ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 29th, 2016, 08:29 PM   #1
am777
ninjette.org newbie

Name: am777

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

One Way Clutch Gear / Starter Drive Problem

Hi guys,

I'm having a rather frustrating issue that I could really use someone's expertise with.

About a month ago, I went to start my bike as usual except I heard a loud and very unsettling clanking sound (like two gears violently banging against each other). Then it locked up on me and the bike wouldn't start so I took it to a reputable local shop and they had it repaired... wasn't cheap either I paid around $800 including parts & labor. They had replaced the one way clutch, oneway clutch gear and idle spur gear, all of which were destroyed upon trying to start the bike, removed all the teeth from inside the casing and gave it an oil change. I picked it up a few days ago, drove it home carefully and parked it in my garage as per usual. This morning I went to start the bike for the first time since riding it home and was horrified to find the same problem...

I'm going to call the shop on Tuesday when they open but until then I was hoping someone could help point me in the right direction or at least give me a bit of clarity to the situation. Has this happened to anyone before? Bike is an '08 Ninja 250R.. garage kept and well loved.

Thank you in advance.
am777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2016, 10:03 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by am777 View Post
........This morning I went to start the bike for the first time since riding it home and was horrified to find the same problem...
Welcome, am777 !!!

It could be an incomplete repair, like some worn part that was not replaced.

We have had some cases like yours here:
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=138482

I would take it back to the shop.
If they registered the mileage prior to do the repair, they will be able to see that the bike has not been started up many times since the repair.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2016, 09:05 AM   #3
am777
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks for the info Motofool. The shop said they cleared the casing of debris when i picked it up.. maybe they missed something? I'm having a hard time believing that something inside got caught up between the starter gear. I'm more interested in the backfire issue that mgentz mentioned, how does something like that start happening to a well maintained bike out of the blue?

Old October 30th, 2016, 02:23 PM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by am777 View Post
........ I'm having a hard time believing that something inside got caught up between the starter gear.......
You are welcome

It could also be caused by worn journals of the intermediate gear.
That wear increases the distance between centers of rotation of the meshing gears.

In that case, right after the engine fails to start up, pushing the starting bottom before all the gears get to a complete stop could make the teeth "walk over" chew each other.

That wear is what I assume the shop failed to examine.

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2016, 08:29 PM   #5
am777
ninjette.org newbie

Pardon my newbness, but the intermediate gear is attached to the crank? That could be a possibility given that they were focused on replacing all the nearby gears and maybe looked over it. I think I'll mention that when I speak with them Tuesday.

I had another (less likely) theory that my starter's polarity was somehow reversed and that it was spinning the opposite way so i pulled it and checked the orientation of the center part with the magnet to make sure they were facing the correct way but it seemed fine to me. There is a gas leak/drip from the carb that's leaking onto the starter motor. It seems to be coming from the right air/fuel mixture screw and not the bleeder screw...