ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 1st, 2011, 09:21 AM   #1
THE BIG SITT
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Engine issue

So on my way to work today the bike started acting up. While accelerating the engine was kinda boggy then when I was up to highway speed it wouldn't accelerated past 80mph (indicated 80mph) or rev past 9000k RPMs. Anyone ever had that issue?
THE BIG SITT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2011, 12:53 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Could be a couple things. One of the more common ones (and easiest to diagnose) is a venting issue with the fuel tank, not letting enough fuel flow at high load / high RPM's. Some related links below:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=75160
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=53230
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=49466
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=49009
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21438

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2011, 03:37 PM   #3
THE BIG SITT
ninjette.org sage

Here's some more information that might help with a preliminary diagnostics.

This morning I rode my bike to the gym and worked out; then I rode the bike home without any issues. Then I got ready for work (took about 20 minutes) and then I went to work. Once on the highway, I noticed the bike was acting as if it was running out of gas (sputtering when accelerating) and then I realized that I was pretty low on gas so I decided to stop and put a quick splash of gas in. I only put about a gallon since I was running late and I only had a couple of bucks on me. Then I got going and the same thing happened. Once I was at cruising speed (80mph indicated) I realized the issue of not being able to accelerated past 9K RPMs in 6th gear.

Once at work, I called a local dealer and they told me it was probably time for my bike to have the plugs changed since I was at 8500 miles and still had the original plugs. They quoted me $150+ parts for this service. Then after work, I rode the bike to a different dealer (after putting about half a tank's worth of fuel in the bike) where they told me it was probably an issue with the carbs, and that I should try Yamaha Ring Free, which is supposed to help clean things out. So I put the stuff in and filled the tank up all the way and rode the bike home. The problems never ceased.

So what do you think is the most likely issue with my bike?

Old September 1st, 2011, 03:44 PM   #4
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Do you know how how to remove the tank? Changing the plugs is fairly easy and will only cost less than $10 for the plugs if you do it yourself. That way you can cross that off the list. Valve check is also supposed to be at 7500 miles but not as easy (and very time consuming).

Haven't heard of Yamaha Ring free, but another simple solution to clean the carbs (not as well as actually physically cleaning it) is Seafoam.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2011, 11:19 AM   #5
THE BIG SITT
ninjette.org sage

So I talked to a guy my dad works with and he gave me a suggestion. He suggested I look for some sort of a screw(?) that is located on the bottom of the carb connected to a vent tube(?) that will allow me to drain some fuel and (hopefully/maybe) a piece of dirt or debris that could be trapped in there. My question is, where is this tube on out bikes? Pictures or other threads would be grand.

Old September 14th, 2011, 02:36 PM   #6
THE BIG SITT
ninjette.org sage

Well today I drained the carbs via the float bowls. I did both carbs one then went for a quick ride, which left the bike feeling pretty good except for a little hiccup in first gear when going WOT. Then I parked it and drained the carbs again, and went for another ride. The engine was the exact same, if not a little worse. This obviously pissed me off. For the record, I did get a very small amount of dirt when I emptied both carbs.

Would these results lead you guys to believe that I need to just remove the carbs and give them a thorough cleaning?