ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 5th, 2017, 01:53 PM   #1
Speedy3
ninjette.org member

Name: Kyle

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Speed Triple (Blazing Orange); 2010 Nina 250r (Race Project)

Talking Laugh with Me about my Future Race Bike! 2010 Ninja 250R

Hello!

Over the past couple months, you have all been an invaluable resource in helping me bring a lost, abused 250r back to life! Okay, maybe that is a bit of an exaggeration, but I do want to share my progress with you thus far. Unfortunately, I am currently at work, and so I cannot share pictures at this moment, but they will be added momentarily. In the meantime, let me paint a picture of how I came across my latest project!

About the end of last year, I had the epiphany that I needed to get some time on the track. Naturally, with some solid road time on a Speed Triple, and being the master of 1050cc's that I am , I decided that an r6 would be the best place to start. However, after receiving much more directed advice from resources on reddit and other forums that I frequent, I decided to aim my sights to fewer cc's, and so my search for a ninjette begins!

My budget was $1800, regardless of the bike size, and as you can imagine, the 600s that I found were far from track ready, leaving much more money to be spent. I the found the bike that would later be mine: a 201 250r for $1600. With a little texting magic, I was able to negotiate to $1400 - if it ran and stopped, I'd buy. I figured just getting a running motor and solid frame would be a solid place to start, and I just didn't mind spending $1400.

So, I got my trailer, left Raleigh at 3pm, and pulled 4 hour, down-and-back, to Greenville, SC. It was so late, that I didn't even want to ride it. I loaded it, and headed home so I could get at least some sleep before work the next day.

So, when sun came up, here is what I found (keep in mind I knew the bike wasn't perfect, but I learned much more in the light ):

The bike had been covered in Olive Plastidip, as the owner thought plastidip would serve as a good primer to paint the fairings flat back... with a bucket of paint (yea, this owner was on the same level as someone that neglects his kids!). Ok, so it was ugly, so what?

I noticed as well that the front forks were rather, how should I put this, grimy? Well, I suppose it would just be more accurate to say the fork seals were non-existent... as in there was at least a 16th of an inch of grime and oil and grease all over the forks from fork oil. I know what you8 are thinking, and of course some of this residual was on the rotors! Don't ask silly questions!

What else? well the previous owner was kind enough to let me know it would be wise to red-loctite the front calipers, as to his great surprise, the front caliper had at one time, worked itself loose. Well, upon inspection, I noticed a pair of random, Home Depot bolts that were chosen simply on thread lol. Completely loose on the fork, and so long that the middle one had scored the rotor! Thankfully the braking surface was spared, but still, at this point I'm thinking "WHAT AN IDIOT! HOW CAN YOU RIDE A TWO WHEELED DEATH MACHINE IN THIS CONDITION!".

I was told that the rear brake peg was missing as well. The foot peg was present, but the brake lever was not. It was easy to see that the rearsets were chinese, so I was not surprised. His logic: I never use the rear brake anyway... Well, this logic persists, as you cannot use the rear brake if there is NO REAR BRAKE LEVER!

I also noticed a sheen about the back tire. I thought, "cool, this guy polished my tires to give me a good looking ride". You see, when you put aftermarket rear sets on a motorcycle, it is often the case that you will need to shorten the tube leading the brake res to the master cylinder. Because, IF YOU DON'T, THE TUBE WILL RUB AGAINST THE TIRE, BURN THROUGH, AND LEAK BRAKE FLUID ALL OVER THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE TIRE!!!!!!!!!!! YES, this kid was riding this motorcycle, with no front suspension, and with brake fluid all over the back F*****G Tire!!!!!! Better yet, when I arrived, I saw him riding 2-up with his fiance. The Kicker here, he is selling the bike because his fiance is pregnant...........

WHAT ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH KEPT THIS KID ALIVE LONG ENOUGH TO REPRODUCE!!?? Oh I almost forgot, he thought he lowered the bike an inch, but of course he simply fully preloaded the rear shock lol... Okay, So this kid is riding with his future wife and child, on a motorcycle with no front suspension, shoddy front brakes, fully compressed rear shock, and with brake fluid all over a flattened, Shinko rear tire... It is a real South Carolinian mix of hilarity, depression, and bewilderment (I'm from the south, so I can say this).

Anyway, everything that was wrong, I needed to upgrade. But still, I just want you all to know where I, and my motorcycle have been, so you can appreciate how far we've come!

Pics (what I remembered to take) and more details to come!
Speedy3 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old March 5th, 2017, 02:18 PM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Look on the bright side... if you're willing to rub and peel long enough, you can get the Plasti Dip off. Tip: It dissolves very quickly in mineral spirits (AKA Varsol, paint thinner) in case you get tired of peeling. I know this because my '05 250 came covered in black Plasti Dip. Luckily for me, it was near Raleigh, and was only $1,100. It needed a few things done to be a good rider, but the previous owner wasn't suicidal like yours was.

Maybe sometime we can meet for a ride. I'm about an hour north of Raleigh.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2017, 05:55 PM   #3
Speedy3
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Speed Triple (Blazing Orange); 2010 Nina 250r (Race Project)

No lie! Actually peeled or a bit, and sprayed "Pure Citrus" aerosol air freshener (that stuff will melt anything off anything!). I ended up still be aggravated with the work, and zip tied two microfiber towels to a Mother's Power Ball and threw it in my M18 Hammer Drill (Milwaukee Tools plug lol). Made short work of the old plastidip!

Old March 5th, 2017, 06:14 PM   #4
Speedy3
ninjette.org member

I forgot to mention, the bike's nickname is "Momo Ricaro". I suppose it had decals at one point. Enjoy the picture! Most just detail what I spoke of previously. I also forgot to mention the mess of "cool" LED strips all over the bike. I cannot express how much I enjoyed severing them!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1032.jpg (80.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1034.jpg (114.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1036.jpg (118.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1038.jpg (117.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1041.jpg (83.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1043.jpg (174.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1044.jpg (176.5 KB, 15 views)

Old March 5th, 2017, 06:21 PM   #5
pantera
ninjette.org member

Name: Brion

Motorcycle(s): 2016 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom / 2017 Kawasaki Ninja 300

I passed on a couple of 2010's this winter for $1500 and both were in great shape with low miles.You paid way to much for that bike.
pantera is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2017, 06:28 PM   #6
Speedy3
ninjette.org member

So, while I wasn't the best about keeping up with pics, here we are now. I replaced the tank due to dings and rust, as well as adjusted valves; installed Manual CC; brand new brake pads and FULLY cleaned calipers; Stainless Steel Front Brake lines; Installed Vortex Rearsets (thanks to Ninjette marketplace!), replaced bolts in caliper; cleaned carb; Flushed Coolant; Installed .90 kg/mm front springs; Installed GSXR shock using SV650 links (raised it a bit... bottom part of spring is in contact with swing arm... could be bad??? But I love the height!); Pirelli's on the way! That's all I have for now!

Oh yea, Leo Vince slip on to replace the nasty shorty pipe he had!

The pics aren't organized, but rather just show pics I remembered to take. Remember how the last owner "primed" the fairings with plastidip (the worst idea for primer ever)?? To paint the bike flat black??? Yea, turns out the fairings were flat black to start with!!!

Also note the bada$$ paddock stand that the most lovely lady in the world bought for me! This project would have been IMPOSSIBLE without it!

It actually looks like a motorcycle again!

Will update with the new Pirellis!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1164.jpg (102.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1135.jpg (95.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1166.jpg (84.2 KB, 12 views)

Old March 5th, 2017, 06:36 PM   #7
Speedy3
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera View Post
I passed on a couple of 2010's this winter for $1500 and both were in great shape with low miles.You paid way to much for that bike.
I'm glad you let me know! I'll invite you with me next time when I go to purchase!

That said, I could have waited until a better price and quality showed itself, but it hadn't for sometime. Bit hey, even if Inpurchased one of the immaculate, $1500 gems in your area, I would still: adjust the valves to know they're proper, cleaned the carbs, upgraded suspension, got quality tires, got quality rear sets, upgraded brakes...

It just turns out I got more of a project... but I don't mind turning my own wrenches, and bolting on my own goodies! But that ain't for everyone!

Old March 5th, 2017, 06:41 PM   #8
pantera
ninjette.org member

Name: Brion

Motorcycle(s): 2016 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom / 2017 Kawasaki Ninja 300

Never used the word immaculate,just great shape with 3000 miles.Enjoy the bike..
pantera is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2017, 06:51 PM   #9
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Lookin heaps better so far... The PO sounds like some folks I know

Old March 5th, 2017, 09:38 PM   #10
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy3 View Post
EI also forgot to mention the mess of "cool" LED strips all over the bike. I cannot express how much I enjoyed severing them!
It's getting funnier... mine had a mess of green and white LEDs on the underside. After I got them removed, I used two white ones as my license plate light and they work great. I have plenty of spares, too.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2017, 10:02 PM   #11
Speedy3
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera View Post
Never used the word immaculate,just great shape with 3000 miles.Enjoy the bike..
Honestly, I'm just busting your chops. You're absolutely right. I should have been more discriminatory. I think it's a healthy mix of honest searching, since the only 2008+ models I could find were above 1750 in my area, and pure immature haste.

I will definitely bank this experience up in my lessons learned. I'm sure I will join the 300 class once those bikes become cheaper in a couple seasons. And when I do, I plan to get every cent out of my purchase!

Old April 1st, 2017, 05:47 PM   #12
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote