ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old December 3rd, 2011, 04:54 PM   #1
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

tachometer issues

so my tachometer has a strange issue and I was wondering if someone has an idea as to what the cause is. when I turn on my bike it doesn't do anything until about 10-30 seconds later at which poin t it seems like the right amount of revs are indicated. Also the fuel meter doesn't do anything until a few minutes have passed. Any ideas are much appreciated

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2011, 05:14 PM   #2
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00NissanNinja View Post
so my tachometer has a strange issue and I was wondering if someone has an idea as to what the cause is. when I turn on my bike it doesn't do anything until about 10-30 seconds later at which poin t it seems like the right amount of revs are indicated. Also the fuel meter doesn't do anything until a few minutes have passed. Any ideas are much appreciated
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showp...47&postcount=4
http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Battery
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2011, 07:44 AM   #3
cbdallas
ninjette.org guru

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 650R

When I start my bike, my tach won't start working until I rev it past 2500 rpms...from then on it works fine. If the bike starts and idles at 1200, the tach stays at 0 until I blip the throttle. Is this caused by the battery, or does the tach have an issue?
cbdallas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2011, 09:23 AM   #4
Robinhood
ninjette.org member

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2007 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdallas View Post
When I start my bike, my tach won't start working until I rev it past 2500 rpms...from then on it works fine. If the bike starts and idles at 1200, the tach stays at 0 until I blip the throttle. Is this caused by the battery, or does the tach have an issue?
I have the same problem, and figured that the tack needle is "sticky." Give it a smack, and it should work right away. I plan on opening mine up to lube it. I'll let you know how it goes.
Robinhood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2011, 11:56 AM   #5
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
mine only does this when it's below 50 out. if the lubing helps, I'll look into doing that.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2011, 02:32 PM   #6
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Battery eh, I'll check it and make sure the connections are good and its holding proper charge. It is quite cold out here but last year I never had any issues with it even when I started it up in the 20's. Thanks guys

Old December 4th, 2011, 02:56 PM   #7
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
I have the same problem, and figured that the tack needle is "sticky." Give it a smack, and it should work right away. I plan on opening mine up to lube it. I'll let you know how it goes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
mine only does this when it's below 50 out. if the lubing helps, I'll look into doing that.
The tach runs off electrical input from a sensor, so no lube is necessary. If checking and correcting issues with the battery does not resolve the problem, also check to make sure the crankshaft sensor connector is connected good. There is a possibility the tach could be bad, but rule everything else out first.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Crankshaft sensor.pdf (98.8 KB, 22 views)
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2011, 04:29 PM   #8
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

I checked the battery and its holding its charge well (has a charge of 12.66V). Connectors were tight as well. I'll try cleaning up the crankshaft sensor connector with some electrical cleaner next see if that gets the tach working like it used to. I'll be tearing the bike apart next week so I'll just dig around until I find the issue.

Old July 11th, 2012, 05:08 PM   #9
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
Did you ever open yours up? I'm having the exact same problem. Needle is stuck at 0 until I smack the gauge and then it works.

Old July 11th, 2012, 05:38 PM   #10
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
startup is a rough time on the electrical system. it should not be an issue. cut the girl some slack when shes just waking up.

Old July 11th, 2012, 08:49 PM   #11
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

The tach didn't always behave this way. It's only happened recently within the last few months. I've ridden through some heavy down pours and I wonder if the mechanical part of the tach has begun to rust. I know the gauge is water proof, but I don't know if it's air tight, which I kind of doubt.

Old July 12th, 2012, 02:14 AM   #12
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
well its just a coil on an axle with a spring. you could spray some lube on it i guess? i would do a draw test on the battery