ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old June 19th, 2013, 09:30 AM   #1
warning
ninjette.org member

Name: warning

Motorcycle(s): A lot

SoCal: Angeles Crest 06/23/2013

I'll be riding ACH Sunday morning. I'll be at the Shell gas station on the Angeles Crest Hwy exit from the 210 by 8AM. Let me know if you want to join or post up if you have any questions.
warning is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2013, 09:25 PM   #2
dave42
ninjette.org guru

Name: dave

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250, ZX6r, RSV4, Caponord Rally

Damn, homie, between now and the first weekend of July I'm gonna be all booked (tied up with work til the end of the month then going to Lee Parks' class in July). Will have to catch up later
dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2013, 10:14 PM   #3
warning
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave42 View Post
Damn, homie, between now and the first weekend of July I'm gonna be all booked (tied up with work til the end of the month then going to Lee Parks' class in July). Will have to catch up later
That's cool. Just post up when you have the time.

Old June 19th, 2013, 10:41 PM   #4
Driddle
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

How hard of a ride is the crest? (Keeping in mind I'm a new rider)
Driddle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2013, 03:28 AM   #5
AlfredoGonzalez
Freyho

Name: Alfredo

Motorcycle(s): CBR600 f4i, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driddle View Post
It's a really easy ride, one of the more forgiving canyon's i've seen. Just be careful with your turns and you should be fine.
AlfredoGonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2013, 08:25 AM   #6
warning
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driddle View Post
Not hard. Just take it easy and have fun.

Old June 21st, 2013, 03:17 AM   #7
AlfredoGonzalez
Freyho

Quote:
Originally Posted by warning View Post
Not hard. Just take it easy and have fun.
Be careful on your way back. There's a spot just after the "turn headlights on next 7 miles" sign that's apparently well known for crashing at.

2 riders went down there out of my group just yesterday.

Old June 21st, 2013, 08:28 AM   #8
warning
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredoGonzalez View Post
Be careful on your way back. There's a spot just after the "turn headlights on next 7 miles" sign that's apparently well known for crashing at.

2 riders went down there out of my group just yesterday.
Damn, are they okay?

Old June 22nd, 2013, 10:57 AM   #9
AlfredoGonzalez
Freyho

Quote:
Damn, are they okay?
Woops, it was 3 riders that went down.

well, 4 if you count me, I went down too but mine was really minor.

2 of the 3 are fine, minor scrapes... the third one, he's messed up. His bike is totaled probably and he's in pasadena still at the hospital being treated for....

3 broken ribs,
1 collapsed lung,
1 shattered wrist.

Gonna make a full recovery but still it's some pretty bad injuries.

Old June 22nd, 2013, 10:58 AM   #10
AlfredoGonzalez
Freyho

Quote:
Damn, are they okay?
Taken from my friends helmet cam. I was way in front, and went down around the turn.

guy in the black is the one with the bad injuries.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old June 22nd, 2013, 01:42 PM   #11
warning
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Taken from my friends helmet cam. I was way in front, and went down around the turn.

guy in the black is the one with the bad injuries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voq6pkcVJJw
Damn, that looks bad. Best wishes to your buddy. I hope he heals quick and the others with minor injuries.

From the video, I'm not sure what happened. It looks like they made it through the turn and something happened while straightening? From looking at the dirt trail, maybe went wide? And the other couldn't avoid so he broke and laid it down too?

Old June 22nd, 2013, 02:01 PM   #12
RandomPhantom
The Motorcycle Newb!

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (Red/SOLD), 2008 Ninja 250R (Black/SOLD), 2005 ZX6R (Black)

Quote:
Damn, that looks bad. Best wishes to your buddy. I hope he heals quick and the others with minor injuries.

From the video, I'm not sure what happened. It looks like they made it through the turn and something happened while straightening? From looking at the dirt trail, maybe went wide? And the other couldn't avoid so he broke and laid it down too?
I am the rider of the red ninja behind the black/grey R6. From my POV and from observing the video numerous times the R6 exited the turn a bit wide from the videos POV. From my POV i just saw him straighten up his bike and at that point i realized he is going straight into the wall with no turn space wat so ever. I couldnt avoid it no matter how u look at it. From a play and pause POV for the video i was just way to close behind him to even have any reaction time the second he impacted the wall. I couldnt turn left anymore as i was already pretty leaned. If i straightened up i risk hitting him and running into the wall. I ended low siding instead. For my story of why i crashed I was just too close behind him and didint give myself any space. Any feedback on this entire incident is much appreciated.
RandomPhantom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2013, 05:08 PM   #13
AlfredoGonzalez
Freyho

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomPhantom View Post
I am the rider of the red ninja behind the black/grey R6. From my POV and from observing the video numerous times the R6 exited the turn a bit wide from the videos POV. From my POV i just saw him straighten up his bike and at that point i realized he is going straight into the wall with no turn space wat so ever. I couldnt avoid it no matter how u look at it. From a play and pause POV for the video i was just way to close behind him to even have any reaction time the second he impacted the wall. I couldnt turn left anymore as i was already pretty leaned. If i straightened up i risk hitting him and running into the wall. I ended low siding instead. For my story of why i crashed I was just too close behind him and didint give myself any space. Any feedback on this entire incident is much appreciated.
What Kevin told me when I asked was that his tire just started slipping out, he tried to right the bike but was already headed into the wall.

My guess is similar warnings idea, he took the turn just a tad too wide and maybe hit the paint or a small dirt patch and that made his tire start to slip.

As for Anthony, you can hear him crash, the "crunch" just before the camera riders head is turned is him hitting the rock wall. He locked his rear tire and skid into the dirt, then slid right into the wall. Unfortunately he panic braked instead of swerving.

Old June 22nd, 2013, 06:10 PM   #14
RandomPhantom
The Motorcycle Newb!

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (Red/SOLD), 2008 Ninja 250R (Black/SOLD), 2005 ZX6R (Black)

Quote:
What Kevin told me when I asked was that his tire just started slipping out, he tried to right the bike but was already headed into the wall.

My guess is similar warnings idea, he took the turn just a tad too wide and maybe hit the paint or a small dirt patch and that made his tire start to slip.

As for Anthony, you can hear him crash, the "crunch" just before the camera riders head is turned is him hitting the rock wall. He locked his rear tire and skid into the dirt, then slid right into the wall. Unfortunately he panic braked instead of swerving.
I figured as much on anthony's side. And as for kevin really unfortunate. And thank you for visiting him Alfredo. I hope he still didnt sound too bummed out about his bike i told him not to worry about useless stuff like that. Hope he is looking better and doing better as i couldnt see him today.

Old June 22nd, 2013, 06:23 PM   #15
AlfredoGonzalez
Freyho

Quote:
I figured as much on anthony's side. And as for kevin really unfortunate. And thank you for visiting him Alfredo. I hope he still didnt sound too bummed out about his bike i told him not to worry about useless stuff like that. Hope he is looking better and doing better as i couldnt see him today.
I haven't gone by yet. I tried napping so I could have the energy to visit but people kept waking me up every hour so my sleep has been really spotty.

I'm gearing up to head over soon.

Old June 22nd, 2013, 07:07 PM   #16
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

You guys spilled oil all over road there is a FB post warning about the oil.. Make no mistake ACH is no joke. As soon as you think you think you know it it will bite you in the ass. The worst turn is squids leap and the carousel. If you are new to canyons this should not be yiur first.

I hope your friend is ok
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2013, 07:11 PM   #17
RandomPhantom
The Motorcycle Newb!

Quote:
I haven't gone by yet. I tried napping so I could have the energy to visit but people kept waking me up every hour so my sleep has been really spotty.

I'm gearing up to head over soon.
give him my best wishes and tell him sorry i cant visit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok View Post
You guys spilled oil all over road there is a FB post warning about the oil.. Make no mistake ACH is no joke. As soon as you think you think you know it it will bite you in the ass. The worst turn is squids leap and the carousel. If you are new to canyons this should not be yiur first.

I hope your friend is ok
thank you for the concern man and yeah i we sure made a mess out there. Hope all other riders out there are safe as well

Old June 23rd, 2013, 07:04 AM   #18
AlfredoGonzalez
Freyho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok View Post

I hope your friend is ok
That was gas, not oil. The tank was punctured and leaked a bit.

He's doing a lot better now. The updated list of injuries is...

Left arm, broken radius and ulna bones...
Right arm, broken wrist
Back, right side lower 3 ribs broken (that caused a)
Collapsed right lung
Scrapes on his right leg.

Expected to make a full recovery. Honestly, I think he's more hurt over his bike being so damaged.

Old June 23rd, 2013, 07:13 AM   #19
AlfredoGonzalez
Freyho

Second cam, from the guy in the very front... I think it's @alanmv567

I am just behind him. I made a little booboo when trying to u-turn. Didn't wait for the road w/ full asphalt, tried to turn where there was dirt and lost control. You can see me picking my bike back up as he returns to the scene of the crash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=NrzY2ycO5nk

Old June 23rd, 2013, 11:35 AM   #20
TheTraveler
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 SE (Red/Black)

Just read this threat, or I would have joined you earlier this morning. I think after 5 months of riding, and a few canyon runs, I'm ready for ACH.

I hope the rider in the crash is OK. Good to hear he will make full recovery. The wrecked R6 should be the least of his concerns.
TheTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2013, 11:38 AM   #21
TheTraveler
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 SE (Red/Black)

Also, his helmet fell off????? Did he have the straps secured?
TheTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2013, 11:54 AM   #22
warning
ninjette.org member

Well I just got back from the ride. I got to the Shell at 8AM and waited till 9:30 but no one showed up. Maybe the video scared the **** out of some people. LOL

I went up ACH, made a left on Angeles Forest Hwy, then right on Upper Big Tujunga, then made a right to go back to ACH then another right on Angeles Forest Hwy, right on upper big T, then made a left on ACH to Newcomps. I took a quick piss and went back down ACH then to the freeway home.

It was a good ride, I saw a few cops but they were on the lower part of ACH. The word at Shell station was that there was oil spill up ACH, thus my going around and taking AFH to Upper Big T.

Old June 23rd, 2013, 11:57 AM   #23
warning
ninjette.org member

Quote:
How long have you been riding with the dude on the R6?

Old June 23rd, 2013, 08:22 PM   #24
RandomPhantom
The Motorcycle Newb!

in terms of total experience its about 2-3 months.

Old June 23rd, 2013, 08:34 PM   #25
AlfredoGonzalez
Freyho

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTraveler View Post
Also, his helmet fell off????? Did he have the straps secured?
He told me that his helmet popped off after it took the bulk of the hit.

He had the straps put through the double D rings properl, but must have left too much slack so it could go over his chin.

Old June 23rd, 2013, 09:12 PM   #26
warning
ninjette.org member

Quote:
in terms of total experience its about 2-3 months.
As stoner said to Rossi after a hard battle at Jerez, "Obviously, your ambitions outweighed your talent."

He went wide several times? Obvious case of trying to keep up when he should be at the back of the pack, riding his own pace.

How is he doing?

Old June 23rd, 2013, 09:24 PM   #27
AlfredoGonzalez
Freyho

Recovering and his spirits are high.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1045000_626079437402586_788113686_n.jpg (44.5 KB, 16 views)

Old August 12th, 2013, 05:55 AM   #28
alanmv567
ninjette.org member

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (Sold to jerrytheclown!) 2006 Yamaha FZ6

Seriously, what is up with all the people who commented on the video? Granted we should have checked on him first, but when you are in shock and never been in this situation before, who knows what the **** to do? I think one of the choices to do was to get the bike out of others harm way, didn't want to cause to more ****ing accidents with cars coming from both direction.....Plus there was enough people to check up on him and what could we do in that situation without the paramedics. I swear the people who commented...its like they been in that situation before and know exactly what to do.
alanmv567 is offline   Reply With Quote