ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 4th, 2009, 01:43 PM   #1
jola
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250R

RPM issues? Best way I could describe it.

I was gearing up to take my bike about 225 miles round trip. I started her up, no problems. Went to the gas station and filled up. Left the gas station and about 2 miles down the road I stalled out while I was coming to a stop. Started back up a little more slowly than normal.

I start driving and the throttle response is very very sluggish and the motor is very slow coming back to idle when I pulled in the clutch. I pull into a parking lot and shut it off. Check the fuel lines and the fuel cock, everything looks ok. The bike refuses to start back up. Turns over fine, no firing though. I sit around wondering and call my buddy. He shows up and pushes the button, it starts. I mess with the idle screw so that it idles around 1800 RPM, then I take off back home. The bike would not run slower than 4500-5000 RPM once I got on the throttle. I rode back without actually using the throttle because I could just keep shifting since it was a constant 5000 RPM. The throttle response continued to be unnaturally sluggish.

Any ideas? I took the tank off yesterday to gap the plugs, something I neglected to do before (yet it ran well). It smelled rich when I parked it. I am thinking I'll start by taking the plugs back out but even so, I don't see how that could be related to the revving.
jola is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2009, 01:56 PM   #2
kkim

check that your choke cable is properly adjusted and operationg smoothly and also that your throttle cables are well lubed and not binding.

when was the last time you rode the bike before this incident?

are you setting the idle speed to 1800 after the bike has been fully warmed up?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2009, 02:00 PM   #3
jola
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
check that your choke cable is properly adjusted and operationg smoothly and also that your throttle cables are well lubed and not binding.
Choke cable is definitely on my list to examine. I have not checked it for adjustment since it has been fine to date. Throttle needs lubing for sure.

EDIT: The RPM is not high due to a stuck throttle though. I made sure it returned to idle position. I ride with a decent amount of engine braking, so I usually maintain strict oversight of where the throttle is. Haha, oversight.
Quote:
when was the last time you rode the bike before this incident?
A quick 2 or 3 mile ride about 3 days ago.
Quote:
are you setting the idle speed to 1800 after the bike has been fully warmed up?
I have a habit of messing with the idle while riding. I'll adjust it at startup if it is idling low due to being cold, then I'll readjust when it is warmed up.

Old July 4th, 2009, 05:30 PM   #4
jola
ninjette.org member

Update: I just got back from working on the moto a little. Took all the fairings off and examined. I lubed up the choke cable and mechanism and i lubed the throttle and cables. I swapped the old spark plugs back in. One of the plugs had oil on it, so I have to keep an eye on it. Putting the tank back on I realized what had most likely happened: pinched the throttle cables against the bumper that fits into the groove of the tank.

Started it up and took it around the parking lot and all is well so far.

Old July 5th, 2009, 01:14 PM   #5
Verus Cidere
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '91 Honda CBR600 F2

I was going to suggest checking the plugs myself, but you already took care of that. Be sure to recheck the plug that had oil in it just to be sure it's not a recurring problem. The most trouble I've ever had with my bike running is when I got bad plugs. I had to change them out twice before I got good ones too! (Actually, that was the dealer's fault, as they did the work for me. I'm a newb with 0 experience in mechanics. I barely learned how to change the oil from this site!!!! ) Also, it may not be the best idea to mess with the idle that much. I may be wrong on this (being a mech newb) but I'm fairly certain that if you need to enrich the gas at startup due to the bike being cold, you should use the choke, not the idle adjustment screw. Again, I may be wrong.....

Old July 5th, 2009, 01:34 PM   #6
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jola View Post
I have a habit of messing with the idle while riding. I'll adjust it at startup if it is idling low due to being cold, then I'll readjust when it is warmed up.
don't do that.

set the idle at the desired speed (I use 1500) after the bike is fully warmed up. To get the bike to start and idle when cold, use your choke.

also, with regards to plugs, I use only NGK plugs in my bike. I've learned over the years that using any other plug than what the manufactures recommend can sometimes lead to problems.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2009, 03:54 PM   #7
jola
ninjette.org member

Its just such a user friendly idle screw!

Ok ok, I'll use the choke from now on.

I'll recheck the plugs down the road some for sure.