ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 3rd, 2011, 10:24 AM   #41
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
the frame is not stiff enough for it to handle like a super sport. get a different frame, get a different set of forks, get different wheels and brakes, get a different rear shock. you now have a super sport rolling chassis with a 250 engine in it. it will likely also cost more than just buying a super sport.

Are you a vehicle engineer? It sounds like you're saying the EX-250 frame is too weak and flexible to handle some quality suspension components. How do you know this? I beg to differ on this subject.....

Because, unlike you, I've actually upgraded both the front and back suspension and I can tell you the frame is up to anything you can do to the bike's suspension (as far as oil, springs, emulators, and rear shock are concerned).

But don't believe me.... Ask the guys who race them.

In fact, my impression during my first ride after upgrading my suspension (I did the front, rear, and new tires all at once) was that for the first time since I bought it the bike felt like it "had a solid backbone" that "both ends were firmly tied together"

It feels solid and responsive.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2011, 10:30 AM   #42
greg737
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
i don't think i agree that the stock forks feel mushy unless you're being abrupt with them. maybe if you compare them to a supersport... but the EX line of bikes aren't supersports. they sports. its like comparing a gto to a lotus exige. clearly the exige (or porche, or whatever) is clearly going to handle better because its twice the cost and designed for performance only. not comfort at all.
maybe use your body more. don't put any weight on the bars outside of steering inputs. i believe the front is supposed to be able to handle more lean angle than the rear so you can still have counter-steering inputs when at full lean angle maybe?

This post proves that any forum thread concerning what to do about the EX-250's substandard original suspension equipment will get "thread-jacked."

If only the guys who get a kick out of riding vauge, floppy suspension setups would create their own threads.

In my version of a perfect world I could log on to ninjette.org and see another thread titled something like, "I can ride crappy suspension faster than you can" or "crappy suspension riding techniques" and I'd never have to click on it.

Old July 3rd, 2011, 11:17 AM   #43
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg737 View Post
Are you a vehicle engineer? It sounds like you're saying the EX-250 frame is too weak and flexible to handle some quality suspension components. How do you know this? I beg to differ on this subject.....

Because, unlike you, I've actually upgraded both the front and back suspension and I can tell you the frame is up to anything you can do to the bike's suspension (as far as oil, springs, emulators, and rear shock are concerned).

But don't believe me.... Ask the guys who race them.

In fact, my impression during my first ride after upgrading my suspension (I did the front, rear, and new tires all at once) was that for the first time since I bought it the bike felt like it "had a solid backbone" that "both ends were firmly tied together"

It feels solid and responsive.

i have modified and upgraded my ninjas suspension. thats not what im talking about. what im talking about is the frame itsself. of course just about any frame can be made to take a set of ohlins. that doesnt mean you're making it a supersport. might i suggest next time you have time yoou take off all your body work and setup cameras mounted looking at the frame and try doing hard steering inputs? its not something you see just by looking at it but with mounted cameras you will see. frames flex. they flex a lot. and in certain areas they are designed to flex. i never said upgrading your suspension components was a bad idea. i love the changes i made to my suspension. but upgraded shocks doesnt make it a supersport and it wont make it handle like one either.
im sorry you feel the need to try to talk down to others but i actually have built motorcycle frames. im on the start of my 3rd frame now which will be a fullsize street. im not saying im good at it in any way or in any way close to a vehicle engineer, but im learning a lot because of it. hopefully soon ill be able to make something that comes close to the quality of a production bike. regardless...

the point i was trying to make was that a) suspension alone doesnt make a supersport. and b) spending so much money making a street bike to the point of a supersport by swapping out every component seems wrong to me now when you can buy a used supersport for almost the same price you end up paying and youll get so much more for your money with it.

Old July 3rd, 2011, 02:46 PM   #44
greg737
-

Okay, I think I've figured it out. I went back through every post in this thread and found that on post #35 WOTurtle said.....

Quote:
well i'd kinda like my ninjer to handle more like a supersport,
Just one sentence with one mention of the word supersport in conjunction with "kinda" wanting "more"....

Then you "grabbed the ball" and ran with it. It appears that based on this one sentence, you've decided that everyone in this thread believes that the EX-250 can be made into a supersport and that it's your mission to inform them otherwise.

It may help you gain some perspective if you know that besides the one mention of the word "supersport" by WOTurtle, you're the only person in this thread using the term (with the exception of my explainations here in this post).

Old July 3rd, 2011, 03:26 PM   #45
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

Both of you stop threadjacking and bickering.

A: I don't want it to handle like a supersport, just not squirrely.

B: Greg, it is an 09. Also if you read the owners manual it is Kayaba ss-8 fluid so it is clearly stated. Kayaba is KYB in the US. I called them. It is 10 weight oil.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2011, 11:42 PM   #46
ratlab
ratlab

Name: reese

Motorcycle(s): gsxr1000,R3x2,RC390,FZ07,XR100

165lbs-racetech recommended 7.0 for their kit-oil, springs and emulators-i put 2and 1/2 turns on emulator -it is very firm -i might back emulator down 1/2 turn to soften it up
ratlab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2011, 02:54 PM   #47
Trainsk8
ninjette.org member

Name: Brady

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

looks like someone needs to checkout Keith Codes: Twist of the Wrist DVD ;D
Trainsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2011, 03:01 PM   #48
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Who does and how does that decide which front end will work best?

Old July 4th, 2011, 05:34 PM   #49
oroboros
GDTRFB

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 - sold 2005 EX500R project

This is fun

And in fact somewhat informative
Posted via Mobile Device
oroboros is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2011, 06:04 PM   #50
ratlab
ratlab

it's a good read and he has a good school-keith code,but yeah it won't tell you what front to use-but you can use it to break down your riding skills using his methods,which you can then use to figure out what you want want to do-probably a good idea for everybody to read it or watch dvd- i reread it all the time-i use racetech because it seems to work really well for forks that are old style non-cartridge-i've done racetech fronts on 5 bikes and have never had a problem

Old July 4th, 2011, 08:02 PM   #51
oroboros
GDTRFB

I own the book & DVD. Worth every penny. Its time to work to on my suspension. Next bike will be a motard.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old July 4th, 2011, 08:16 PM   #52
oroboros
GDTRFB

Not that it means anything... Other than I have been drinking and I want to build a motard. Spoken
Posted via Mobile Device

Old July 4th, 2011, 10:19 PM   #53
ratlab
ratlab

motards rock,but you end up getting in to much trouble-brings out the hooligan in ya

Old July 5th, 2011, 01:49 AM   #54
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Drew, maybe I could borrow your dvd to reinforce the fact that my Ninja needs a new front end? Pretty please?

Old July 5th, 2011, 05:19 AM   #55
oroboros
GDTRFB

Ratlab, I suspect your right.I should probably be smart and stay out of trouble.

CB, of course. Happy to mail it to you.
Posted via Mobile Device