ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 16th, 2012, 10:35 AM   #1
fredhsu
ninjette.org member

Name: Fred

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2012

Wheel locking!

I know they sell locks as lock reminders for locking up the discs. I was wondering how everyone else does it? Do you buy it or do you use something you already have. Thanks!

Old May 16th, 2012, 10:44 AM   #2
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

There are disc brake locks you can buy. Some have alarms. Although one brand is particularly prone to being bent outwards by thieves. IIRC it's OnGuard.

I'd recommend a Xena lock with alarm. But be aware that the best security comes from a disc lock in combination with a heavy duty chain through the frame attached to a grounded object.

Old May 16th, 2012, 10:52 AM   #3
toua70
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toua

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 and Gsx-R 750 k8 (out of commission)

I'm not a fan of wheel locks. Why not just get an alarm for 100 or so. Have you seen the spy 5000m alarm off eBay? My coworker has it and its neat! Might get one too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hup3S...e_gdata_player
toua70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2012, 10:53 AM   #4
str8t six
never enough

Name: josh

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 ninja 250R

i bought a cable, but realised that would be too easy to cut, so i bought a xena disc brake lock without the alarm. ive read that the ones with alarms would go off for no reason.

custom graphics, zero gravity DB
str8t six is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2012, 02:54 PM   #5
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I've heard the older models audible Xena alarms were quite sensitive and would go off all the time. The newer ones don't seem to have this problem as much. It takes a bit of a jolt to the wheel or handlebars to set mine off. A person admiring your bike and deciding to take an uninvited seat on it while playing with the bars would be enough to set it off. This is a big reason for why I bought it. That 120 db alarm can hurt your ears if you're that close not to mention the attention that it attracts.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2012, 03:18 PM   #6
fredhsu
ninjette.org member

Name: Fred

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2012

Thanks for all the info guys!! and i live in a pretty decent area so im not that worried about it but i would like to get it just to be safe.

Old May 16th, 2012, 07:18 PM   #7
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

I have an alarmed xena and have had no issue. According to the guy at the shop, you can control the sensitivity by where you mount it.

The top of the disc is the most sensitive. The bottom is the least. I have found this true. At the top, the alarm starts the second I touch the alarm with the key. At the bottom, it takes a bit more of a jolt. Just figure out what you need. I tend to put it right in the middle, haven't had any issues yet...

I bought a bright orange leash with it. They sold them at the same store I got the disc lock from, for like 1.99. I wrap it through the disc lock up and around the right side handle. This helps, as every time I mount the bike I grab the front brake out of habit. I see the leash and am reminded to remove it.

I don't park in shady areas with it, just parking lots and garages... I sandwich the bike between my car and the back of my garage at night, so it's not going anywhere.

Ultimately, anything but a chain is just a deterrent. A determined thief will get your bike... Good thing for us, thieves aren't as concerned with stealing a difficult to steal beginner bike. It's either easy, or they move on. Different story if your riding a 15k Ducati.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2012, 08:12 PM   #8
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Black 2013 Ninja ZX6R ABS

I just use a high grade bicycle cable lock (to a curb). It's not much but it saved my ninja once I think. I came home to find a ton of cut marks in the cable.

I also have another U lock with alarm, but I'm too lazy to use that these days
NathanUc is offline   Reply With Quote