ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

View Poll Results: Is the GTPP warranty worth it?
Yes, I got it. 6 22.22%
No, it is a waste of money. 20 74.07%
Depends on dealer. 1 3.70%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 8th, 2009, 10:48 AM   #1
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Extended Service Warranties

I have noticed that there are many on this forum who bought new 2008-2009 Ninjettes. How many have gotten the extended warranty? Are they worth the money? It seems to me that after riding the bike, any defects would have surfaced. I`m interested in your thoughts--for or against.

Last futzed with by Sailariel; January 8th, 2009 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Punctuation error needed correcting.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2009, 10:53 AM   #2
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

Well I didn't get an 08 or 09 but I did buy an 06 off the lot and got the extended warranty. I am glad I did due to Tyke breaking down and needing a good amount of the engine replaced. I know that if it wasn't under warranty I would be rather screwed.

Old January 8th, 2009, 11:04 AM   #3
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Dont think there worth it

I dont mind working on electrical & mechanical things, so if something breaks down the road........ Iam all for fixing it myself.
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2009, 11:15 AM   #4
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

I got an extended warranty because if anything ever breaks I'm a certified mechanic and I get paid to fix it. Plus, insurance is just that.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2009, 11:28 AM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I get them on some of my bikes, and not others, depending on how long I plan to keep them and if I know of any potential gotchas out there. Right now I have extended warranties on all of our bikes. I've had great luck with Kawasaki extended warranties in the past; they covered thousands of dollars of work on my ZX-12R that would have been all out of pocket without the warranty. I've also heard that unlike some other manufacturers, once out of warranty Kawi is not particularly generous with picking up the tab for issues, even if they are from a clear bike defect and nothing the owner did. With only 12 months on the basic warranty, that's not enough time for everything to show up that might show up, IMO.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2009, 02:19 PM   #6
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

this is my first bike, so i didn't really know what to expect. i figured i would play it safe and get an additional 2 year extended warranty plus the tire/wheel warranty. i THINK these are refundable on a pro-rated basis, so i will just cancel them when i sell the bike.
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2009, 04:37 PM   #7
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Really appreciate the feedback. Will go for another year, and take it from there.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2009, 07:54 PM   #8
NICUNinja
ninjette.org member

Name: Trista

Motorcycle(s): '08 EX650R Green Kawasaki ninja

I paid the extra and got the extended warranty. If my bike breaks down what are the chances that I have the parts on me that I'm going to require? Who knows, but better safe than sorry...besides I'm not a mechanic.
NICUNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 9th, 2009, 03:38 PM   #9
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

I bought my bike from a friend who bought it new, the lady one of the local dealerships allowed me to get it while it was still in his name, otherwise I would not have been able to on a private sale. I got it because I have had bad luck with having a vehicle, still paying on it and a major repair on it.

NB
ninjabrewer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 9th, 2009, 05:54 PM   #10
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjabrewer View Post
the lady one of the local dealerships allowed me to get it while it was still in his name, otherwise I would not have been able to on a private sale.
This isn't accurate; anyone can get the Good Times extended warranty from Kawi as long as the bike is still under warranty. So that means a private sale within 12 months of when the bike is purchased is a-ok, or if you are still within the term of an existing Good Times extended warranty, a new owner can extend it past the initial term.

more info here --> http://www.kawasaki.com/products/Goo...ctionPlan.aspx

and here --> http://www.kawasaki.com/HelpCenter/help_goodtimes.aspx

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old January 10th, 2009, 11:36 AM   #11
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

That is what she told me or at least what I remember. I was still going to get it anyway. Personally, I don't believe the manufacturers warranties are long enough on any really big ticket item. I know that they need to keep selling to make a profit, but they could at least build them to outlast the warranty or the note.

my .02

NB
ninjabrewer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2009, 01:46 PM   #12
grandmaster
ninjette.org member

Name: Levi

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R, CR125R

I also bought mine used, and the person before me had the extended 3 year. I just went to the Kawi dealer here in St. George and got it transfered into my name.
grandmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2009, 08:47 PM   #13
travis5018
ninjette.org member

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

I didn't have the funds at the time, so I alloted not to. Plus when I bought the bike the plan was to sell it within the year to upgrade, but I like my bike enough I think I might keep it and pick up an extended warranty as my warranty expires....
travis5018 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2009, 07:58 PM   #14
SF-Dug
ninjette.org member

Name: Dug

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

I have a couple of questions.

1.) Is the warranty renewable? If I get for 1 year can I renew it the following year if I desire to do so?

2.) Do I have to take the bike to a dealership for simple things like oil/fluid changes? Or can it only be for stuff like valve and chain checks and still have it count?

3.) If I change my own oil and other fluids do I void the warranty on the extended warranty?
SF-Dug is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2009, 08:09 PM   #15
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

Warranty info from Kawasaki site: http://www.kawasaki.com/DefaultFrame...d_warranty.htm

Good Times Protection Plan info: http://www.kawasaki.com//Products/Go...ctionPlan.aspx

Old January 27th, 2009, 08:54 AM   #16
xTKx
Finally!

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): 09 Red 250R

If I get my bike, I'll probably go ahead and get the warranty.
xTKx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2009, 12:05 PM   #17
kkim

If you do, I'd suggest reading it completely and carefully before you purchase it and just not listen to the salesman about what it covers and under what circumstances. If you feel it's worth it for you at that point, then by all means proceed to purchase it.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2009, 01:00 PM   #18
xTKx
Finally!

For those interested:

Quote:
EXCLUSIONS–ITEMS NOT COVERED
1. Failures which are not due to a defect in material or factory workmanship.
2. Rental product and product engaged in racing or competition.
3. Repair or replacement required as a result of (i) accident or collision (ii) misuse, abuse or neglect (iii) lack of reasonable and proper maintenance (iv) repairs improperly performed
or replacement parts improperly installed (v) use of replacement parts or accessories not conforming to Kawasaki specifi cations which adversely effect performance and/or
durability; (vi) alterations or modifications not recommended or approved in writing by Kawasaki (vii) wear and deterioration (including loss of engine compression) occasioned by
the use of the product.
4. Regular maintenance service, adjustments or replacement of expendable maintenance items as outlined in the Owner’s Manual, but not limited to: filters, spark plugs, brake
shoes/pads, impellers and intake grilles, mats and bumpers.

5. Damage resulting from use of non recommended lubricant and coolant or the lack thereof.
6. Belts, tires, cables, chains, sprockets, batteries, bulbs, audio equipment, accessories, cosmetic appearance, gel coat stress cracks, watercrafts hulls and handlepoles.
7. Damage as a result of sand, water, rust and/or rocks.
8. Damage as a result of excess load including occupants and/or cargo; tow loads in excess of maximum weights as specified in the Owner’s Manual
9. Deterioration from the elements
*Information on the GTPP (Good Times Protection Plan)*
I thought number 4 was particularly interesting. It looks like regular maintenance is not covered under the GTPP.

Old January 27th, 2009, 08:32 PM   #19
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Why do you find that interesting? Regular maintenance isn't covered under any typical vehicle warranties. If your brake pads wear out, the owner's on the hook to replace them. Same with any other wear item. But, if a wear item wears out extremely early, sometimes manufacturers will cover them even if they may not be forced to from the contract.

Old January 28th, 2009, 03:48 PM   #20
xTKx
Finally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Why do you find that interesting? Regular maintenance isn't covered under any typical vehicle warranties. If your brake pads wear out, the owner's on the hook to replace them. Same with any other wear item. But, if a wear item wears out extremely early, sometimes manufacturers will cover them even if they may not be forced to from the contract.

Wow, I feel sheepish I mis-read some previous posts on this (and other) threads. I almost took some previous posts as "Does my GTPP cover my regular maintenance?" and not "Do I have to do it myself."

Hopefully this makes sense. Either way I still feel like a dummy..

EDIT: This is coming from a guy who knows practically nothing about motorcycles and their warranties.

Old January 29th, 2009, 12:38 AM   #21
Kurosaki
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星

Name: Joseph

Motorcycle(s): 08 Kurosaki 250, 09 Honda 600RawrRawr

I got one. I hindsight I should have waited until about now to decide if I wanted it or not but oh well. What's done is done. No point worrying about it now. Just enjoying the ride.
Kurosaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2009, 06:39 AM   #22
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

I decided I didn't want my extended warranty and sold it back to Kawasaki yesterday. Should be getting close to a 100% refund. Just in case you decide it's not for you, there is an option out.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2009, 10:20 AM   #23
xTKx
Finally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnNinjaGirl View Post
I decided I didn't want my extended warranty and sold it back to Kawasaki yesterday. Should be getting close to a 100% refund. Just in case you decide it's not for you, there is an option out.
AWESOME!! Thanks for the info! That's sure to help a lot of ninjette newbies like myself

Old January 29th, 2009, 06:23 PM   #24
Kurosaki
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星

Name: Joseph

Motorcycle(s): 08 Kurosaki 250, 09 Honda 600RawrRawr

Quote:
How did you handle this process?
Kurosaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2009, 08:08 PM   #25
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Anyone have in "new" input on this since it has been almost a year?

Old December 4th, 2009, 08:25 PM   #26
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Save your money. I had an extended warranty. Did me no good when my engine went out due to overheating fom a coolant line coming loose and a malfunctioning temp light. They blamed the engine going out on my jet kit say when it was installed something got into the motor. Magically my bike was fine for 1990 miles with the jet kit so I call bs. If you have a completely stock bike and plan on changing nothing on it then maybe its a good idea but in the end it just depends on how kawi feels on the day you need something fixed.

Old December 4th, 2009, 09:25 PM   #27
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
When I bought my bike new in April of 2005 I bought the 4 year extended waranty and have been lucky not to have needed it. The bike has not had any major problems. Having that good of an experience with this bike would I buy an extended waranty on my next bike purchase? I would say yes because an extended waranty is like an insurance policy - if something goes wrong you are covered.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2010, 11:50 AM   #28
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

My bike is about to turn 1 and I am still struggling over the decision to buy the GTPP - I do have the CDI issue - has anyone else used the extended warranty? I am having trouble getting the CDI issue resolved, so how does Kawasaki determine if a problem is covered? How quick are they to dismiss the claim for some petty reason?
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2010, 04:12 PM   #29
Luxodave
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha FZ6

I just bought a Ninja 250 last week and did not get the GTPP.

What is the CDI issue? Is this something that should make me rethink my decision?
Luxodave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2010, 04:17 PM   #30
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

No. If you have an issue it will pop up prior to your 1 year warranty that came with the bike.

Old May 5th, 2010, 05:58 PM   #31
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

The CDI issue should be a recall in my opinion. Until they realize that there is a problem there's not much we can do besides change it with a pregen CDI.

Old May 5th, 2010, 08:07 PM   #32
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

My standard 1 yr warranty was running out in Dec. last year, re-upped with the GTPP 2 yr extended for the difference of a few dollars. Just in case and ya never know.
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2010, 05:18 PM   #33
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

I bought the optional 4 year Good Times warranty for a total of 5 years of coverage. Of course, I retrofitted an '88-94 CDI, which cost less than missing a few hours of work to get the bike to the dealer and have nothing found! If (big if) I sell the bike, the warranty is fully transferable.

I had an engine replaced in my '99 Jeep Wrangler at 85K. Cost me $25 for shop supplies under the extended warranty.
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2010, 05:31 PM   #34
Gfortunes
love to ride

Name: George

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250r Ebony/Candy Persimon Red

here the extended waranty ends up costing about $10 dollars a month which is worth the peice of mind for me I bought a 2010 and only have 530 miles on it so far getting ready to do my first oil change and I am still glad I bought the extra 48 months for $462 and like has been stated it is tranferable and that can be a huge selling point on a used bike sale.
Gfortunes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2010, 07:29 PM   #35
petiteninja
ninjette.org member

Name: LMG

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja EX250J

i extended my warranty for four years. under the warranty they state that they will not repair or replace anything "as a result of alterations or modifications not recommended or approved in writing by Kawasaki". subsequently, i intend to have all my performance mod's done by my certified kawasaki dealer so that they have it on record just in case anything goes wrong.

the whole CDI issue spooks me out. so does my gas gauge not working (there was only 270 miles on the odometer at the time).
petiteninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2010, 05:06 AM   #36
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

FYI...you can get the 4 yr extended warranty from Ebay for $350! I told my dealer that and he matched it! Originally, he was talking a lot more than that.
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2010, 09:12 AM   #37
deezyellownutz
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Zx10R 2009 250R

I bought mine and it came with a 4 year warranty for $3,200 out the door. 2009 SE = )

Old May 8th, 2010, 03:23 AM   #38
ScorpionNinja

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

Quote:
I got an extended warranty because if anything ever breaks I'm a certified mechanic and I get paid to fix it. Plus, insurance is just that.
NICE!

I hope to join the ranks of you within this next year!!!

UTI in AZ. is what im thinking. You Reccomend a top school like that, rather than a "online class/degree"?

-OP, yea i got the extended warranty, but its NOT the GTPP one. I got duped with the Dealerships warranty. I didnt notice till past the 60 day mark. Now i cant cancel it to get my money back.

Last futzed with by ScorpionNinja; May 8th, 2010 at 07:53 PM.
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2010, 06:42 AM   #39
JokerSeven
Ride it like you stole it

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R, '04 R6(sold)

I bought the Kawasaki extended warranty too. Peace of mind on a new design model ment alot to me.
JokerSeven is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2010, 08:29 AM   #40
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

GTPP Warranty

My bike's one year warranty is about to expire -
Questions:
1. Should I get the extended warranty on my '09?
2. How does a repaired fairing affect the warranty - does a fall over void it?
3. Can the warranty be refunded in the future - bike wrecked?

I'm concered that the fall over will make getting warranty issues resolved a pain.

Sorry - this should have been posted in the General Discussion area.
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote