Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[visordown.com] - First ride HarleyDavidson Street 750 review

Turns easily

Fairly natural riding position.

Liquid-cooled V-twin engine is punchy.

The gloss black Street 750 cost £5,795. Other colour options including this blue are £5,995.

No rev counter. Or fuel gauge (just a light). Or clock.

The custom scrambler Street 750 shown off by HD at the launch.

HARLEY-DAVIDSON hopes to attract new people to the brand with the Street 750 and there are two reasons why the machine will. The first is the price. At £5,795 on the road, it’s £1,700 less than the next cheapest model in the range, the Iron 883. The second reason is that the Street 750 doesn't feel too much like a Harley.

For a start it’s liquid-cooled, only the second bike to come from Harley-Davidson that is, after the V-Rod. That means the Street 750’s engine can be quieter and more free-revving than other Harleys - which it is. Harleys are famous for their supposedly distinctive noise. I wouldn't recognise this from its docile engine note.

It’s got a fairly natural riding position, with your back straight, not bent forward to reach the bars. The pegs are a short distance ahead of the seat, not way out in front. It feels smaller than other Harleys. It needs only a narrow street to perform a U-turn, not a car park.

Harley devotees love the machines for their distinctive personality and know exactly what they’re getting when they buy one. Non-devotees do not and may simply want a motorcycle - which on this occasion is what Harley has built.

Introduced in Italy, Spain and Portugal for 2015, the Street 750 is only now due to go on sale in the UK. It reaches us with a round of minor updates for 2016, the most significant being a new Brembo front brake caliper on a slightly bigger disc, up from 292mm to 300mm.

The Street 750 instantly feels more accessible to non-Harley riders. At 229kg wet, it’s the lightest machine in the US marque’s range and I daresay it’s probably the easiest to ride.

From the way it changes direction, I’d have guessed it was lighter still. It pitches quickly and easily into corners, more so than the two updated models which Harley launched alongside it in Barcelona, the Iron 883 and Forty-Eight.

The engine is punchy. In Barcelona's busy traffic, a small blip of throttle sent it shooting through gaps like Arnie past the lorry in Terminator 2. Most of the fun to be had is from this mid-range wallop, with peak torque at 4,000rpm. But it does keep pulling as revs climb in quite an un-Harley-like way, until it hits a rev-limiter. There’s no rev-counter and this is one Harley that might benefit from one.

It felt stronger than the 883cc Iron and a simple test suggested it was. Rolling on the throttle at about 70mph, the Street 750 pulled away from the bigger capacity air-cooled machine. Both were in top gear (sixth on the Street, fifth on the Iron).

The seat is low, at 710mm, soft and large, with a bum-friendly concave profile. The short should have no trouble getting both feet flat on the ground.

The pegs are widely spaced in typical cruiser style and the distance between them and the seat is small. As I said in my first impressions of the bike, the position is not entirely unlike squatting on a low toilet, with knees bent at an acute angle.

I was comfortable most of the time but the position did seem to cause me intermittent spasms of cramp, which I could only relieve by standing up at traffic lights. I suspect six-footers may find it a bit of a tight fit.

Maximum lean angle is 28.5° according to Harley. That’s a tiny bit less than the Iron 883, which manages 29° on one side and 30° on the other, but still a lot more than some Harleys. Take the Softail Breakout, which touches down at 23.4°.

It's possible to enjoy cornering the Street 750 without constantly worrying about running out of clearance, but optimum lean angle is within reach and the sound of scraping pegs is the reward for getting there. Except it's not pegs that are scraping.

Click here to continue reading our Harley-Davidson Street 750 review

Related Content

First impressions: Harley-Davidson Street 750 review
Harley-Davidson Street 750 coming to UK
The Odd Couple: James May motorbike review
Harley's Street 500 knocks Honda off sales top spot in Australia
Aprilia SL750 Shiver vs Triumph Street Triple

It should be fun scraping the hero blobs...

...But because there aren't any hero blobs, you're actually doing this.

On the right, the first bit of metal to touch down is the exhaust heat shield.

On the left it's the side-stand bracket which goes down with a thunk.

Why not just give it hero blobs like these on the Forty-Eight?

Some of Harley's usual attention to styling detail has been sacrificed. Compare the visible seam weld at the front of the tank...

...to the seamless peanut tank of the Iron 883.

Tail light and number plate hanger also seem a but plasticy for a Harley.

The Street 750 has no hero blobs on the pegs. What touches down first is the rubber of pegs, followed almost instantly by another part of the motorcycle. On the right-hand side it's the exhaust heat shield. On the left it's the solid side-stand bracket which hits the road with an unyielding thunk.

Hero blobs give you a small margin of error, knowing the folding pegs provide a little more lean angle after metal touches road. A solid side-stand bracket does not. Much further and you’re not coming back up. It seems an omission on a bike that grounds relatively easily. I suppose hero blobs would eat into that 28.5° lean angle.

The suspension is quite soft and a little bouncy and wallowy at times. I don’t think it matters on an affordable cruiser as much as a comfortable ride quality, which the preload-adjustable twin shocks and non-adjustable fork provide.

The old front brake was criticised as lacking power in the US bike press. The new twin-pot sliding Brembo caliper proved powerful enough to let me inadvertently and momentarily lock the front when braking for a corner on a winding hill road. Just a little skid as the tyre hit bump but enough to remind me that the Street 750 doesn’t have ABS, even as an option. According to Michael Carney, the Harley’s PR manager for Europe, it's to keep the price low. All new bikes sold in Europe over 125cc must have ABS by 2017 at the latest, so we can be confident of seeing an updated Street 750 this time next year whether it pleases the money men or not.

Budget demands also seem evident in the styling. Harley's usual fastidious attention to detail is less in evidence. Look at that visible seam weld at the front of the petrol tank. Compare it to the flawless peanut tank of the Iron 883. And while the Iron has indicators which also serve as a tail light, the Street 750 has a big bog-standard-looking plasticy rear light and plate hanger.

But these minor cosmetic considerations are outweighed by the Street 750's proposition as a Harley that's cheap and easy to ride, to live with, to use every day as transport.

A Harley that's not awkward, that will easily slalom through stationary traffic without requiring you to over-reach for the bars.

Harley says it's aimed at 'young adults and urban riders'. It's just a Harley that anyone could live with, novices included. It's that usefulness and flexibility that guarantees its appeal to non-Harley riders. It can be made A2 compliant, with a 47hp restrictor kit which HD says will cost under £100 fitted. How much it restricts it by is unclear, as Harley does not provide official power figures.

With the market's appetite for retro/traditional/off-the-shelf-custom bikes, there are certain to be riders tempted by a Harley for £1,100 less than the cheapest Ducati Scrambler. As if to make the point, Harley showed some customised Street 750s at the launch including a scrambler version.

It could find itself competing for buyers with Yamaha's retro-style XSR700, based on the £5,349 MT-07. But for some the Harley badge will represent authentic traditional character which a dressed-up Yamaha can't emulate - even if the bike wearing the Harley badge isn't that much like one.

Model tested: Harley-Davidson Street 750

Price: £5,795 on the road for gloss black option. Other colour options £5,995.

Engine: 749cc liquid-cooled V-twin

Power: No claimed figure

Torque: 43.5lbft @4,000rpm

Weight ‘in running order’: 229kg

Frame: Tubular steel double cradle

Tank capacity: 13.1 litres

Seat height: 710mm

Colours: gloss black, matt black, red, blue.

Availability: September 2015

• Sign up for Visordown's weekly newsletter, Bugsplat, to get the best motorcycle news, road tests and features plus exclusive competitions and offers direct to your inbox. Register as a Visordown member here and tick the box for Bugsplat in your newsletter settings here.

Related Content

First impressions: Harley-Davidson Street 750 review
Harley-Davidson Street 750 coming to UK
The Odd Couple: James May motorbike review
Harley's Street 500 knocks Honda off sales top spot in Australia
Aprilia SL750 Shiver vs Triumph Street Triple

Click here for full story...