ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 25th, 2010, 04:23 PM   #1
billybobjoeiv
ninjette.org member

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Engine won't continue running after i got hit....

So im officially out of the 'riders that will go down' group. pulled out of a gas station yesterday and a guy came out of nowhere and hit me on the left side of the front wheel. my front is messed up so i gotta take it to a shop or something. also though, as i was going down (didnt go down very hard...was able to keep it from really impacting the ground at all), the engine died on me. i tried starting it again and after a few tries it started running for about half a second and then died. same thing next try. Before i send it to the shop, does anyone know what that could be? something major? or hopefully just a loose connection somewhere...
Any tips would be greatly appreciated! im not a techy guy and havent really done any hard maintenance on the bike yet.
billybobjoeiv is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2010, 04:36 PM   #2
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

Glad your okay - no idea about the problem.
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2010, 06:03 PM   #3
kkim

is it still doing the same thing today? sometimes when a bike falls over, the engine can get flooded. try cranking the bike with the throttle wide open for a few seconds to clear any gas that may be flooding your bike.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2010, 06:10 AM   #4
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Yeah, that's pretty normal. The air bleeds and other tiny air passages in the little 250's carbs are very small, so when fuel sloshes around in the carb when the bike goes down they get plugged with fuel. This drastically changes the mixture, enough so it won't fire well or at all. The surface tension of the fuel is high enough to keep the gas in the tiny holes, so the only real remedy is time for the fuel to evaporate. It's made worse by the fact that trying to crank without starting usually causes the engine to flood (too much fuel in the cylinder) and that usually gets the plugs wet, pretty much guaranteeing it won't start.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2010, 08:36 AM   #5
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

sorry to hear you got hit, glad you weren't injured.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2010, 01:24 PM   #6
pooter
ninjette.org member

Name: Peter

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Is his insurance covering damages?
pooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2010, 01:33 PM   #7
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooter View Post
Is his insurance covering damages?
good point!

Old August 26th, 2010, 06:34 PM   #8
billybobjoeiv
ninjette.org member

no. it was technically my fault. 'failure to yield'. i checked, didnt see the guy coming, and he hit me as i pulled out. so i have to pay. and apparently my insurance wont cover me so its out of pocket.......great.
I tried the bike again today. it wouldnt start. i tried 3 times (waiting between each try). tried with full throttle and with full choke independently and then together to no avail.

Old August 27th, 2010, 07:05 AM   #9
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

Why won't the insurance company pay? Isn't that an "accident"? You looked and didn't see the car approaching.
Did you get a ticket for "failure to yield" and if so, doesn't the cop have to witness that?
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2010, 11:42 AM   #10
kkim

check for spark at the spark plugs.

Old August 28th, 2010, 02:19 PM   #11
billybobjoeiv
ninjette.org member

The insurance is under my dad's name and he set it up for me. He told me that i had full coverage. This happened and he's like 'oh yeah....i forgot. i just gave you liability. sorry.' so yeah. im now out blank amount of dollars.
As for the ticket, Im not sure. I guess they dont have to witness it in ohio. I think they can get an eyeview witness or whatever to do it for them (the guy that hit me).

Ok. ill check the spark plugs next time i get a chance to look at the bike. I was talking to a friend really quickly about it and he said something might have come loose in the carbs and i might have to take em apart. would that be a possibility?

Old August 28th, 2010, 03:12 PM   #12
tjkamper

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Too bad you dad lied to ya. Good luck.

Old August 29th, 2010, 11:45 AM   #13
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

Glad to hear that you didn't get hurt.

nb

Old August 29th, 2010, 10:33 PM   #14
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Might be worth a try to check the clutch and kickstand safety switches. If one of those is working intermittently it could be causing your problems. If they are broken your bike will not start at all. Did it hit on the left side?
JeffM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2010, 04:58 PM   #15
billybobjoeiv
ninjette.org member

yeah it hit on the left side on the front wheel. didnt hit the body of the bike.

if i remember right though, with those safeties engages, the engine wont even try to start. It will turn over, and i got it to start for about half a second one time before it immediately died again.

Old August 31st, 2010, 06:44 AM   #16
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Nathan, just thinking that one of the switches might have a wire or contact that is intermittent. It's a long shot.

Old September 2nd, 2010, 04:10 PM   #17
billybobjoeiv
ninjette.org member

Aight, i'll give it a try. still havent had time to work on it :/. talked to one guy that had worked on bikes for a while and he said if the forks are bent at all, i may as well total it and get what i can for the remains. which makes me sad

Old September 3rd, 2010, 06:09 AM   #18
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

But forks are easy and relatively inexpensive to buy! I've seen a pair with very low mileage go for $100 before.

On your bike, you should check basics first before exploring more complex failure scenarios. Pull a spark plug wire and stick a spare plug in it, then ground the plug against the engine. Crank and see if you get spark. If not, then look at kill switch wiring, coil wiring.

If you do get spark, pull the airbox lid and filter and spray starting fluid into the carb intakes while cranking, does it start?

Have you actually checked to see if fuel flows from the tank when you apply vacuum to the petcock? You have fuel, right? Opened the tank and looked inside?

Also, your plugs are probably fouled by now, probably not a bad idea to pull and clean them.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2010, 08:00 PM   #19
billybobjoeiv
ninjette.org member

forks are inexpensive? that makes me happy!! ive been crazy busy with stuff so i havent had time to even look at the bike. hopefully within the next week i'll be able to take a look at your suggestions. Thanks a ton! hopefully i can get it up and running then! I'd be so happy!!