ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old June 8th, 2016, 08:22 AM   #1681
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Back in my college days, my bicycle commute to school was 31 miles one-way, took me about 1:30 to 1:45 depending on weather. Rode to school, work then back home, with training rides likely 100+ miles per day.
I used 700x27c tire in the front wheel, 23c in the rear, lined the inside of the tires with dollar bills, best puncture prevention ever.. even cheaper than most tire lines on the market.
Depending on the rider weight, wider tire really make a difference in how long the wheels/spokes last over rough terrain/potholes/metal planks on the road.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2016, 10:17 AM   #1682
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Yeah, MTB experience is helpful on rough ground. Letting a bit of air out of your tires could definitely help.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2016, 11:50 AM   #1683
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
You're on the right track here. I think you're being a nervous nancy worrying about the stresses on the bike. Industry safety factors are awesome.

That said, the switch to 25mm from 23mm tires is awesome. Not like earth shattering, but definitely better. If your frame can fit 28's, do it! You should be able to easily run the 25's ~10psi lower than the 23's without concern. Play with tire pressures a bit. You want to run them as low as you can without bottoming out the rim on the obstacles and pinch flatting. More volume in the tire means you can go lower on pressure.

For reference, I'm 130 lbs and ride "light" over obstacles from MTB experience. I ran 23mm tires at 95 Front/105 Rear and I currently run 25mm tires on wide rims at 80-85 front/95 Rear. The ride is awesome.
I would have to look and see what size could be run, where could one find that info. I run 105F/115R (down from 115/125) on 23s. But I am 190 lbs as well and lets me honest - I don't think I ride very "light" lol.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2016, 12:19 PM   #1684
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
lined the inside of the tires with dollar bills, best puncture prevention ever.. even cheaper than most tire lines on the market.
plus if you break your wheel, you've got cab fair home!

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old June 8th, 2016, 03:06 PM   #1685
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
$52 isn't going to get you very far!
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2016, 03:58 PM   #1686
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
bus fare then?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 8th, 2016, 07:53 PM   #1687
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Just back from a ride and it was one of those times no matter the direction I headed: a headwind!

Which reminds me: Pro tip for anyone touring cross country at least up near the 49th Parallel; never ride East to West!
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over

Old June 8th, 2016, 09:24 PM   #1688
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWn60 View Post
never ride East to West!
god, tell me about it! the closer to the ocean the worse it is too! i'm like twice as fast going east as i am going west

Old June 8th, 2016, 09:51 PM   #1689
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

MOTM - Nov '15
I did a 3500 km trip west to Prince Rupert. Thought I was going to lose my mind: a steady 20+ km headwind almost every peddle of the way! It's ridiculous how it can eat at your mind! Lol! I love riding but I swear I'll NEVER do a route I know where the prevailing winds will be headwinds!

Old June 9th, 2016, 05:28 AM   #1690
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I finally installed some black lock-on grips that I've had forever. Not bad looking! Matches a little better than the lime green lock-on grips I had before.

Also got my fork rebuilt. Thanks again, rojo, this thing is awesome. Hoping to hit the trails today or tomorrow if it will freaking dry out here...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6560.jpg (142.9 KB, 4 views)
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2016, 06:07 AM   #1691
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

MOTM - Nov '15
Lol! Mountain biking was born in the Wet coast! A little rain won't melt you!

Old June 9th, 2016, 06:39 AM   #1692
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Lol! Mountain biking was born in the Wet coast! A little rain won't melt you!
Not me I'm worried about, yo. The trails around here don't take well to wet riding and get damaged. I volunteer my time repairing trails with the local IMBA chapter. Not about to be the one who rides wet trail.

It's not like the pacific north west where it's always raining and the only options are wet trail or no riding.

Old June 9th, 2016, 06:41 AM   #1693
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

MOTM - Nov '15
Understood & agree!

Old June 9th, 2016, 06:58 AM   #1694
"A"
vampire

Quote:
Cab? there was no cab where I went to school.. change the flat or ride on the flat 'til I can get it changed.
Wheels are usually plenty tough (built myself, Campy 7-speed hubs, 36-3 cross, DT SS straight 14 gauge spokes w/Wilber GTS2 SS eyelet rims) for any rider to ride with a flat tire and riding on a flat tire was just extra training resistance.

Quote:
Just back from a ride and it was one of those times no matter the direction I headed: a headwind!

Which reminds me: Pro tip for anyone touring cross country at least up near the 49th Parallel; never ride East to West!
"Universal headwind" is just cycling gods smiling upon your good physique.

Pedaled and my way coast to coast twice, motorized 7 times, always WEST to EAST. Next crossing maybe in a recumbent.

Old June 9th, 2016, 11:44 AM   #1695
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
hey are you mike hall?

Old June 9th, 2016, 08:13 PM   #1696
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
3rd day in on my commuting by bike and i'm bonked as ****. i've been pushing hard each ride but i'm beyond tired. i don't think i've ever been so completely exhausted. putting out high power feels easier than putting out low power. but can't do the high power for more than short spurts or the quads catch fire. body just doesn't want to cooperate anymore. the rides are getting faster though, and i average about 22mph now when i'm not stuck at a stupid stop light. i don't think i've ever hated stoplights more. getting better at timing stop lights but sometimes they catch ya last minute. what a waste of energy! sprinting away from the stoplight feels good though. i think i might need to start eating more donuts and waffles.

p.s. bus drivers are cool in my book.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old June 9th, 2016, 08:22 PM   #1697
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
3rd day in on my commuting by bike and i'm bonked as ****. i've been pushing hard each ride but i'm beyond tired. i don't think i've ever been so completely exhausted. putting out high power feels easier than putting out low power. but can't do the high power for more than short spurts or the quads catch fire. body just doesn't want to cooperate anymore. the rides are getting faster though, and i average about 22mph now when i'm not stuck at a stupid stop light. i don't think i've ever hated stoplights more. getting better at timing stop lights but sometimes they catch ya last minute. what a waste of energy! sprinting away from the stoplight feels good though. i think i might need to start eating more donuts and waffles.

rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2016, 09:35 PM   #1698
CaliGrrl

Commuting by bicycle tends to be lower speeds than when out for fun or for a workout. And yes, you need to feed your body since you're burning extra calories.

Old June 10th, 2016, 05:10 AM   #1699
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

MOTM - Nov '15
Vancouver, 5 am. Typical spring morning: a light shower threatening to turn to sun/cloud skies! Just me & the seagulls out today! EDIT: Hell if I know how to rotate it! The picture is upright on my camera and it's an attachment! No way I see to edit & rotate!
image.jpg

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old June 10th, 2016, 08:08 AM   #1700
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Quote:

LOL - may be time to look at a quickly digestible source of fuel to add in immediately after each trip - And sleep, lots of sleep lol
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2016, 03:25 PM   #1701
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Get friendly with sleeves of Fig Newtons, power bars, protein shakes, etc etc.

And seriously though, slower speeds for commuting will keep you sane!! There is something to be said for turning commutes into workouts though. Maybe alternate fast days and slow days.

Old June 10th, 2016, 03:32 PM   #1702
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

MOTM - Nov '15
But watch the sugar intake! It will rip your guts out!
Riders on the tour have pasta within 30 minutes of the end of the ride

Old June 10th, 2016, 03:37 PM   #1703
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Sugar intake has never bothered me...?

Yeah, mix of carbs and protein within half hour is a good idea. Based on where you work, alex, you'll get/already know more info on that than I can give you. I just eat real food and plan a meal after my rides. Meh. Not big on the whole "specific diet" thing. I just eat food and burn calories.

Old June 10th, 2016, 06:49 PM   #1704
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Sugar intake has never bothered me...?

Yeah, mix of carbs and protein within half hour is a good idea. Based on where you work, alex, you'll get/already know more info on that than I can give you. I just eat real food and plan a meal after my rides. Meh. Not big on the whole "specific diet" thing. I just eat food and burn calories.
everything i've learned about sports nutrition can be summed up in a few points:
* start training rides on an empty stomach
* consume carbs water and electrolytes while you exercise
* eat a ton of beef or chicken and some carbs immediately after.

Old June 10th, 2016, 06:56 PM   #1705
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

MOTM - Nov '15
Except you skipped the training part and went straight into the grand tour!

Old June 11th, 2016, 04:16 AM   #1706
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Yeah, I don't care what you tell me about metabolism, I absolutely can't do training rides on an empty stomach. I eat beforehand because I hate feeling like I got run over by a train when I ride with an empty stomach.

I've read mixed reviews on the idea of training on an empty stomach to stimulate the metabolism, it's not a new idea. I can't do it. I'm skinny.

Old June 11th, 2016, 05:03 AM   #1707
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

MOTM - Nov '15
5 am; time to crank the pedals!

I claim no expertise. My references and guide is based on the writings of Joe Friel:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Friel

My own experiences from rugby, rowing & cycling (Edit: Hockey! How could I forget 20 years of Hockey! Lol!) are consistently bonking much faster if I start on an empty stomach. I don't mean a big meal to "load up". Just something for the body to draw on initially. If I read Alex correctly; he's bonking while trying to do a twice daily, 30 mile ride. Bonking does nothing except drain you of energy and on his schedule; there's no recovery period! It may increase his metabolism at that moment but he will be "training" exhausted which will be counter productive in the long run. I assume he can't sleep at work!

My oatmeal is ready! Then I'm off on my recovery ride!

Last futzed with by SLOWn60; June 11th, 2016 at 05:10 AM. Reason: Too many hits to the head!

Old June 11th, 2016, 08:04 AM   #1708
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
^^^^ Werd. Same with me and bicycling and soccer. Just a small breakfast helps a ton. And snacks while riding.

I've been back into MTB riding. Gosh I love MTB!!!!!

Old June 12th, 2016, 05:01 PM   #1709
"A"
vampire

Cool New (used) tri-bike for me.

Picked up this one for under $1K (sans pedals, with 700c wheels); it makes my road bike feel slow:

Last futzed with by "A"; June 12th, 2016 at 06:11 PM.

Old June 12th, 2016, 05:55 PM   #1710
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
^ Isn't that a $4k bike?!?!

Old June 12th, 2016, 05:56 PM   #1711
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Not sure what caused her to fall over. Moving too fast for a 0mph clipless pedal tilt over.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old June 12th, 2016, 06:22 PM   #1712
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
Picked up this one for under $1K (sans pedals, with 700c wheels); it makes my road bike feel slow:

OOOOO!!!!
Unobtanium titanium!!! That is a beautiful machine!!!! Congrats!!!

Old June 12th, 2016, 06:42 PM   #1713
"A"
vampire

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
^ Isn't that a $4k bike?!?!
Maybe when it first came out years ago.

I'm a sucker for low maintenance equipment; titanium frame never rust, no need for pant, no worries of scratches. Ride it in the rain, put it away wet and rides just the same the next day.

My road bike was purchased back in 2004, wore through 3 component groups, 2 sets of wheels, 6 chains, least dozen sets of tires... still the same awesome frame after 12+ years of riding.

Old June 12th, 2016, 07:41 PM   #1714
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Dude. Besides looking dated and not being carbon, those Litespeed's are badass. Congrats on the find!

I think Titanium is neat, but it really missed the curve with carbon coming out so readily and so well. At this point, it's more of a niche thing for bicycles than a really valid building material. They are gorgeous. Never ridden one.

Old June 12th, 2016, 08:15 PM   #1715
CaliGrrl

Nice-looking bike!

Old June 13th, 2016, 04:23 AM   #1716
"A"
vampire

Cool

Truth is titanium are more difficult to work with, vs carbon, steel or aluminum.

Machining titanium require much tougher tooling (more frequent tool renewal), welding titanium require crucial (& expensive) gas mixture, but the end product's properties are durable, lightweight and provide excellent ride quality similar to steel frame.

The cost of working with titanium is a huge profit loss for frame manufacturers. especially in small numbers with custom tubing/machining/sizing. If you noticed that every single tube on my bikes are not shaped throughout from one end to another.

With the benefit of never rusting, no need for paint, no worries of fatigue failure (as aluminum or carbon). Hence its usage for most demanding man-made vehicles: SR-71 Blackbird & Space Shuttles where costs were not much of a consideration.

Old June 13th, 2016, 07:13 AM   #1717
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Fatigue in carbon? This is the first I've heard about fatigue with carbon, even with talking to engineers who design bicycles with the stuff. Not trying to be elitist here, just curious where you're getting that from.

All metals (that I'm aware of) can fail from fatigue due to cyclic loading. With steel, it's easy to avoid. Aluminum is impossible to avoid but you can make the number of cycles so high that it will never likely be reached. I know little about titanium other than the difficulties of machining.

Old June 13th, 2016, 07:28 AM   #1718
"A"
vampire

I've have had my TREK 2300 carbon/steel frame break during my commute, warrantied and replaced with a TREK OCLV frame that had lug came unglued 16 months later.

Kestrel had better durability, my current Kestrel is over 12 yrs old; but once I have had a carbon frame failed on me, I never quite trust it the same way as I would for frame materials. That's just my personal experience, while working at a bike shop on/off for two decades, I've seen more (customer's) carbon frame fail than tire/tubes explode while inflating.

Carbon frame failure

Old June 13th, 2016, 07:49 AM   #1719
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Fair enough reason to be shy of carbon. but!!!

Carbon doesn't fatigue. Where carbon is a little flawed is in how it fails. Look at steel: it has a yield strength and an ultimate strength. The yield strength is where it begins to permanently deform, and the ultimate strength is where it breaks. As I understand it, carbon doesn't have a deformation stage, or if it does, this range of force is very very small. Basically, there's only an ultimate strength. So if your carbon part sees any force that's ever so slightly larger than what it's designed for, boom. Any (and I mean any) imperfection in the part, as well as any external chipping/damage really make this even worse. Personally, because I crash so much, I'd still rock aluminum for MTB, but would have no second thoughts on carbon for a roadie.

Remember that the trek 2300 is old. It's one of the OG carbon frames released to the public. Like that's old the point where it's no longer valid, even anecdotally (which, I might add, all your evidence is) as a reference for why you shouldn't trust carbon. The 2300 was sold in the early 90's. There's been 20 years of Doctoral thesis work at the university level, aerospace R&D, automotive R&D (including F1, and they don't half-ass anything), and bicycle R&D on how to make/design better carbon structures.

For reference, this is the Trek 2300 that you're referencing, right? This thing is OG coolness, but it's kinda sketchy:

Also, I did a quick search, Titanium DOES have a fatigue cycle limit, but it's very similar to steel in that if you design small enough forces on that part, it is possible to make a part with an infinite life cycle.

Old June 13th, 2016, 08:19 AM   #1720
"A"
vampire

Cool

Let's just say that I ride and abuse my bicycles more than most people. I trust titanium frames over all others from personal experience.
I'm not saying that titanium do not have a fatigue life.
I'm not saying that titanium frames never fail.
I'm only saying that I trust titanium over others for frame material for my usage.
I will keep riding my Kestrel, with more care than my normally would...until one day it cracks, too.. likely before any of my titanium frames fail.