ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: How much (per year) for ninjette insurance?
full coverage (liability/comp/collision): less than $100 35 7.71%
full coverage: $100 - $300 111 24.45%
full coverage: $300 - $500 77 16.96%
full coverage: $500 - $800 50 11.01%
full coverage: more than $800/year 37 8.15%
liability only: less than $100 51 11.23%
liability only: $100 - $300 52 11.45%
liability only: $300 - $500 25 5.51%
liability only: $500 - $800 8 1.76%
liability only: more than $800/year 8 1.76%
Voters: 454. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 8th, 2009, 06:20 PM   #1
Countrygirl
Adrenaline Junkie Queen

Name: Joanne

Motorcycle(s): Red EX250R Ninja

Insurance. It costs how much!?!

I just got confirmation that my Kawi dealer was able to find me a 2009 Red Ninja. I'm soooooo excited I've been waiting for one since last spring. Now I get to meet my baby this Friday. I'm so uber pumped!

However, I'm trying to figure out the insurance end of it.

What do you guys have, how much does it cost and who insures you? How much is it suppose to cost? I live in Alberta Canada, I called my insurance provider for a quote and I'm shocked at the numbers she returned with.

I have to pay $956 for 1,000,000 liability, collision, fire, vandalism and theft for a year.
It will cost me $750 for liability, fire and theft for a year.
It costs $528 liability, fire and theft for a year.
It costs $266 for liability only for a year.

I have a good driving record and she said that just because I'm new to owning a bike doesn't make a difference. I told her it's only a 250R and it won't have as much speed as a 600 or 1000, but she said it didn't matter.

What kind of coverage should I get? What other companies insure bikes for a reasonable price?
Countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2009, 06:35 PM   #2
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

State farm usually has some of the better rates - I'm married which helps, and have a clean record - I have full coverage for $170/yr - we also have two houses and two cars through them - but really compared to some of the other quotes I've heard, your 1k figure doesn't sound too bad
noche_caliente is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2009, 06:42 PM   #3
GreezMunky
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tor

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r (*sold*), 2010 Daytona 675

lol, I'm 20, married, with a house and no accidents/tickets on my record. Geico wanted 3k a year for me! Thats full coverage though. I've heard State Farm (right now I am not a very big fan of SF whatsoever though ) is usually the best for motorcyclists, but there is a company here in town, Diaryland, that was the cheapest by far. A little over a grand a year I think? Not sure, I'd have to go back and check it out.

Oh, and I was told even though it's only a 250cc it's still considered a "sport bike" insurance wise. Don't ask me how that works.
GreezMunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2009, 06:54 PM   #4
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Whey you are asking for quotes don't give the engine size as 250, it is 248 and that is often the dividing line between the big dollars and the "huge" dollars.

Old February 8th, 2009, 06:59 PM   #5
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I am insured with Progressive and have full coverage for $200. They said that it would have been lower if it was not a sport bike--even though it is only a 250. I am married, 67years old, and have a clean driving record. Insurance on my Norton 750 was $125. Not considered a sport bike. CJ I don`t know what is required in Canada--a million dollars liability seems like overkill.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2009, 07:13 PM   #6
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

STATE FARM SUCKS! < just had to get that out

Got my wife insurance thru Geico(Not as member any where) $99.99 a year.
250Ded 50/100/300.

Have the R1 insured thru them as well. < Nobody could beat there coverage for our area.
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2009, 07:17 PM   #7
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

Holly cow! 1K? Seriously? Wow...

I am 28m, female (dundundun, incase you missed that one), been driving since I was 18 and riding for two years. No accidents and all tickets are more than three years old.

I pay $32 a month for my motorcycle insurance through progressive and thats for full coverage $500 deductable.

Old February 8th, 2009, 07:37 PM   #8
Sailariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
STATE FARM SUCKS! < just had to get that out

Got my wife insurance thru Geico(Not as member any where) $99.99 a year.
250Ded 50/100/300.

Have the R1 insured thru them as well. < Nobody could beat there coverage for our area.
Kerry, Was insured with SF from 1958 to 1982. The agent called and said that they were going to raise my insurance 10%. Mind you, I have had no accidents or tickets since 1958. He said that the computer predicted a big claim based on the miles driven accident free and the kind of car I was driving (Corvette). I cancelled him and went with USAA for the car and GEICO for the bike. I am now with progressive for the bike.

Old February 8th, 2009, 07:53 PM   #9
grandmaster
ninjette.org member

Name: Levi

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R, CR125R

I am insured through my parents insurance which is progressive. My 250 is $410 a year I am 19, male and have no tickets what so ever. I didn't think it was all that bad, but then agian It is only liability and theft. We also have 6 cars 3 harleys, 4 4-wheelers, 3 dirtbikes, a boat, 2 waverunners, and a snowmobile insured under them....so that might be why we get a good discount....but I have no clue.
grandmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2009, 08:14 PM   #10
NJD022588
============

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

I first got insurance through State Farm. It was full coverage and paid about $700 for the first year. 3 weeks later they dropped me and gave me my money back..

Now I have Progressive but couldnt afford full coverage. I have liability, theft, vandalism, fire, etc. covered. Its $285/year and I'm 20 and not married.
NJD022588 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2009, 09:08 PM   #11
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

I'm 18, insured through American Family, and it costs $209 a year for full coverage.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2009, 09:29 PM   #12
kazam58
Sarcasm: Yea that'll work

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

I'm 17, this is my first bike, and I'm paying about $360 a year with a 250 deductible and minimal required liability for everything else. I went with progressive even though that meant I was insured only under my name (nothing to do with my parents) and we have nothing else insured under them. I have a clean driving record too. I think a real deal breaker is where you live too. Vermont is one of the least populated areas period, which means less accidents. Progressive was half as much as anyone else I tried.
kazam58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2009, 09:39 PM   #13
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

Gotta agree with most everyone else, +1 for statefarm. Best quote I got was with them, but also because I'm under 25 and first year bike insurance. And 1k is pretty good, depending on your age. I'm paying 1400 - 24, GM2, no tickets, no accidents.
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2009, 10:08 PM   #14
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

$632 yr through State Farm. 19 Female no tickets/accidents. Insurance under my dad's policy. Full coverage $1000 ded 50/50/100 (i think).

It's pretty high and I'm looking for a new company. Full coverage for my bike costs the same as liability for my car. Go figure.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2009, 10:38 PM   #15
komohana

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

when i was hunting for cycle insurance and found progressive to be much cheaper than the nearest competitor, i was thrown abit when they quoted me nearly $600 bucks more than i was paying presently for my other 2 motor vehicles. (ford p/u and explorer)...

...anyway, i'm paying just below $100.00 a year for hawaii's 'no fault' required liability insurance for my '2003 kawasaki EX250F, which i bought outright.

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2009, 12:43 AM   #16
grandmaster
ninjette.org member

Name: Levi

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R, CR125R

I also think where you live makes a big difference. I live in St. George where you can ride all but about a month, 2 tops out of the year. More risk, of an accident when you can ride it more
grandmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2009, 08:15 AM   #17
G250RSC
ninjette.org member

Name: Gene

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

Yea I am with Progressive and pay 275 for the year (Full coverage). Geico wanted 1200!! Highway robbery.
G250RSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2009, 08:44 AM   #18
xTKx
Finally!

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): 09 Red 250R

I got a quote of about $600/year for full coverage from State Farm (my current insurance agent). Pretty pricey, but I was paying about $750/year with Geico last summer for my other bike with very limited coverage.
xTKx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2009, 09:56 AM   #19
Cali619
Giggity Giggity

Name: Ryam

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250R aka Hiryu

I have full coverage through state farm, they rate by CC not type of MC, but had to work their system to get the huge discount. Basically to get the discount for having more than 1 policy, I signed up for a very cheap(couple bucks more a month) Life insurance policy. Not saying State Farm is the cheapest but suggest going with a company that rates by CC and also talk to a rep to weasle the system, they will do what they can to beat the competition if you tell em you got a lower quote from so and so.
Cali619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2009, 10:01 AM   #20
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Allmayer Beck View Post
Kerry, Was insured with SF from 1958 to 1982. The agent called and said that they were going to raise my insurance 10%. Mind you, I have had no accidents or tickets since 1958. He said that the computer predicted a big claim based on the miles driven accident free and the kind of car I was driving (Corvette). I cancelled him and went with USAA for the car and GEICO for the bike. I am now with progressive for the bike.
Good for you finding somebody else! Thats a long time to be with a company for them to end up trying to screw you over. First it was Allstate down here with us(I moved everything to SF), then State Farm < Not wanting to insure us anymore. Geico thru NFCU has some awsome rates for the car/truck, until my MVR comes up. I tried USAA also, but SF has the best price for vehicles right now. Let me tell you, its hard writing that check out to them
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SF.jpg (257.6 KB, 71 views)
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2009, 10:54 AM   #21
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Allmayer Beck View Post
Thats the most back-asswards thing an insurance company can do... lol I guess Statefarm is really just pure numbers... CC and length of time between accidents

And CountryGirl - keep in mind that everyone else's post is in USD... so again, yours isn't a bad quote... If you're above 25 however, I've seen other Canadians paying half that

Old February 9th, 2009, 12:36 PM   #22
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

Holy cow..

I think that I need to rethink the insurance. I'm 42, married, and I pay around 800/yr, full coverage, (since it is financed) (GEICO). I had SF for years, until we bought a house in VA and tried to get SF homeowners, they wouldn't insure it until we switched our cars. Tried to explain our cars were insured SF, in KY, but they said we would have to put our cars under SF in Va, and we were not moving for another 2 months. So we told them to get bent and have been with someone else, geico, ever since.

As far as tickets, I just got one in the car last month, 73/55, and last was in 2000. I may have to look around a bit when my policy is up for renewal.

nb

Old February 9th, 2009, 01:27 PM   #23
Countrygirl
Adrenaline Junkie Queen

Thanks everyone for your response.

I talked to friends, called around and found the best quote with Blue Circle Insurance.

http://www.blue-circle.ca/users/fold...?FolderID=6628

If you're in Canada check them out. He quoted me $360 a year for everything, liability, collision, fire, theft, vandalism. So I'm happy with that price. That's a heck of a lot better than $1000

Old February 9th, 2009, 01:32 PM   #24
camaroz1985

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

Kerry and Alex. I have a strict no Geico policy after they informed me that they were dropping my coverage because they "found out I participated in timed racing events". Mind you this was not with the car that I had insured with them. It is well known that they search SCCA results for policy holders and cancel their policies (I didn't know this at the time).

Anyway long story short I switched to State Farm and have been very happy with it. My premiums are lower, and my agent showed me the part of the policy regarding sanctioned racing. They don't cover me on the track, but I wouldn't expect them to (nor did I expect this of Geico).

I am 23 have a clean (no tickets in last 5 years, no accidents) driving record, 2 cars, and a house insured with them, and my insurance was $366 for full coverage for a year. I am told by my agent it should go down significantly this year or next (can't remember which).
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2009, 02:16 PM   #25
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

GEICO is terrible for enthusiasts. Folks insured with GEICO aren't allowed to participate in the Cal24; they need to find alternate insurance prior to the event. GEICO put in a clause in their policies two years ago that says you're not covered if you drive (or ride) more than 12 hours in one 24 hour period.

It's the same company that has donated many, many radar & laser units to LEO's across the country, under the guise of safety (read between the lines, the more tickets, the higher the premiums, without a significant rise in covered risk).

If they were the cheapest for us (they're not), I'd still find another company to do business with.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2009, 07:58 PM   #26
Sailariel

I had a hard time finding insurance because I raced cars--Lotus Super 7, and sky dived. Guess they thought I was a type A moron with a death wish. Took a while to sort that one out. I guess the American public finds us Army Rangers to be a bit strange.

Old February 10th, 2009, 02:21 AM   #27
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrygirl View Post
Thanks everyone for your response.

I talked to friends, called around and found the best quote with Blue Circle Insurance.

http://www.blue-circle.ca/users/fold...?FolderID=6628

If you're in Canada check them out. He quoted me $360 a year for everything, liability, collision, fire, theft, vandalism. So I'm happy with that price. That's a heck of a lot better than $1000
Congrats! It always pays to shop around, especially with insurance. Now, all you need is a bike??
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2009, 12:08 PM   #28
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

nice find. Looks like they're more of a regional insurance company for the west coast though

Old February 11th, 2009, 10:18 AM   #29
Countrygirl
Adrenaline Junkie Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
Congrats! It always pays to shop around, especially with insurance. Now, all you need is a bike??
I'll be picking up my bike at the end of March. My dealer was able to get me my Red 2009 250R Ninja for $4500 out the door. I was soooooo freakn' happy! I screamed and was flipping out when he called to tell me the good news!

I get to meet the bike this Friday! hehe.. I asked for weekly visitation rights until I pay for the entire thing. I've already put 1/2 down, but I don't want to pay for insurance until I actually start to ride the bike. It's still snowing, cold and miserable out here in Alberta with ice everywhere. So I'd rather let it sit at the dealer and I'll drive it home at the end of March and hopefully a Chinook has blown in at that time to melt all the snow. If I did pay for the entire thing today, I don't have a trailer to haul it home in, so I'll wait to bring home my baby.

Old February 11th, 2009, 11:50 AM   #30
kkim

Wow, you have a lot of personal restraint and trust. I hope you write down the mileage of the bike at the dealer and they don't use it for demo rides for potential customers. Even if not, I'm sure they'll keep it in the showroom and everyone in there has the opportunity to sit on it to size it up.

But then, bringing it home would be a temptation to ride, I know, but maybe you could do some mods on it before spring time? clean and polish it daily? I dunno... I wouldn't trust the dealer more than I wouldn't trust myself.

Old February 11th, 2009, 03:19 PM   #31
ARc
Revolver Wario

Name: Jeffrey

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250

Logo Dude
Great hearing about your bike! N250R's look soooo sexy in red. It was the color I had originally wanted too, keke.

I paid around $250 for this year for the plan above the minimum. Next year when I have enough money, I'm going for full coverage.

Old February 11th, 2009, 03:57 PM   #32
Countrygirl
Adrenaline Junkie Queen

Quote:
Wow, you have a lot of personal restraint and trust. I hope you write down the mileage of the bike at the dealer and they don't use it for demo rides for potential customers. Even if not, I'm sure they'll keep it in the showroom and everyone in there has the opportunity to sit on it to size it up.

But then, bringing it home would be a temptation to ride, I know, but maybe you could do some mods on it before spring time? clean and polish it daily? I dunno... I wouldn't trust the dealer more than I wouldn't trust myself.
SERIOUSLY!!! Would they do that? Yes, I am quite trusting and naive... but thankfully I am usually surrounded by people who take care of me. Geez, thanks for letting me know.

Now I'm trying to figure out if I should take it now or later. *ACK* I had no idea. I just thought they'd put it in the back, put a nice cover on it and I could just visit it and coo over it every week. They are hard to get and hard to find. It took him a month to find mine and he's not getting anymore in.... *ugh* I'm such a dummy.

So should I just ask him what he's going to do with it? I guess it's his until I fully pay for it right?

Old February 11th, 2009, 04:39 PM   #33
kkim

I would talk with him and see what he says. Even if he does say it will be in the back, safe, do you trust him? I wouldn't, but I'm funny that way.

If you have room at home, I'd bring it home and stare at it if that's all you can do, instead of trusting the bike to a dealer. To him, it's just another bike and a way to make money... to you, it's your pride and joy. Who do you think would take better care of it?

pssst... I like trusting and naive girls.

Old February 11th, 2009, 07:19 PM   #34
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

Quote:
I would talk with him and see what he says. Even if he does say it will be in the back, safe, do you trust him? I wouldn't, but I'm funny that way.

If you have room at home, I'd bring it home and stare at it if that's all you can do, instead of trusting the bike to a dealer. To him, it's just another bike and a way to make money... to you, it's your pride and joy. Who do you think would take better care of it?

Old February 11th, 2009, 08:26 PM   #35
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Quote:
Well there he goes again.

I thought we had him under control again.

Old February 11th, 2009, 09:02 PM   #36
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Countrygirl, you might wanna think about carrying around a black spray can... that outta keep him at bay

Old February 12th, 2009, 12:20 AM   #37
Countrygirl
Adrenaline Junkie Queen

Ha! You guys are a riot!

I think I'll just saunter on in and talk to him. Just ask him what his intentions are and if he's going to defile my bike. Then take mental notes as to what condition it's in. I'm very observant and notice the slightest thing, so I'll take lots of pics, take notes and write down the mileage. Thanks for that tip! I'll make him 'cross his heart hope to die' that he doesn't let it get scratched or that he doesn't let anyone break it's cherry but me.

I just don't want to pick up my bike until the end of March for several reasons.

1. I just ordered all my gear from Belgium and I'm waiting for it to come in. I like to pay cash for everything. I want to pay for all my gear first, then finish paying the other 1/2 of the bike. I'll have the money to pay off the bike mid March.

2. It's -15C (5F) snowy, cold, icy. I want to drive it home from the dealership when it's +15C, warm, no snow, no ice.

3. My garage needs to be cleaned up where my bike will be. Did I mention -15C? I don't want to be working in the garage sweeping, recycling and going to the bottle depot in the cold. I hate the cold. Once I get my bike, I'm putting heated grips on it right away. Can I get a heated seat too? Hmmm.... I've got to check into that.

4. My mother is making her annual visit at the end of Feb. and I don't want to hear the lecture about my bike. I'm saving myself headache and stress.

5. I don't want to start to pay for insurance until I can actually ride it. Even if it is only $360.

6. I've signed up for a refresher/practice/road driving course for March 20 with my motorcycle school, just to make sure I remember everything from my classes over the summer.

7. I've already planned it out in my head that I'm going to pick it up near the end of March. Once my mind is set on something, it's really hard to change it.

It will be all good. It's a small town, not a big city dealer. I'm optimistic. I can be very convincing when I need to be. I'll feel him out. He's a really uber nice guy so I think he'll be good. I'll be in every week to check on the bike. I might even stop in every other day depending on how I feel so I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the heads up! You're awesomesauce!

Oh and psssst.... I like bad boys who look like Tom Welling.

Old February 12th, 2009, 12:27 AM   #38
kkim

hey, where did you get those pictures of me??

good reasons to let it sit at the shop... especially with mother visiting.

Old February 12th, 2009, 10:36 AM   #39
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I hate the cold. Once I get my bike, I'm putting heated grips on it right away. Can I get a heated seat too? Hmmm.... I've got to check into that.
lol I think you're in the wrong country then! and if your backside is getting cold when you're riding, I think you might need more meat in that section

I actually didn't bother with the heated grips, my JR nitrogen gloves kept me going till atleast -1... Weather finally got the best of me in December - thanks to the snow, though, not the cold

Old February 12th, 2009, 10:56 AM   #40
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Quote:
I hate the cold. Once I get my bike, I'm putting heated grips on it right away. Can I get a heated seat too? Hmmm.... I've got to check into that.
The ninjette doesn't have much extra electrical juice (less than 100W available), and heated gear takes up a good amount. The best bang for the electrical buck is a heated jacket liner (or vest). If that isn't enough, then do the grips. A heated seat after that would be overkill. Here's how I wired up our electric gear:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3

A Gerbing heated jacket liner allows me to ride in the cold easily, though if there's ice on the road I'm not likely to take any bike out of the garage.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote