Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 22nd, 2013, 02:11 PM   #41
quicklooker
ninjette.org member

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R '07

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
you should consider yourself extremely lucky you weren't injured by the chain.
Was sort of injuries would this normally involve?
quicklooker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2013, 02:15 PM   #42
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
the chain can fly into the air... getting hit by it will do real damage. it can lock up your engine or rear wheel causing you to crash. certain situations can even send the chain up into your leg

Old April 22nd, 2013, 02:32 PM   #43
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
That is normal. I checked my 2008 enigne.

To race land speed I have to have a metal chain guard 1/8 inch thick,

Old April 22nd, 2013, 03:12 PM   #44
quicklooker
ninjette.org member

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R '07

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
the chain can fly into the air... getting hit by it will do real damage. it can lock up your engine or rear wheel causing you to crash. certain situations can even send the chain up into your leg
Yikes. A sudden rear wheel lock up sounds like a for-sure way to go down very, very hard (being chain-whipped in the face aside).
quicklooker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2013, 07:16 PM   #45
soggybottom
Aimless

Name: rory

Motorcycle(s): 01 ninja 250

I had a chain break on a trip once. About an hour from home cruising at 70 on the highway. Heard a loud clunk, and then the bike was screaming in the high rpms. Let off the throttle and pulled over, and sure enough the chain was gone. Took a good chunk of engine case with it. Took a nap off the side of the highway while waiting for my wife to pick me up. was my face when it happened.

Old April 23rd, 2013, 07:36 AM   #46
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by quicklooker View Post
Yikes. A sudden rear wheel lock up sounds like a for-sure way to go down very, very hard (being chain-whipped in the face aside).
Not always (not my story; just an example):

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1259956

I went down quick and hard when mine locked the rear tire while on a curve.
The most impressive thing was how instantaneously the whole thing seemed to happen and my face while I was picking up the bike.

You don't know what happened until you try to push the machine out of the way, in a lot of pain and covered by some blood.

Luckily, somebody helped me lift the rear and push it.

The next ordeal was to un-jam the chain and sprocket from the crankcase (a huge screwdriver and a hammer did it).
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2013, 06:12 PM   #47
mgentz
Board Member

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): 250R (street), 250R (dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
I think it needs the shock stop of the sprocket locking up, Breaks don't stop that quick and there is the rubber crush,. BUT you must bend that lock tab over.
I bend my lock washer and then safety wire the nut on the CS sprocket. Never had any issues.
mgentz is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 25th, 2013, 07:48 PM   #48
walty87
ninjette.org guru

Name: andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2012 ninja 250

Was bored so i took some YouTube vids it doesn't look like my shaft is bent

http://youtu.be/6CrJ6rfkCkI

In this next video I noticed while in natural my front sprocket turns. Is that norm?

http://youtu.be/LBn1OF5mUa0
walty87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2013, 08:31 PM   #49
Goom
ninjette.org guru

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 1976 CB550 Cafe, 2011 Ninja 250, 1999 Honda CR125

Quote:
Originally Posted by walty87 View Post
Was bored so i took some YouTube vids it doesn't look like my shaft is bent

http://youtu.be/6CrJ6rfkCkI

In this next video I noticed while in natural my front sprocket turns. Is that norm?

http://youtu.be/LBn1OF5mUa0
That's normal. It's not engaged, but the small amount of friction between the gears and shaft is what is causing it to spin.

As far as the shaft goes, looking at it isn't exactly the most scientific approach. The only way to know for sure would be to check the runout, but if you didn't feel any movement at all when you stopped the sprocket with your finger, I would think it would be okay as long as everything is working fine internally.
Goom is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 26th, 2013, 11:15 AM   #50
walty87
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goom View Post
That's normal. It's not engaged, but the small amount of friction between the gears and shaft is what is causing it to spin.

As far as the shaft goes, looking at it isn't exactly the most scientific approach. The only way to know for sure would be to check the runout, but if you didn't feel any movement at all when you stopped the sprocket with your finger, I would think it would be okay as long as everything is working fine internally.
So glad that's normal! Haha

New parts in the mail, 160 bucks down the drain

Old May 3rd, 2013, 10:31 AM   #51
walty87
ninjette.org guru

Question for you pros

I ordered the wrong part and I did not get that 20mm nut for my front sprocket. I'm itching to ride and got everything else I need, will any 20mm nut work? From like a hardware store? Or is that one special (92015 front sprocket nut)

Old May 3rd, 2013, 10:36 AM   #52
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by walty87 View Post
.........will any 20mm nut work? From like a hardware store? Or is that one special (92015 front sprocket nut)
Nope, you won't find anything like that at any hardware store or autoparts store; ............keep waiting.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2013, 01:21 PM   #53
walty87
ninjette.org guru

Dang that sucks. 5 to 7 more days.

Old May 3rd, 2013, 02:25 PM   #54
b.miller123
ninjette.org member

Name: Brett

Motorcycle(s): 1998 Ninja 250 2007 Yamaha R6 2003 Honda RC51... sold :(

Maybe I missed it, but did you ever see if it actually was the master link that let loose?

I honestly don't think it had anything to do with your chain. Like stated above, DID is a good brand. One of the few I'll buy. I think the nut on the front sprocket came off. Did you tighten it with a torque wrench?

As to the whole clip on master link argument: If I have a choice, I'll go with rivet style 100% of the time. If there is no choice, I will use safetywire 100% of the time. Lots of people ride without gear or helmets everyday and have zero issues. Doesn't mean I am going to. I also use safety wire on the front sprocket bolt/nut of every bike I own.
b.miller123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2013, 02:40 PM   #55
walty87
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.miller123 View Post
Maybe I missed it, but did you ever see if it actually was the master link that let loose?

I honestly don't think it had anything to do with your chain. Like stated above, DID is a good brand. One of the few I'll buy. I think the nut on the front sprocket came off. Did you tighten it with a torque wrench?

As to the whole clip on master link argument: If I have a choice, I'll go with rivet style 100% of the time. If there is no choice, I will use safetywire 100% of the time. Lots of people ride without gear or helmets everyday and have zero issues. Doesn't mean I am going to. I also use safety wire on the front sprocket bolt/nut of every bike I own.
dont believe it was the master link that let loose.

I believe my front sprocket nut came off, and thats what caused the problem. I say that because I could not find the washer or the nut anywhere. I don't think it would have unscrewed loose with the chain snapping...

This sucks, it's such nice weather! I just want my part to ship! lol. No Kawasaki dealer within 70 miles of me has this part in stock either. No one else has a nut laying around that would work huh?