ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old December 27th, 2010, 10:29 PM   #1
Stillblunted
ninjette.org member

Name: T-MAC

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Help help! :( (clutch cable issues)

So my clutch cable went out on me last week. The replacement just came in today. I taped the bad cable to the starting of the good one, pulled it right threw for a easy fix. When i went to connect the bottom part of the cable to the "L" bracket that piece came up like about an inch. I didnt know if that was bad or not until i tried to put the bike in first and roll back.....it was like i was in neutral. Then i started the bike and this time started into N, clutch in....into first and the bike turned off and jerked forwards. When that piece got pulled up ( not all the way) did i mess something up? Suggestions would be awesome. Thanks!!
Stillblunted is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2010, 11:14 PM   #2
indr
ninjette.org guru

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

try to bend the bracket into original form as much as you can. then, you can play around with the adjustment nuts on both ends of the cable to set where the clutch engages when the lever is released
indr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2010, 12:01 AM   #3
Stillblunted
ninjette.org member

I got the whole cable in place, and the feel for the clutch to my liking, but when i went to put it in gear, and tried to roll back...it felt as if i had the bike in neutral. (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...0&tx=120&ty=75 )
The little bracket to the left of the oil cap. That lever came up about an inch to 2 inches....i was wondering if that was bad...or the reason why my bike cannot be but into gear.

Old December 28th, 2010, 08:44 AM   #4
indr
ninjette.org guru

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

when you say, came up, do you mean that it moved more towards the oil cap or did it move "UP". i.e. bent UP?

Look at what's happening to the bracket when you work the clutch lever. take pics maybe or a video
indr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 29th, 2010, 05:59 AM   #5
GiGs
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

had to reply to this before I go to bed...i've experienced the same 'issue' as have many others (and it's normal by the way). I feel like it needs a name

I am 90% sure this is what your referring to:

Granted it is technically a pre-gen motor featured in that picture but it's exactly the same on the 08+> (just looks a tad different).

It's normal for it to come out and it will (and needs to) go back into place before the clutch will work properly. Once you take it out you will need to spin it around to get it seated and sort of 'click' into place again...you will feel and see it no doubt. Once it's in place, attach the clutch cable and it will feel correct - adjust the slack on the cable and start it up to test
GiGs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2011, 01:39 AM   #6
Stillblunted
ninjette.org member

Awesome man, hopefully i can get that going tomorrow. At least give it a shot. Sounds easy enough tho! Thanks!!!

Old January 24th, 2012, 03:27 PM   #7
squaregamer476
learning stages

Name: M

Motorcycle(s): black 09 kawasaki ninja 250

theres an in and out switch below the clutch handle. anyone know what it is and operation?

how do i post pix? tried but don't work. =P
squaregamer476 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2012, 04:20 PM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

It's the clutch safety switch. It's what lets the bike know that the clutch is pulled in, to allow the starter motor to engage even if the transmission is in first. If the switch is broken off, or is inhibited in any way so it is not pressed in when the clutch lever is released, then the bike will always think the clutch lever is pulled. The danger is then if you hit the starter button and the bike is in gear, the bike will jump forward (and there's a risk of damaging the starter motor and its related parts).

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2012, 07:32 PM   #9
squaregamer476
learning stages

Name: M

Motorcycle(s): black 09 kawasaki ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
It's the clutch safety switch. It's what lets the bike know that the clutch is pulled in, to allow the starter motor to engage even if the transmission is in first. If the switch is broken off, or is inhibited in any way so it is not pressed in when the clutch lever is released, then the bike will always think the clutch lever is pulled. The danger is then if you hit the starter button and the bike is in gear, the bike will jump forward (and there's a risk of damaging the starter motor and its related parts).
thank you. Is it easy to replace and whats the cost of those switches off hand?
squaregamer476 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2012, 09:20 PM   #10
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

There are links to parts diagrams in sticky threads in the tech section, and those can be used to get OEM part pricing at places like RonAyers.com and BikeBandit.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote