ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 30th, 2011, 06:35 PM   #1
nips
ninjette.org member

Name: treavor

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r

need help! my baby got ran over

so yesterday my friend went to go buy his new zx6r and has a lifted truck and forgot where my 08 250r was and hit it and made it slide on the street a good 6 inches

of course its memorial day weekend so no shop is open

i want to get an idea how much my buddy has to pay to fix my bike or if it would be considered totaled

the right handle bar is bent down touching the fairings the upper fairing is scratched and cracked. the left side fairing is broken in 2. the right side fairing is scratched and cracked. the front caliper is deeply scratched. the mirror and front brake lever has bad road rash. the rear brake lever is bent bad enough i couldnt bend it back and my two bros exhaust is scrapped and bend (i think it might just be the mount/ rear foot peg.

im still in shock i havent even had it for a month and was jsut about to hit 300 miles

is this worth repairing or would it be considered totalled
i paid 3200 for this bike april 1st
nips is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2011, 06:40 PM   #2
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

That blows.. get your buddy who ran into your bike to take it to a shop and have him pay for everything that it needs to get it back to its original condition prior to the incident.

That seems fair to me.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2011, 06:51 PM   #3
nips
ninjette.org member

o believe me thats what he will be doing

i just wanted to know if its enough damage to be considered totaled o the front brake doesnt really work now after the hit

i told him if it isnt in the process of being fixed or fixed this week then i will take his new 05 zx6r till its done

Old May 30th, 2011, 06:56 PM   #4
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Quote:
Originally Posted by nips View Post

i just wanted to know if its enough damage to be considered totaled o the front brake doesnt really work now after the hit
Without pics, can't say for sure.

Quote:
i told him if it isnt in the process of being fixed or fixed this week then i will take his new 05 zx6r till its done
That's a bit unreasonable.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2011, 04:01 AM   #5
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Super Sherpa!

Quote:

Is there some magic genie that totals bikes? A vehicle only gets 'totaled' if you involve insurance and the the insurance company feels that the cost of fixinh it would approach or exceed the value of the vehicle itself. Thus, they pay you a version of what they feel is the fair market value and they take the wreck from you. If you are handling damages between you and the other party, you could have $10,000 in damages to your Ninja 250 and it wont be 'totalled.'

Yeah, if I was him, Id tell you to go pound sound when it comes to the 636.
Too40gawlf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2011, 07:38 AM   #6
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Quote:

is this worth repairing or would it be considered totalled
i paid 3200 for this bike april 1st
Low-speed drop, minimal damage. Did he actually run over any part of the bike? Or just bump it over onto its side? If the latter, then parts to fix will probably run less than a grand. Fairings and bits are a lot more common on ebay and locally for this bike than for the pre-gens. Start hitting craigslist and ebay for used parts, work up a price, and present it to him. It's all bolt-on stuff so it'll be easy to fix. Make sure that the painted bits come from the same year bike so that the paint matches.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2011, 12:16 PM   #7
nips
ninjette.org member

id take his zx6r because i dont have a way to get to work now

he was telling me he has 700 bucks now since he went and got the new bike right after he knocked mine over and if the damage is more then that it will have to be done with insurance and i didnt know if thats enough damage for them to just say **** it and call it totalled i just noticed the front brake rotar is bent and the lip on the rim is cracked

Old May 31st, 2011, 12:29 PM   #8
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Yeah, this is going to be a tough one. Per book value (what the insurance is going to pay for your bike) your bike is probably worth about $2500-3000. Now, I dont have a great idea about parts and prices for Ninja 250s, but if all the things you list need replacing, comibned with the labor at the shop, there is a good chance you can rach the total threshold for the bike (which is probably somewere at about 2/3 the value of the bike). So if you get an estimate from a shop at or above $2000, the insurance is going to total the bike.

If the estimate is in fact that high. Theres a way you can approach this which may in fact turn out to be a net benefit for you. You can file the claim against his insurance and take the pay out, buy back your totaled bike at a fraction of its book value, buy an older pre-gen for transportation, and over time fix your wrecked new gen by doing the work yourself.

I think the first thing you need to do is get an estimate from a shop or two to see what the damages are.

Old May 31st, 2011, 12:38 PM   #9
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): EX250J

Wait...he wants you to use your insurance to cover the damage HE did?

If not, I don't see what the big deal is. You don't HAVE to put your bike in the shop. My cousin's R1 had most of the front end stolen and he told his insurance he would do the labor(he isn't a mechanic), and his insurance told him to buy the parts and give them the receipts.

Your friend's insurance should be able to do the same. Talk to them and work something out.

EDIT: whoops, didn't see the part about this being your to-work transport. Still, if his insurance totals it and you get back anything less than $3000 he should make up the difference. If I were him I would have put off buying my ZX-6R another 2 weeks and helped you recoupe your loss.
Liber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2011, 12:56 PM   #10
nips
ninjette.org member

ya exactly it kinda pissed me off he leaves me without a bike and 2 hours later spends 5400 on a bike for him when he has a work truck and this is his weekend bike

im taking it to a shop today for an estimate i just wanted to know what the options will be i didnt know if i should plan on seeing my bike soon or if i should start shopping for a new bike

Old May 31st, 2011, 01:00 PM   #11
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Name: Luke

Motorcycle(s): 06 Buell Uly, 05 VStar 1100

Friend or no friend he would be paying for it, either him outa pocket or his insurance. It was his fault. Ask him how he would feel if you ran over his brand new zx6r.
Bosgarage57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2011, 01:15 PM   #12
nips
ninjette.org member

he feels like **** for it we both know im not putting a cent into the repairs

were just trying to find out if the damage is enough for outa pocket or if insurance has to get invovled and he actually has 500 left

thats not enough for the repairs is it?

Old May 31st, 2011, 01:21 PM   #13
Liber
ninjette.org sage

how much is his deductible?

Old May 31st, 2011, 01:24 PM   #14
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

500 isnt gonna do it... get with his insurance.
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2011, 01:49 PM   #15
nips
ninjette.org member

its 500 do u guys think i should start shopping for a new bike? cuz everything thats got road rash on will be replaced the caliper even has road rash

Old May 31st, 2011, 02:13 PM   #16
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Quote:
id take his zx6r because i dont have a way to get to work now

he was telling me he has 700 bucks now since he went and got the new bike right after he knocked mine over and if the damage is more then that it will have to be done with insurance and i didnt know if thats enough damage for them to just say **** it and call it totalled i just noticed the front brake rotar is bent and the lip on the rim is cracked
If the rotor and rim are damaged he actually ran over the front end. Dollars to donuts the forks are bent and the frame may well be as well. Unless your friend is a cash fountain it's time to go with his insurance. Bike is probably totaled, BTW, not from a standpoint of repairability but from a cost perspective. General rule of thumb is when repair costs reach around 60% (varies by company) of the blue book value it's considered a total loss.

Edit to add: If you file a claim with your insurance company, even if they recover fully from his insurance company, your rates will go up. File with his company, against his liability policy.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2011, 02:13 PM   #17
DEXSPEED
2012 is here,let's ride!!

Name: dex

Motorcycle(s): 2009R,'12 suzuki +500

his insurance first

Old May 31st, 2011, 02:20 PM   #18
Liber
ninjette.org sage

I think you should take a deep breath and get him to file with his insurance company. From what Frugal said, I agree it sounds like it is totalled.

Was the bike new or used? if used, I know you said you were just about to hit 300 miles, but is that how many YOU had put on it or was that total mileage?

Old May 31st, 2011, 02:25 PM   #19
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

First off, you should have gotten a police report from the accident. Since you didnt oh well.

Second, contact his insurance company, and yours to find out what to do next.

HIS insurance should pay for the repairs or a new bike....NOT yours.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2011, 02:33 PM   #20
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post
First off, you should have gotten a police report from the accident. Since you didnt oh well.

Second, contact his insurance company, and yours to find out what to do next.

HIS insurance should pay for the repairs or a new bike....NOT yours.
Good point, but I'm pretty sure he can still file a police report.

At UVA, my girlfriend's car got rammed by someone in the parking lot and she didn't notice for almost a week, since she pretty much walked everywhere on campus, and the police didn't give her any grief over it.

As long as your friend is there to file a statement with the police and you 2 are pretty much in agreement as to what happened, I doubt the police will give you any trouble.

Old May 31st, 2011, 02:50 PM   #21
nips
ninjette.org member

It happened in front of his house. So we can show the police where it happened. And the front end didn't get run over. The entire bike was pushed on the right side so the rim and caliper were touching the asfault. It was pushed hard enough to leave deep scratches in the street. I will contact his insurance because he is at fault. And for libers question. I personaly was about to hit 300. The bike is an 08 with 4890 miles. And it was in perfect condition
Posted via Mobile Device

Old May 31st, 2011, 03:04 PM   #22
nips
ninjette.org member

So there is no chance my rates will go up right?
Posted via Mobile Device

Old May 31st, 2011, 03:48 PM   #23
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Not if it goes through his insurance. Sounds like he just bought 2 new bikes.
CynicalC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2011, 03:49 PM   #24
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liber View Post
As long as your friend is there to file a statement with the police and you 2 are pretty much in agreement as to what happened, I doubt the police will give you any trouble.
lol... now that's when you find out who your true friends are.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2011, 03:58 PM   #25
Liber
ninjette.org sage

I think his friend owes it to him after taking off to buy a damn ZX-6R after screwing his bike up.. I would be livid.

Old May 31st, 2011, 04:18 PM   #26
nips
ninjette.org member

Ya I'm lucky to have him do it. He takes full blame for it and everything. Ya it pissed me off. He had 5.9k in cash with him when he hit my bike. 5.4k went to the zx6r
Posted via Mobile Device

Old May 31st, 2011, 05:33 PM   #27
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

Make sure it is totalled and if your insurance goes up he pays the increase monthly. You both make out with no animosity.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2011, 06:00 PM   #28
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

By the sounds of his "truck" driving capabilities, he'll be totalling out his brand new 6R in approx. 6 months..... I'll bet. Sorry you have been dealt this card from the "special needs" buddy. Maybe taking sledge hammer to the 6R would be a good emotional outlet.
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2011, 06:18 PM   #29
nips
ninjette.org member

Update: went to a sport bike repair shop and just a quick look over it is roughly 3k in damage. the forks are slightly tweeked. Now its if his insurance company will consider it a total loss or not
Posted via Mobile Device

Old May 31st, 2011, 06:20 PM   #30
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Update: went to a sport bike repair shop and just a quick look over it is roughly 3k in damage. the forks are slightly tweeked. Now its if his insurance company will consider it a total loss or not
Posted via Mobile Device
Any and every insurance company will consider that a total loss. Call his company in the morning and file a claim. You dont need a PR for this. In fact, most bigger PDs have better things to do than generate a PR on a non injury motor vehicle accident.

Old June 1st, 2011, 12:58 AM   #31
nips
ninjette.org member

Tomorrow the shop will be doing a deep inspection on everything to get an exact estimate of the cost. My buddy just said he heard that the insurance company wants 3 quotes on the repairs. He's with farmers. Is this true because that would be a pain since I do have to use my dads truck and load it up. Plus I can't turn the handle bars right
Posted via Mobile Device

Old June 1st, 2011, 01:13 AM   #32
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I always park in ways and places to minimize or eliminate the chances of someone not seeing the bike, especially in public parking lots. Sorry this happened to you. It's likely to happen AGAIN if this friends keeps binging his lifted truck over unless you find a better place to put it and stick to it.

If you park close to a curb, corner, or wall you have the benefit of them at least trying to avoid that curb, corner, or wall.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 08:00 AM   #33
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Tomorrow the shop will be doing a deep inspection on everything to get an exact estimate of the cost. My buddy just said he heard that the insurance company wants 3 quotes on the repairs. He's with farmers. Is this true because that would be a pain since I do have to use my dads truck and load it up. Plus I can't turn the handle bars right
Posted via Mobile Device
Quit lugging your bike everywhere. You dont need to provide estimates yourself. Call the Farmers claim line and tell them you want to file a claim against one of their insureds. They will setup a time for an adjuster to come view the bike. He will look it over and likely total it right there. A couple of days later they will send you a check for what they believe the value of the bike is. Most likely, this check will be less than what you are expecting - somewhere in the neighborhood of $2500.

At this point, what you need to do is go on Craigslist, cycletrader, and ebay and find 3-5 comparable bikes in your area and what they sold for. These are called 'comps'. Find the average value of the comps and if they are greater than the check you received, put together a package with print outs of the comps, any receipts for work youve done to the bike or parts you've added, and a letter politely demanding more money and fax it to the adjuster. Chances are you will get an additional check for a couple hundred dollars more.

Take my word for it, I worked at Farmers for a couple of years after college.

Old June 1st, 2011, 08:10 AM   #34
CmichRider
ninjette.org member

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250

Even if you did claim through your insurance, depending on the company you are with, your premium may not go up at all. I just got done getting a policy on my bike with progressive and I made sure to ask "if I file a claim that my bike is stolen, will my premium go up?". The agent told me no, since it is effectively the same as a no-fault accident report.

I only asked the agent that because I'm going to be having my bike on campus with me come August...never know what will happen!
CmichRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 08:44 AM   #35
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmichRider View Post
Even if you did claim through your insurance, depending on the company you are with, your premium may not go up at all. I just got done getting a policy on my bike with progressive and I made sure to ask "if I file a claim that my bike is stolen, will my premium go up?". The agent told me no, since it is effectively the same as a no-fault accident report.

I only asked the agent that because I'm going to be having my bike on campus with me come August...never know what will happen!
Honestly, the agent doesnt know crap - your rates are determined by guys that are called underwriters. They are for lack of a better term, handicappers - sort of like the guys that set a pointspread for a sporting event. The agent only wants to sell you a product and will tell you anything pretty much to make you feel good. At the end of the day, the underwirters are going to review everything about you and your policy and make a decision on that. Even a no fault claim, is still a claim. While no one can say for 100% certain that a claim will make your rates go up, it certainly doesnt do any favors for you either.

In the OP's case, he should handle everything through his friend's insurance company. In this situation, there is almost no upside to getting his own insurance involved - especially since there is no question of liability - his friend is 100% at fault, no matter how you cut it.

Old June 1st, 2011, 08:53 AM   #36
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
lol... now that's when you find out who your true friends are.
I always thought that you knew who your true friends are when its moving day.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 09:02 AM   #37
CmichRider
ninjette.org member

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too40gawlf View Post
Honestly, the agent doesnt know crap - your rates are determined by guys that are called underwriters. They are for lack of a better term, handicappers - sort of like the guys that set a pointspread for a sporting event. The agent only wants to sell you a product and will tell you anything pretty much to make you feel good. At the end of the day, the underwirters are going to review everything about you and your policy and make a decision on that. Even a no fault claim, is still a claim. While no one can say for 100% certain that a claim will make your rates go up, it certainly doesnt do any favors for you either.

In the OP's case, he should handle everything through his friend's insurance company. In this situation, there is almost no upside to getting his own insurance involved - especially since there is no question of liability - his friend is 100% at fault, no matter how you cut it.
True, I was just relaying what I was told. I definitely think he should handle it with his buddy's insurance though. No point in even bringing his own into it really..
CmichRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 09:03 AM   #38
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

Make his insurance pay. And find some new friends.
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 11:09 AM   #39
nips
ninjette.org member

I'm calling his insurance company today. I don't want to get ****ed on this and have them give me 2500 bucks when I payed 3.2 for it. Even the guys at the shop were saying its worth around 3.5 to 4 just because the value shot up because so many ppl want them
Posted via Mobile Device

Old June 1st, 2011, 11:18 AM   #40
nips
ninjette.org member

O and czroe. I parked outside his house next to the curb. When u walk out of his house the first thing u see is my bright breen bike. He parked the truck about 5 feet behind my bike. When we were leaving he said I should have parked in the garage so I told him ill go move it up there right now and he said no that's fine were gonna be right back and were gonna need to take it back out anyways. So we get in his truck and obviously we both knew it was there. I lean over and am trying to grab my jacket in the back seat and he was on his phone or somthing and put it in drive and all I heard was a crunch
Posted via Mobile Device