ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old July 4th, 2011, 02:49 AM   #1
Clearlynotstefan
ninjette.org member

Name: Stefan

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250, Totally black. Gsxr 600 Red.

Buying a new bike

I figured I would let my fellow ninjettes know of my step up, my reasoning, and how effin excited I am.

I'm picking up my used gsxr 600 this week. I am NOT a squid, I don't wheelie, and I speed within reason, because cmon, everyone speeds.

I prefer this bike to the others because it's the most comfortable for the performance, and because the bike is SO popular, it's fairly cheap on the used market due to the supply curve. I hate the association people have with gixxer riders!

My reasoning: I bought the 250 to learn on, and learn I did. I don't feel I've learned everything there is know about riding, and I feel like the day I do, is the day I'll wreck. BUT, I've clocked 8k miles on my 2fiddy. I've read all the best books (twist of the wrist1&2, total control) and I actively practice advanced technique. I know how to survive sand, mud, rain, etc with proper technique. I can drag knee (doesn't hurt being 6'5!) I've learned how to fix bikes. and perhaps most amazingly, I have never dropped the thing, even at a standstill (lesson: considering the MSF course? take it..)

The 250 is plenty fast, but I won't mind having a little more speed I'll tell you that. The reasoning is primarily driven by the fact that I'm 6'5 220 lbs, and this bike is just too small under me. At my size, the gsxr is the most comfortable bike in the class for me, and it doesn't look tiny under me like the 250 does, and due to the length of my arms, I'm not hunched uncomfortably over the tank eating instrument cluster, I'm actually pretty damn comfy on it! I test rode one and put 50 miles on it, opened it all the way up, and felt the power, and while I respect it, I'm confident in my ability to be safe on it
Having justified my purchase and hopefully cutting down on the flaming that might have ensued, I'd like to mention I CANT WAIT AHHHH

Also: I'm considering keeping my 250 as a commuter bike to still enjoy the 70mpg going back and forth to school every day, but I honestly question how often I'll ride it once I get the gixxer. Does anyone have experience here they'd like to contribute? Thanks!
Clearlynotstefan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2011, 03:41 AM   #2
newboy17
ninjette.org newboy17

Name: robert

Motorcycle(s): 09 blue ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearlynotstefan View Post
I figured I would let my fellow ninjettes know of my step up, my reasoning, and how effin excited I am.

I'm picking up my used gsxr 600 this week. I am NOT a squid, I don't wheelie, and I speed within reason, because cmon, everyone speeds.

I prefer this bike to the others because it's the most comfortable for the performance, and because the bike is SO popular, it's fairly cheap on the used market due to the supply curve. I hate the association people have with gixxer riders!

My reasoning: I bought the 250 to learn on, and learn I did. I don't feel I've learned everything there is know about riding, and I feel like the day I do, is the day I'll wreck. BUT, I've clocked 8k miles on my 2fiddy. I've read all the best books (twist of the wrist1&2, total control) and I actively practice advanced technique. I know how to survive sand, mud, rain, etc with proper technique. I can drag knee (doesn't hurt being 6'5!) I've learned how to fix bikes. and perhaps most amazingly, I have never dropped the thing, even at a standstill (lesson: considering the MSF course? take it..)

The 250 is plenty fast, but I won't mind having a little more speed I'll tell you that. The reasoning is primarily driven by the fact that I'm 6'5 220 lbs, and this bike is just too small under me. At my size, the gsxr is the most comfortable bike in the class for me, and it doesn't look tiny under me like the 250 does, and due to the length of my arms, I'm not hunched uncomfortably over the tank eating instrument cluster, I'm actually pretty damn comfy on it! I test rode one and put 50 miles on it, opened it all the way up, and felt the power, and while I respect it, I'm confident in my ability to be safe on it
Having justified my purchase and hopefully cutting down on the flaming that might have ensued, I'd like to mention I CANT WAIT AHHHH

Also: I'm considering keeping my 250 as a commuter bike to still enjoy the 70mpg going back and forth to school every day, but I honestly question how often I'll ride it once I get the gixxer. Does anyone have experience here they'd like to contribute? Thanks!
hey i saw your ad on craigslist, im also in ny....
well i love my 250 i got an 09 blue, im 5'11 270pounds, and hey trust me i love my 250 and with a few mods i have done to it its pretty fast, but yes i see your point , you are just to tall for the bike, and yeah my 250 is my commuter so as of now $13-15 93oct to fill up my gas tank every 2 weeks , its just awsome.....
just sell it and get the gixxer you will not ride your 250 no more, im actually thinking about just keeping mine till next year and sell it when spring time comes around , you will get better deals on new bikes, or even use bikes a dealers or people trying to sell them .........,.
newboy17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2011, 06:39 AM   #3
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearlynotstefan View Post
Depends on your personality. You'll appreciate how much easier to ride the 250 is after riding around on the gixxer. You actually get quite a bit more reckless on the 250 after getting used to a supersport....or at least I did.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2011, 06:50 AM   #4
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Stefan, enjoy your new bike. Post up some photos in the Ex Ninjetters Lair when you get a chance.

Jeff

Old July 4th, 2011, 07:13 AM   #5
Live2ride
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

You might want to keep your 250 until a week or two after you get the gixxer, then decide if you want to keep it or sell it based on a true comparison of the 2 bikes in everyday situations. Goodluck and ride safely . I can't wait to see the pics of the new bike, what year is it?

Old July 4th, 2011, 07:17 AM   #6
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Stefan, unfortunately experience isn't a matter of miles but rather the number of posts on this forum. Hopefully you still have your 250. I suggest you keep riding that bike until you have at least 100 post (not a meagerly 46 posts). Once you get to the 100 post number you prove you have the patience it takes to ride a large horsepower rocket (or a 600). It takes a certain kind of person to be able to withstand, not only reading all the craziness that others post, but to post weird and crazy ideas on your own. Statistics prove that if you post (and read other posts) about motorcylists and their habits and rituals you tend to be more conservative in your riding and have better chance on the road.

Don't forget to leave the throttle govenor on for the first 100 hours of riding so you don't ride over your head.

Old July 4th, 2011, 09:46 AM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2011, 02:58 PM   #8
wtfh4xx
Opinionated individual :)

Name: SecretNinjaMan

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninjette Special Edition (red/black)

Quote:
Stefan, unfortunately experience isn't a matter of miles but rather the number of posts on this forum.
Crap, I need upgrade to a 750 then.... :P
Yoshi slip on, shimmed 2 washers, zip tie throttle mod, pre-load #2, snorkel delete
2010 SE 250R!
Miles in the saddle: 1000
wtfh4xx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2011, 07:45 PM   #9
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Stefan, unfortunately experience isn't a matter of miles but rather the number of posts on this forum. Hopefully you still have your 250. I suggest you keep riding that bike until you have at least 100 post (not a meagerly 46 posts). Once you get to the 100 post number you prove you have the patience it takes to ride a large horsepower rocket (or a 600). It takes a certain kind of person to be able to withstand, not only reading all the craziness that others post, but to post weird and crazy ideas on your own. Statistics prove that if you post (and read other posts) about motorcylists and their habits and rituals you tend to be more conservative in your riding and have better chance on the road.

Don't forget to leave the throttle govenor on for the first 100 hours of riding so you don't ride over your head.
That means by the time i get the money for a motorcycle ill be ready for a hyabusa