ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old April 26th, 2015, 02:58 AM   #1
Sonofswin
Old Guy, New Bike

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Blue Ninja 250R, Yamaha SRV250

Nagasaki Route 58

Warning: This is about Nagasaki Japan. So the place names will be weird, but the roads will be narrow, windy and well paved. Continue if interested in riding in the orient.

I had to go out to the Hyakadai park on the Shimabara Peninsula on a work related trip the other day and wanted to find a little traveled twisty to make the trip worthwhile.

Google maps was showing route 58 as wider than the "Wide Farm Road", which I knew wasn't the case. I had been on it about 10 years ago in my Jimny (Japanese version of the Suzuki Samurai) and remember it being tight and not worth the effort when looking for a road to 4X on. On a bike, however I was wondering...

So I gave it a shot. A couple things about country roads here:
  1. They are generally well paved
  2. Fallen leaves and sticks can be a problem if they aren't well traveled
  3. Blind turns generally have mirrors so you can see if anyone is coming the other way (which don't usually work if the cars don't turn their lights on even in the daytime - I always turn on my brights)

Well, it turns out that the road was in good enough shape and had very little traffic so I could ride hard. The combinations of straights and really sharp turns made for an excellent chance to practice "emergency" braking then slow-in-fast-out on the turns. Since I basically didn't know the road, I approached most turns like they were hairpin until I could see the out. You never know when you are going to get a farmer coming down the middle of the road anyway, so I was trying to keep to my side of the mostly one-lane track.

Anyway, it was a beautiful ride through the forests both coming and going. Being such a country road I knew there was almost zero chance of meeting the PO-lice so I could really open it up on the straight stretches and fly.

If anybody is out here in Nagasaki looking for a place to ride, there are some fantastic roads on the Shimabara Peninsula. I'll try to write some reviews of some others when I get the chance.

Here's a link to the Google Map.

Last futzed with by Sonofswin; April 26th, 2015 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Resized Image
Sonofswin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2015, 07:32 AM   #2
verboten1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
That looks and sounds like A great route!

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2015, 12:07 AM   #3
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Cool! Thanks for the report, looks like a lot of fun.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote