, and tailpack recommendations on this board, check out the farkles section and there should be some good ideas for you. If you're traveling light, you could probably make do with just a tankbag and a backpack, but riding with a backpack can potentially be a little more tiring depending on how full it is and your preferred riding position.

There's really nothing you need to worry about from the bike's perspective to do this; she's ready and willing; you may just need to work yourself up to it. Once you get back to your bike, take a few 1 hr rides. Then 2 hr rides. Then 3 hr rides. Then you're there, and you'll realize it's not as bad as you may have thought.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2009, 11:00 PM   #5
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

Ya I would say get more practice in for longer rides, esp in the rain if it's not an area you're comfortable in. Otherwise, you can always stop for a coffee when the storm clouds hit. A change from 1 hour rides to full day riding can get pretty tiring so make sure you relieve your arms/legs every now and then by pulling over or just simple stretches while you're riding.

Luggage is totally up to you and how much stuff you want to bring along. How many days are you planning for this trip? Cause that'll have an impact on your decision as well. My list might be a bit exhaustive if your trip is only a day or two but the key things you might want to add are: first aid kit and earplugs/mp3 player. O and a tire patch kit and/or AAA if you don't already have it.

Sounds like fun though! Have fun!

Chain Lube
Chain Cleaner
Batter Tender Jr.
Oil
Oil Filter
Tire Pump
Tire Patch Kit
Extra Visor
Torque Wrench
First Aid Kit
Flashlight
Earplugs
Chain Adjuster and ruler
Snack bars
Toilet Paper
Thermal Blanket
Hand sanitizer/Soap
Knife
Waterproof matches
Lighter
Sleeping bag
Water bottle
Camelbak
Rope/Bungee Cords
Duct tape
Maps
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2009, 06:07 AM   #6
camaroz1985

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

Tim that is quite the list. While it is good to be prepared I don't think he will need any of that. It is a good idea to have the tire patch kit, but most of that will not be needed.

I do 200+ mile rides pretty frequently, and there is no problem at all with the bike. Your butt will probably feel it but seeing as you are taking backroads (or at least not interstate highways) you will probably be moving around a little bit more and won't feel it as much. Take rests when you need them (I usually stop once on a 200 mile trip, but have done it without stopping), and take your time and enjoy the ride.

Do as Alex said and take a couple preliminary rides to get yourself used to that much time on the bike. It also might be a good idea to do this without the distractions of the GPS (if you can, I know some people can't) and the ipod, especially on roads you have never seen before. You might think it will be boring, but you will be suprised how many of life's questions you will be able to answer
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2009, 06:28 AM   #7
Buffalony

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250 "Wasabi", 82 Yamaha xj650j

Your gonna have a blast. Get everything on your "to get" list except maybe nix the camel back, just pull over and get something to drink and stretch at the same time. Besides it's still freakin cold up here. If your not strapped for time, look for a couple places to go to on your way. Landmarks or Famous diners. Either way plan for a 5.5 hr trip though so your prepared.

Old March 31st, 2009, 07:25 AM   #8
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Thanks guys! I really think i have the confidence in myself and I'm sure once its all over I wont think its that big of a deal. Just to answer some of the questions and to clarify a few things. I like the idea of the extra clothes. In late may in florida it rains practically every single day for about 20 min's but it pours. I like the idea of extra clothing...def gunna do that. As for the heat...my jacket has little zip down vents with mesh that I have found very comfortable so far. I'll be making this trip in 2 legs over 2 days. The first day its about a 4.5 hour ride...according to map quest...to the train. THe train ride is then about 17 hours...than the last leg is another 4.5 hours. I plan on giving myself about 6.5 hours for the first leg...dont wanna miss the train. I'd love to make this ride a bit more scenic but this ride is strictly a point A to point B ride since I have to be at school at a certain time . I definitely plan on taking some practice rides once I get home, going a little longer as you said Alex. Probably wont go with a backpack though cause I can see that getting uncomfortable after a while.

Oh yea and I'm def gunna bring my camera(D40x for you camera lovers) and have as much fun as I can. Thanks guys for the tips and the encouragement. Any other help would be greatly appreciated!

Old March 31st, 2009, 07:26 AM   #9
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Forget the train. Just north of Sanford is a ton of beautiful roads to enjoy. Bring your gear (to wear), stop at a Walmart every other day for new underwear (they are good for two days if you reverse them over night, then throw the old ones away), parent's credit card, and a big smile. You need to ride up through the mountains of Georgia, the Blue Ridge Parkway, Skyline Drive and then through Maryland, Pennsylvania, to New Jersey.

Or you can take the coastal route of 17 through Savannah, Charleston, Myrtle Beach, Virginia Beach, then 13 (Chesapeake Bay bridge tunnel), to 9 across Cape May onto the Jersey coast.

Either way would be a trip to remember your entire life. It just depends on if you like BBQ or seafood to determine which way to go. Then again, you could take one route up and the other back.

Old March 31st, 2009, 07:29 AM   #10
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

I really wish I could do that but my ride up is all about getting their by a certain date. I would leave early to do all that but my parents wanna see me for some reason? I dunno haha. But my ride back downnn in august...now that isnt time constricted. Ill make a new thread about 2 weeks before I ride back down to get some opinions about places I should stop...as I have only either taken the train their and back or made the straight boring ride on 95. Good looks though

Old March 31st, 2009, 07:33 AM   #11
SteveL
old git

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): BMW K1300S

I would use a back pack a 60 liter should do and put all clothing into a plastic bin liner this keeps the rain out put the heavy things at the top reduces back ach. You will suffer most of all from hand cramp and numb bum, get off and walk around whenever you feel tired other than that you should be fine.

Steve

Old March 31st, 2009, 07:38 AM   #12
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

I'm really worried about the hand cramping thing. I was thinking of picking up a cramp buster...havent heard anything about it but the theory sounds good and only 10 bucks with free shipping. Anyone have any experience with these?

Old March 31st, 2009, 07:56 AM   #13
Broom
Track Junkie

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r Track Bike, DR350 commuter, KDX220 woods bike

some tips that an IBI (iron butt invitational) guy told me for long rides:

don't refuel and eat/use restroom on the same stop. split them up to break up the ride more and keep you from getting sleepy or stiff.

adjust your butt and do it often. if you wait until your butt starts to hurt before you adjust your seating position then you're too late.

if you have a backpack or something, its best to strap it to the tail of the bike instead of wearing it on your back. it'll keep you from getting tired and allow for better handling of the bike. use a cargo net type bungie cord to hold it down and make sure you give it a good test run around town before you head out to ensure it stays put.

Old March 31st, 2009, 08:32 AM   #14
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

I like the idea of breaking it up... That will make me take more breaks. As for the backpack I was hoping to go up with my rear seat cowl so maybe just a tank bag then. Another question... Right now I have my carbs shimmed with one washer. Would removing those washers help with my fuel economy enough to justify taking them out for this trip?
Posted via Mobile Device

Old March 31st, 2009, 08:41 AM   #15
Broom
Track Junkie

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r Track Bike, DR350 commuter, KDX220 woods bike

nah... you'd make a bigger difference riding conservatively than adjusting your carbs.

Old March 31st, 2009, 08:44 AM   #16
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Alright I thought so... ThAnks broom
Posted via Mobile Device

Old March 31st, 2009, 10:17 AM   #17
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

If you need help in the MD area give me a hollar. I'll PM my info to you. I am sure there are other people along the coast that could help out too!

(always good to know folks along the way )

Old March 31st, 2009, 10:25 AM   #18
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Man, I love the people on this forum. I don't know anyone face to face on here and someone has already offered some help if needed. Thanks tyke...ill pm with some info!
Posted via Mobile Device

Old March 31st, 2009, 01:43 PM   #19
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroz1985 View Post
Tim that is quite the list. While it is good to be prepared I don't think he will need any of that. It is a good idea to have the tire patch kit, but most of that will not be needed.

I do 200+ mile rides pretty frequently, and there is no problem at all with the bike. Your butt will probably feel it but seeing as you are taking backroads (or at least not interstate highways) you will probably be moving around a little bit more and won't feel it as much. Take rests when you need them (I usually stop once on a 200 mile trip, but have done it without stopping), and take your time and enjoy the ride.

Do as Alex said and take a couple preliminary rides to get yourself used to that much time on the bike. It also might be a good idea to do this without the distractions of the GPS (if you can, I know some people can't) and the ipod, especially on roads you have never seen before. You might think it will be boring, but you will be suprised how many of life's questions you will be able to answer
ya I don't know US geography so I assumed it was a multi-day trip... My list is definitely exhaustive but meant for my tour across the continent

Old March 31st, 2009, 01:47 PM   #20
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broom View Post
some tips that an IBI (iron butt invitational) guy told me for long rides:

don't refuel and eat/use restroom on the same stop. split them up to break up the ride more and keep you from getting sleepy or stiff.

adjust your butt and do it often. if you wait until your butt starts to hurt before you adjust your seating position then you're too late.

if you have a backpack or something, its best to strap it to the tail of the bike instead of wearing it on your back. it'll keep you from getting tired and allow for better handling of the bike. use a cargo net type bungie cord to hold it down and make sure you give it a good test run around town before you head out to ensure it stays put.
great advice!

Old March 31st, 2009, 02:33 PM   #21
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Oorb View Post
I then plan to catch the auto train and put my bike on it. The train takes me right to the Virginia side of DC.
Sounds like a lot of fun and as Alex said you've got your head around the things you need to be thinking about.

Thought occurred to me as I was reading this again, how do they secure the bike on the auto train? Car's are no big problem, drive on, put it in park and set the brake. But a motorcycle? Might want to look into that if you haven't already. If they give you some attachment points in the rail car you could carry a couple of ratchet tie-downs. WalMart will have them for just a few bucks and they don't weigh much or take up much space.

Old March 31st, 2009, 02:55 PM   #22
Moo-wasaki
ninjette.org member

Name: Yes

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Padded bicycle shorts...up to you if you want to turn them inside out at all!
Moo-wasaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2009, 02:56 PM   #23
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

good point old guy. I've taken my car on it about 5 times already and i've seen people bring their bikes on...they make you help them whereas the bike they just drive it themselves. I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what they say...if i need to bring anything.

Old March 31st, 2009, 03:33 PM   #24
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Matt,

Since I live near Lorton, VA (end of Auto Train line), I just did a google map from Lorton, VA to New Brunswick, NJ and avoided Interstates, etc. I came up with 6.5 hrs and that was driving thru DC and Baltimore, MD. Depending on the time of day that you're riding, that 6.5 hours could extend even longer.

I'm not trying to throw a damper on your ride, just give you more info for an informed decision. If you want to PM me with your route, I will gladly review the VA-DC portion for you. I'm sure Blue Tyke would do the same for the MD portion.
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2009, 04:31 PM   #25
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

i'd be happy to help!!
Posted via Mobile Device
BlueTyke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2009, 05:31 PM   #26
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Sam,
Thanks for taking a look for me. When I did map quest I beleive I just deleted the rt95 section of the trip. Ill do it again and let you know what roads in the DC area it comes up with and you can give me your opinion on them. I'll do the same for MD so tyke can help . I think when alex created this forum he added something to it to draw the most helpful crowd. Thanks guys

Old March 31st, 2009, 05:47 PM   #27
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Ok this is what I got. Once you leave the station you hop on rt 1 which is fine. Then you take rt 1 to 495...which if im not mistakin is the beltway around DC. I've taken this road before...with my car...and I think again this road is fine. From 495 I start to take roads ive never taken or heard of before so maybe you guys can help me out. After 495 ...I hop on rt 50 towards anapolis. From rt 50 I go on to 301 crossing into delaware. From 301 I go to rt 40 which eventually brings me in to new jersey. So Sam and Tyke...whatcha guys think? Map Quest has an estimate time of 4 hours and 25 min with a distance of 230 miles.

Old March 31st, 2009, 09:00 PM   #28
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

My Mom lived in Potomac, MD so I know some of the roads you are talking about and the beltway is no picnic, especially if you hit it at commute time. It is 6-8 lanes with a lot of exits and people jumping all around.

50 is also multi-lane and a major highway.

Come to think of it last time I was on 50 there were a group of 4 supper bikes coming at us on the other side all doing wheele's at about 80+ mph - one standing on the rear pegs and one on the seat.

Any way I know some locals will get you on the right path.

Old March 31st, 2009, 09:15 PM   #29
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

damn beltway...and the train gets in at like 7am...which puts me right smack in the middle of rush hour . But I guess its either that or driving through DC if im not mistaken right? And i reallllllly dont wanna do that. As for rt 50...ive done multi lane highways before down in florida...6 lane road. But I havent really done it during high volume times. Any locals...any ideas?

Old March 31st, 2009, 09:24 PM   #30
Syphen
Some weird Canuck!

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): '92 CBR250RR "Babyblade", 2008 Ninja 250R, 2001 CBR600F4i

Add advil or some other mild, non-drowsy painkiller with you. It may sound dumb but it can help. There have been a few times on a trip where all of the sudden my knees or back would cramp and just start KILLING me. Advil kept me going and the trip was a great time.
Syphen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2009, 09:30 PM   #31
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

So simple yet I wouldn't of thought of that. Ill bring some night time too just so I can get some sleep on the train and be awake for the next days ride. Good tip...keep it comin guyss

Old April 1st, 2009, 05:22 AM   #32
Moo-wasaki
ninjette.org member

Name: Yes

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Add Monkey Butt to the padded/cushioned bike shorts.

http://www.antimonkeybutt.com/
Moo-wasaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2009, 07:05 AM   #33
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

If the Train gets in at 7am might be a good time to stop and have a nice breakfast somewhere close by to kill some time...

Pointers... Instead of Route 40 I suggest Route 7/Philidelphia road - There are a few more lights and a reduced speed limit (so if time is of the essence stick to route 40) but 7 has a lot more to look at with a reduction of 'asshatdriversthatspeeddown40'. It is a personal preference and 7 will take you all the way up to port deposit. (I just went there a few weekends ago! It was def. nicer going up 7 than 40, which i took on the way back) A lot of this depends on WHEN you are doing this trip too...

As for in and around DC I haven't really been. Gaithersburg is closer so the new MD rider might have some suggestions for in and around there...

Old April 1st, 2009, 07:51 AM   #34
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Lort...:::::f:EN:M:/e

This is the link to mapquest for the route that I came up with. It says im only on rt 40 for a couple of miles? Tell me what you guys think...I dunno if any of these roads are major or would 'be a pain to drive on. Id most likely start my trip at about 8am..I also beleive I would be making this ride on a saturday...this might make it easier or harder dont really know. Thanks for all the help again guys(and gals)!

Edit:Forget that link...it doesnt have the roads I took out. I basically just clicked AVOID on the 95 portions and the 495 portions.

Old April 1st, 2009, 07:58 AM   #35
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

When I clicked on it... There was no reference to Rt 40 but 95 is on there

Old April 1st, 2009, 08:09 AM   #36
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

I know...for some reason the link didnt save what I had clicked avoid on . If you wanna see the route I was talking about just click avoid for all the rt 95 sections and the beltway(495). Im thinking I may be better off taking the belt way though and not riding through DC.

Old April 1st, 2009, 08:15 AM   #37
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Taking those out hops you out of my area all together.

Old April 1st, 2009, 08:40 AM   #38
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Oh man :/ so your not familiar with the roads I'm talking about then? I was hoping I'd be close to some members just for some help and you were being very helpful with the planning haha.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old April 1st, 2009, 09:01 AM   #39
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

I am in the Baltimore area (other side of the water from your route).

Though if you took 295 up to 695 (not sure if that was the beltway that was talked about... There are so many beltways... ) You can loop around to rt 40 take that up to where the Jersey side...

I would for the trip up take which ever is faster for you. On the way back though we can discuss better roads.

(and I see you have a mobile device and figured out how to check Ninjette on it. The plus side to that is you can check in and we can follow your progress too )

Old April 1st, 2009, 11:13 AM   #40
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Hmm that sounds like a pretty straight forward route...ill have to check that out. And yes for the way back I'm def gunna try to take some more interesting/ less highway like roads as I don't really have a time limit on the way back. And yes...this blackberry and ninjette mobile is a savior in boring lecture hall classes haha. Once on my little journey ill post how I felt about my first semi long ride on the train that night. Won't have anything else to do so ill be on ninjette all night haha
Posted via Mobile Device