ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 3rd, 2010, 07:26 AM   #1
00nothing
ninjette.org member

Name: matt

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250r

600 mile service mods ?

Wifey's bike is coming up on its 600 mile service and I am wondering if theres any mods i should consider doing since i will be working on the bike anyways

She will be keeping a stock can and the bike is going to be setup for commuting and long day trips so reliability and longevity is what we are shooting for here

Wondering if i should just leave all stock stuff intact or should i remove things like the kleen air system and also should i swap the air filter out for a k&n
00nothing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2010, 09:56 AM   #2
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

swap a sprocket or 2. 41t on the rear works great or a 15t up front.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2010, 11:15 AM   #3
want1sobad
Ninjette CPT

Name: Vince

Motorcycle(s): Black 08 250r

15t front sprocket (will bring rpms down about 300-500), shim needles (better throttle reponse, more rider friendly at lower rpms), pull snorkel (improves top end). all very easy, all cheap, all have DIY's on the forum.

have fun!
want1sobad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2010, 12:28 PM   #4
00nothing
ninjette.org member

thanks guys exactly the sort of response i was looking for, my wife is a first time rider and isn't necessarily looking for performance mods but more the sort of mods that make the bike more pleasurable to ride

How about the air filter will it make a difference or is th stock one sufficient

Old September 3rd, 2010, 12:41 PM   #5
want1sobad
Ninjette CPT

stock is fine, no need to spend $50 on a k&n.....

Old September 3rd, 2010, 12:42 PM   #6
kkim

I would keep the bike stock and she how she likes it, first. One common "fault" of the stock bikes is the lean jetting that makes moving from a stop sometimes difficult. If her bike exhibits a need to rev the engine before she can move from a dead stop, consider shimming the needles to richen up the low end response of the engine. makes it much easier to ride for bikes that come extra lean from the factory.

the stock tires on the 09-10 bikes are a bit harder than what came on the 08s, so if you guys are planning some fun in the twisties, consider swapping out the stock IRC tires for some stickier tires in the same stock sizes. Builds a lot more confidence for the beginning rider if the bike handles securely in the turns. Bridgestone bt 045 or Pirelli Sport Demons are 2 very good stock replacement size tires for the new gens.

double check that the rear shock preload is set to the softest setting for now if she is a less than 150lbs. it should come from the factory at that softest setting, but the dealer may have played w/ it.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2010, 12:51 PM   #7
ScorpionNinja
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

My 2009's IRCs are just fine!

Ive ridden 2UP many times, i just hit over 12,000 miles on them!

In normal roads and twisties, IRCs are fine, least in the DRY conditions. I havent ridden 2UP or solo in the pouring Rain on twisties enuff to give IMO about them in rainy conditions!

Of course doing a trackday im sure the IRCs will suck, but your wifey isnt doing trackdays anytime soon, so i will say the IRCs are fine.
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2010, 01:01 PM   #8
00nothing
ninjette.org member

Tires are a definite upgrade I had planned on for her in the near future shes my life and I want to be sure she has the best equipment to keep her safe that i can afford. She has gotten real good with the clutch but does occasionally stall it still while trying to take off and i was thinking that this might be from the bike being so lean when i am on it i do find i have to give it quite a bit of gas to get a nice smooth launch

Once again i Really appreciate the advice guys

Old September 3rd, 2010, 01:03 PM   #9
want1sobad
Ninjette CPT

for the type of riding it sounds like she's doing, run the IRC's into the ground then upgrade to a set of bt45's - you'll be happy.

Old September 3rd, 2010, 01:05 PM   #10
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00nothing View Post
She has gotten real good with the clutch but does occasionally stall it still while trying to take off and i was thinking that this might be from the bike being so lean when i am on it i do find i have to give it quite a bit of gas to get a nice smooth launch
shim the needles (or if you're more ambitious, a jet kit) and the bike will become a lot more manageable at lower revs. she'll love you for it.

Old September 3rd, 2010, 02:44 PM   #11
00nothing
ninjette.org member

k been reading the heck out of the shimming DIY and it all seems very straight forward but i have a bit of a question regarding the JIS bit seems a lot of people go to great lengths to find the correct bit to avoid stripping but wouldnt the toolkit that came with the bike be a JIS bit ??? Seems it would only make sense seeing as how it comes with the bike.

I am not overly worried as I am very very careful with screws I see a lot of stripped ones in my job from people who aren't patient enough to know what they are doing or use the right tool

Old September 3rd, 2010, 03:33 PM   #12
kkim

Matt... the problem with the screwdriver in the toolkit is that it's not long enough to reach those carb screws when the carbs are in place... the frame gets in the way. I used a long shank #2 Phillips when I shimmed my carbs, but I was sure to press down hard before applying sideways torque to remove the screw. If you're very careful, it can be done. if you're not... what should be a simple job can turn into a hours/days long headache.

Since then I've purchased a set of JIS screwdrivers as I do a lot of carb work on various bikes and there is a marked difference in how it fits into the screw head. Imagine... using the right tool for the job??? who woulda' thunk it!