ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 8th, 2013, 02:04 PM   #1
The_Otter
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

Where can I change my own oil?

I want to change my oil but I am not sure where to do it. I have all the parts, and oil. I cannot do it at my apartment and was wondering if anyone knew somewhere I could go to change it myself and then recycle it (hopefully in the same place). I tried calling Autozone because I know they take recycled oil, but they dont let you work in the parking lot.
The_Otter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2013, 02:24 PM   #2
caps
Sexy Beast

Name: Mat

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R, 2006 ZX-14, 2012 Ducati Monster

Um... anywhere?
caps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2013, 02:26 PM   #3
The_Otter
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

Oh gee thanks... I am aware that I can change it anywhere. What I am trying to do is go somewhere to change it where they will then take the motor oil and recycle it. I don't want to change it in the street and then have to cart my used oil off to a gas station or auto zone to recycle it.
The_Otter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2013, 02:32 PM   #4
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Otter View Post
Oh gee thanks... I am aware that I can change it anywhere. What I am trying to do is go somewhere to change it where they will then take the motor oil and recycle it. I don't want to change it in the street and then have to cart my used oil off to a gas station or auto zone to recycle it.
On the street outside your local auto zone or gas station sounds like the best place for you so
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2013, 02:32 PM   #5
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
I did that for years. Why is that a problem for you. Do it near the autozone.
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2013, 02:35 PM   #6
MR2Aaron
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250

I'd imagine it's a problem because carrying a drain pan around on a motorcycle is a pain in the neck, at best.

The best suggestion I can make is on the street near your apartment. Change it there, drain the pan into a jug or something, and then take the jug to autozone to recycle it. I'm not aware of anywhere that will sell you the oil, and then let you change it yourself on the premises.
MR2Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2013, 02:43 PM   #7
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Quote:
I'm not sure what the problem is. Put everything in a gym bag (or something similar) and change the oil on the street. Funnel the old oil into a jug or juice container (something with a screw on cap) and take it to an Autozone or whatever.
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2013, 02:45 PM   #8
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '99 EX250(Cafe/fighter project)

There are this things now called funnels and empty milk jugs that, if combined, allow the wielder the ability to place the used oil within; this amazing contraption makes it easier to transport said oil to The Autozone for proper disposal.
cerberusrex25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2013, 03:19 PM   #9
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerberusrex25 View Post
There are this things now called funnels and empty milk jugs that, if combined, allow the wielder the ability to place the used oil within; this amazing contraption makes it easier to transport said oil to The Autozone for proper disposal.
Whooooooa, wait.....what?
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2013, 03:48 PM   #10
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerberusrex25 View Post
Is there a flow chart somewhere?
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2013, 04:22 PM   #11
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
........What I am trying to do is go somewhere to change it where they will then take the motor oil and recycle it..........
Call this Pepboys and ask, they have a shop-autoparts combination:

410 Marin Blvd
Jersey City
(201) 420-6866

Your local Walmart may have the same facilities and both collect used oil, as well as your recycle-collection facility.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2013, 04:26 PM   #12
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
If you can't ind a place to change the oil yourself then just bite the bullet and take it down to our dealership and let them do it.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2013, 04:35 PM   #13
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Check your local riding forums to see if there are any helpful members. If they are doing an oil change for their own bike, they may be willing to help you out. Of course, bring some brews to show your appreciation.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 8th, 2013, 04:52 PM   #14
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
^^^^ Awesome idea! Call a friend.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2013, 08:47 PM   #15
PHL
ninjette.org member

Name: Napoleon

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Street Triple R

Living in a city with no garage, I'm used to changing my oil on the street. Just be conscientious, use packing paper or newspaper to catch any oil. Or, better yet, add a very large drip pan, as well. No one should bother you. I've done oil changes, flushed coolant and replaced thermostats, r/r'ed a slave and master cylinder, even changed out a bearing in the rear suspension. Try not to make a mess, and be prepared to clean it up, and no one will bother you as long as you are in a safe spot.

However, once you change your wheels to your winter tires the night before a storm hits because you still have your summer tires on in December, and think it's a good idea to use the level ground at the train station, that's when four cop cars roll around and surround you...
PHL is offline   Reply With Quote