ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 6th, 2013, 09:18 AM   #1
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

Splitting in sf = Russian roulette

Yesterday was the first time riding a motorcycle through San Francisco during rush hour traffic. Wow. There weren't close calls. The whole experience was a close call, including some contact

It's a whole new ball game because the driving behavior is 110% aggressive. If there is a space someone is going for it, drag race starts at every light, and no the even the moving vans and Prius cars are all about pin it to win it.

+ a million for the compact size of the ninjette

I've heard everyone say motards are perfect for sf. I'm not so sure. I shoved that ninja into some really tight spaces. Dirt bikes have wide bars and really splitting around buses and tight places is the name of the game. The ninjette was perfect for tearing through town.

I must say it was quite the experience. It almost seems inevitable that sooner than later a motorcyclist is going to get taken out. So be careful out there.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2013, 09:26 AM   #2
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

I imagine any big city splitting would be russian roulette. Gotta be pretty alert to do it in NYC
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2013, 09:47 AM   #3
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleCam303 View Post
Yesterday was the first time riding a motorcycle through San Francisco during rush hour traffic. Wow. There weren't close calls. The whole experience was a close call, including some contact

It's a whole new ball game because the driving behavior is 110% aggressive. If there is a space someone is going for it, drag race starts at every light, and no the even the moving vans and Prius cars are all about pin it to win it.

+ a million for the compact size of the ninjette

I've heard everyone say motards are perfect for sf. I'm not so sure. I shoved that ninja into some really tight spaces. Dirt bikes have wide bars and really splitting around buses and tight places is the name of the game. The ninjette was perfect for tearing through town.

I must say it was quite the experience. It almost seems inevitable that sooner than later a motorcyclist is going to get taken out. So be careful out there.
i use 7" bars instead of standard 11" bars. (minus switch controls) because it makes the bike skinnier.

also, you probably should not hit cars. just sayin'.

as far as 'sooner than later a motorcyclist is going to get taken out'.... i donno. if you are experienced with super heavy traffic (downtown LA and irvine is pretty bad too... downtown san diego is weird and different and horrible in its own ways but still kinda ******) i think 99% of issues can be dealt with ahead of time. the hard things i've never been able to deal with is cars hitting other cars. you can get out of the way but if you are still close by you still get hit by pieces coming off the ****ing cars. **** sucks. last time it happened i got pegged by the guy's brake light housing flying off.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 6th, 2013, 09:50 AM   #4
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

I'd venture to say that if you are splitting and hitting cars you're doing it wrong.

That being said, I have had the end of my boot run over trying to squeeze into too tight a spot.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2013, 10:14 AM   #5
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

Alex I forget about LA traffic. Most likely the same thing. I agree 100% on the accident prevention attitude. What was shocking was how many people don't give a f*%k about who they squeeze and the number of cars that purposely block you mid split. Outside of the city everything is fine.

I read a lot of threads about getting bumped or tipping over after a quick maneuver in San Fran on our local forum. I always scoffed because I've ridden in the city a lot but never during normal traffic hours on a weekday and it wasn't bad.

After yesterday I can't knock the commuters for dropping a bike when the cab guy cuts you off and parks right in front of you. Or the bicyclist crashes into you. Holy crap the bicyclists and pedestrians are bad. They just throw themselves out there too lol.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2013, 10:17 AM   #6
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
bicyclists are easily the hardest vehicle to deal with. 100% unpredictable. 50% are drunk. most dont wear any gear and are willing to jump right in front of you. i have almost crashed many times trying to avoid some ****ing idiot on a bike who thinks they have the right to jump across 3 lanes of traffic without looking then get mad when you kick their ****ing ****** bike out of the way. MAYBE YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE PUT YOUR STUPID BIKE IN FRONT OF A BUNCH OF CARS AND BIKES IDIOT!

if a bicyclist isn't wearing sponsor gear, i assume they are about to jump out in front of me at all times.

Old September 6th, 2013, 12:01 PM   #7
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
1) why sponsor gear?

2) you know there's a bunch of bikes out there that cost more than your ninjette right?? Haha idk if ****** is the correct adjective to automatically yell.

But yes, cyclists can be dumb f***s but if they're on the road, they're still something to watch carefully. Those guys are the same dumb f***s no matter what vehicle they drive.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2013, 12:06 PM   #8
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
1) why sponsor gear?

2) you know there's a bunch of bikes out there that cost more than your ninjette right?? Haha idk if ****** is the correct adjective to automatically yell.

But yes, cyclists can be dumb f***s but if they're on the road, they're still something to watch carefully. Those guys are the same dumb f***s no matter what vehicle they drive.
there are two kinds of cyclists from my perspective. those that know what they are doing (typically in good gear, with sponsors showing, respectful, have been hit by stupid cars and don't want to be hit again) and then there are those who don't know what they are doing. if you have a bike that costs more than my motorcycle, chances are you're not a drunken idiot darting in front of traffic.

Old September 6th, 2013, 06:58 PM   #9
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I don't have sponsors but I have nice gear
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2013, 08:25 PM   #10
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

Lane-splitting can be pretty dicy at times. I'll do it if traffic is stopped or in stop and go mode. I'll avoid it as long as there is some reasonable flow. I ride a lot on the 580 and 680 freeways and most drivers will give you space between the #! and #2 lanes to pass but a few drivers will block your progress. You have to be prepared to stop suddenly. Some of the splitting riders are on a constant kamakaze run through traffic , sometimes with a 30-40 mph speed differential with the cars they are passing. If I'm splitting, I constantly have to check behind me so that I don't get rammed by another splitter. Not surprisingly we get lots of serious and fatal collisions involving motorcyclists.
greenaero is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.