ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old January 14th, 2014, 08:36 PM   #1
GreeZdLightNin
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): Current Bike: 2004 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

2004 Ninja 250R Streetfighter which parts?

Hey everyone. Im new and im not sure where to put this sorry, I was wanting to jump into making streefighter bikes So i bought an 04 Ninja 250R..for $750...the front nose fairing was gone and id like to put aftermarket headlight/nose on. Id love to get the Z1000 look...does anyone have any ideas?
Also, could i fit the 08 ZZR 600 tail onto the 250 if I modify the underseat frame? thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ninjabike.jpg (62.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg headlight.jpg (1.2 KB, 227 views)
GreeZdLightNin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2014, 09:18 PM   #2
EsrTek
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

This might help:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=28216
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2014, 09:39 PM   #3
GreeZdLightNin
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks! Id love to do that to it, but mine is a difrent body style, that was a newer 08+ style(which i love!)

Old January 15th, 2014, 06:12 AM   #4
CaptainPlatypus
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '86 Honda VFR700

Take a look here to start with. Personally, I'm planning to streetfighter my ninjette when I can afford it. I'd be removing all the fairings but the side panels, rear, and lower, and trading out the stock headlight and turn signals for something like this and the stock mirrors for something like this. Keeping the stock tach/etc to save money. I'm also going to do this fender 'removal'.

Closest picture I can find online to what this will look like is this:

But with all the colors matching, and red, in my case.

Hopefully that helps!
CaptainPlatypus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2014, 04:26 PM   #5
GreeZdLightNin
ninjette.org newbie

Awesome! thats the healight/nose id like, ill keep the fairing underneath, but take off the sides and somehow switch the tail section to something like this...
still tossing around ideas

Old January 16th, 2014, 01:48 PM   #6
GreeZdLightNin
ninjette.org newbie

Ok, so ran into an issue tday. I started it up and ran some sea foam in it and it took was having troubling idling. I rode it with th choke at about half to keep it runnin and eventually down the road, was fine with no choke, then i stopped and it died...wouldnt start back up so i had to push it back to the house.
Any ideas as to what thats causing this?
I was thinking carbs or fuel filter...

Old January 16th, 2014, 01:56 PM   #7
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

How much Seafoam did you use? Alot of it will prevent an engine from running. If you used a lot of it dump the tank and refill with fresh gas.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2014, 02:13 PM   #8
GreeZdLightNin
ninjette.org newbie

hmmm i think about 6 ounces.
EDIT: I got it runnin...let it sit for 15mns, and playd with the petcock, also had to make sure it was on reserve since it was low on gas. Another thing tho,when i twist the throttle and give it gas, it will die if i only give it like 1/8 turn..if i give it alot of throttle it ok.idk if that would be the throttle cable or carbs acting up...

Old January 16th, 2014, 05:26 PM   #9
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 2001

I've run seafoam before and I think it's a waste of money personally.

Your issue could be many things. Check all of your cable slacks and adjust your idle next time your engine is warmed up.

Old January 16th, 2014, 07:06 PM   #10
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreeZdLightNin View Post
hmmm i think about 6 ounces.
EDIT: I got it runnin...let it sit for 15mns, and playd with the petcock, also had to make sure it was on reserve since it was low on gas. Another thing tho,when i twist the throttle and give it gas, it will die if i only give it like 1/8 turn..if i give it alot of throttle it ok.idk if that would be the throttle cable or carbs acting up...
If there is any condensation in the tank you'll be sucking it in when on reserve. Best bet is to remove all of what's left from the tank, then fill with fresh 87 octane (no ethanol if possible) and 1 oz per gal of Chevron Techron Concentrate. Having bad fuel will give you problems that you'll never cure with any amount of cleaning or tuning. Drain the float bowls and look at what comes out. That will tell you more about what the issue may be.

If it still does the same thing, chances are the pilot jets are plugged - which means the carbs need to be removed and properly cleaned.

What you described is typical of plugged pilot jets, but confirm you have good fuel before taking things apart. It's always a good idea to keep the tank as full as possible to avoid condensation. Ethanol-free gas will usually make a stock engine run better (if it's not been adjusted for gas with ethanol). Gas with ethanol will make a carbed engine run lean.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2014, 07:57 PM   #11
GreeZdLightNin
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
If there is any condensation in the tank you'll be sucking it in when on reserve. Best bet is to remove all of what's left from the tank, then fill with fresh 87 octane (no ethanol if possible) and 1 oz per gal of Chevron Techron Concentrate. Having bad fuel will give you problems that you'll never cure with any amount of cleaning or tuning. Drain the float bowls and look at what comes out. That will tell you more about what the issue may be.

If it still does the same thing, chances are the pilot jets are plugged - which means the carbs need to be removed and properly cleaned.

What you described is typical of plugged pilot jets, but confirm you have good fuel before taking things apart. It's always a good idea to keep the tank as full as possible to avoid condensation. Ethanol-free gas will usually make a stock engine run better (if it's not been adjusted for gas with ethanol). Gas with ethanol will make a carbed engine run lean.
Ok thanks. Do you know of a good tutorial for carb cleaning? Including removal? Thats one area iv never gotten into. Not a clue where to start.
Thanx.

Old January 16th, 2014, 08:33 PM   #12
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Ok thanks. Do you know of a good tutorial for carb cleaning? Including removal? Thats one area iv never gotten into. Not a clue where to start.
Thanx.
Read through this section - http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Intake. It has a lot of info about carbs and tuning.

You also need a way to sync the carbs. The carbs must be synced in order to run properly.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2014, 08:36 PM   #13
GreeZdLightNin
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Read through this section - http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Intake. It has a lot of info about carbs and tuning.

You also need a way to sync the carbs. The carbs must be synced in order to run properly.
Hmmm...sounds like i might hafto turn this one over to the shop to fix, sadl :'(

On a sidenote, i started easy..took side fairing off and painted gloss black..ill take off the fender, gas tank, and tail and paint them aftr i get this idling/throttle prob sorted out
I also bought a 2002 zx6 tail fairing for 23$ off ebay! Has some cracks but im gonna bondo them
Then retro/fab it onto my 250 (hope itll look okay) Cant wait! Pics coming soon. a cheapo acerbis may be all i can afford headlightwise until i save a lil more for a nicer one. Going with black/red highlight schem on the bike

Old January 30th, 2014, 03:12 PM   #14
GreeZdLightNin
ninjette.org newbie

Im back. sorry for the wait...i took the carbs apart and cleaned em good and now shes runnin almost like new. heres some updated pics.
I made some brackets for the zzr600 tail, and cut and custom formed the stock seat. Still have some more work and wiring to do to it though. I bought the zzr600 taillights and an Acerbis Vision headlight
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAM00693.jpg (121.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg CAM00695.jpg (69.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg CAM00715.jpg (99.0 KB, 25 views)

Old January 30th, 2014, 10:07 PM   #15
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Name: Lupe

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

Quote:
Im back. sorry for the wait...i took the carbs apart and cleaned em good and now shes runnin almost like new. heres some updated pics.
I made some brackets for the zzr600 tail, and cut and custom formed the stock seat. Still have some more work and wiring to do to it though. I bought the zzr600 taillights and an Acerbis Vision headlight
you need to stretch that material on the seat way way more. if you look at some of my pics i stretched that marine vinyl myself and you gotta really muscle it. it takes about a hour or two, 30-75 cuss words and almost as many staples. dont forget to warm the vinyl up so it wont rip as easy