ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

View Poll Results: How difficult was it installing your clip-ons and why?
1 3 21.43%
2 1 7.14%
3 2 14.29%
4 3 21.43%
5 2 14.29%
6 1 7.14%
7 0 0%
8 0 0%
9 0 0%
10 2 14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 7th, 2009, 01:54 AM   #1
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Name: Howard

Motorcycle(s): '09 Candy Thunder Blue Ninja 250R

Difficulty factor installing clip-ons?

I am thinking about purchasing clip-ons but am iffy on the difficulty of installing them.

I have seen all of the DIYs on this forum and seem pretty easy but, I have been misled once. I thought installing an exhaust was easy until I discovered how stubborn/cheap the plastics are!

So my question is, how much/less difficult are clip-ons to install?

I wish there was a difficulty factor for all of the DIYs on a scale of 1-10. 1 being the easiest and 10 the hardest rated based on: time consumption, number of tools needed, number of parts needed to be taken off of the bike, and maybe risk of mistakes? lol something like that

Therefore if I were to rate installing an exhaust a 5, and removing the windshield and replacing turn signals a 2, what would you rate the difficulty on clip-ons? Because from kkims DIY on clip-ons I want to know how impossible it would be to take off the bar-ends without a torch and grips with out a super-duper long screwdriver.
00v_Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2009, 03:29 AM   #2
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

I might be wrong because I've never done it,
but if you rate the exhaust a 5 you're probably looking at about an 7-8 rating on installing clip-ons. That's gonna take a lot of patience probably.. lots of stuff to adjust and you gotta make sure it's right or your controls will be screwy.

Even though I'm a 6'6" tall person (could use the added room) and very technical, I've decided to pass on clip-ons for the forseeable future.
Maybe next year if I get bored and need new mods to do.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2009, 05:15 AM   #3
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

I voted 10, only because you rated the exhaust a 5.
rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2009, 01:31 PM   #4
RRTRIDER
ninjette.org member

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

they were easy to install. just takes a lot of time. took me 4 hours for the initial install and a few more hours to adjust them to the position i like after a few rides. just follow Kkim's DIY and it will be easy. i stripped a bolt so i can't adjust them anymore tho. =/
RRTRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2009, 02:30 PM   #5
tiburonsita
ninjette.org member

Name: m

Motorcycle(s): 2009 black Ninja 250R

I would call 30 minutes easy. 4 hours of install doesn't seem very easy to me. Even with the helpful DIY, I personally have passed on a self-install. Will be an hour of paid labor and no frustration for me.

As for the bar ends: they apparently come with the red lock glue. (forgot the exact name). So it can be really had to remove but it's all muscle power. if you strip the screw then it just gets more cumbersome but still not difficult.
tiburonsita is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2009, 03:41 PM   #6
g21-30
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiburonsita View Post
As for the bar ends: they apparently come with the red lock glue. (forgot the exact name). So it can be really had to remove but it's all muscle power. if you strip the screw then it just gets more cumbersome but still not difficult.
It's called Loctite and it's color is Red. It is an Anaerobic Adhesive. By definition, anaerobic adhesives remain liquid until isolated from oxygen in the presence of metal ions, such as iron or copper. In other words, once the bolt is tightened, oxygen is cut off and the liquid hardens, which seals the threads and makes the bonding very very permanent, in the case of Red Loctite. There is really only ONE WAY to remove a bolt, which has Red Loctite on it and that is to HEAT it. The heat breaks the bond and then the same force, i.e. torque that was applied to tighten the bolt, will loosen the bolt.

If you decide to use brute strength on a properly Red Loctite bonded bolt/screw, you will most likely break the bolt or ream the screw slot. It really is much easier to apply heat via a MAPP or Propane torch for roughly one minute and then remove the bolt/screw.
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2009, 04:38 PM   #7
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21-30 View Post
It's called Loctite and it's color is Red. It is an Anaerobic Adhesive. By definition, anaerobic adhesives remain liquid until isolated from oxygen in the presence of metal ions, such as iron or copper. In other words, once the bolt is tightened, oxygen is cut off and the liquid hardens, which seals the threads and makes the bonding very very permanent, in the case of Red Loctite. There is really only ONE WAY to remove a bolt, which has Red Loctite on it and that is to HEAT it. The heat breaks the bond and then the same force, i.e. torque that was applied to tighten the bolt, will loosen the bolt.

If you decide to use brute strength on a properly Red Loctite bonded bolt/screw, you will most likely break the bolt or ream the screw slot. It really is much easier to apply heat via a MAPP or Propane torch for roughly one minute and then remove the bolt/screw.
... and if she had actually read the DIY, she would have known that.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2009, 04:13 AM   #8
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

Has anyone tried these clip ons?
http://www.sportisimoto-usa.com/accessories.php
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sema's clips.jpg (60.9 KB, 4 views)
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote