ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 16th, 2012, 10:29 PM   #161
Robinhood
ninjette.org member

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2007 GSXR 600

Not things that are said, but a couple things I've noticed that I find funny.

1. Riders pulling back "the wave" when they realize it's 'just' a 250.

2. Faster bikes obnoxiously blowing past me to make me envious if their cc's...then slowing WAY down for a turn.
Robinhood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2012, 10:35 PM   #162
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ms.T, Queen of the Night

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
Not things that are said, but a couple things I've noticed that I find funny.

1. Riders pulling back "the wave" when they realize it's 'just' a 250.

2. Faster bikes obnoxiously blowing past me to make me envious if their cc's...then slowing WAY down for a turn.

I've had both of those happen recently!

Or the big bikes blow past and I casually putter along only to end up right behind them at a light. I respectfully keep my distance and make sure they can see my giant smile in their mirror.
Firehorse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2012, 10:43 PM   #163
Robinhood
ninjette.org member

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2007 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse View Post

I've had both of those happen recently!

Or the big bikes blow past and I casually putter along only to end up right behind them at a light. I respectfully keep my distance and make sure they can see my giant smile in their mirror.
Even better when it happens multiple lights in a row!
Robinhood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2012, 11:00 PM   #164
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
Even better when it happens multiple lights in a row!
LOL!
Hmmm, that would be easy to plan where I live, we have this main street, see and all the lights are timed for the speed limit...squid hunting...be vewy vewy qwiet..
Maybe that's why the small ninja is called the small ninja, very sneaky...

Was just thinking...If I asked said squid how he can afford to waste so much gas, do you think my helmet would protect me? LOL!

Old April 16th, 2012, 11:03 PM   #165
MikeBudd
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): RED 2010 Ninja 250r

Guy in r6 pulls up and park next to my ninja. I notice he has day plates on the bike.

Start talking about the parking at this one spot (the meter was broken). I say: "nice bike", I'd love to have an r6.

His reply: yea.. I've only been riding for a week now, just got my L.. Im gonna get a bmw s1000rr because this r6 is way to slow for me.
MikeBudd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2012, 11:06 PM   #166
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBudd View Post
Guy in r6 pulls up and park next to my ninja. I notice he has day plates on the bike.

Start talking about the parking at this one spot (the meter was broken). I say: "nice bike", I'd love to have an r6.

His reply: yea.. I've only been riding for a week now, just got my L.. Im gonna get a bmw s1000rr because this r6 is way to slow for me.
Should have asked who gets the R6 in his will.

Old April 16th, 2012, 11:13 PM   #167
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBudd View Post
Going 80 in first gear is for pussies
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2012, 11:18 PM   #168
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

"Whoa I forgot my sunglasses!"
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2012, 06:16 AM   #169
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 650r 2009 Vulcan 800 2005

Myrtle Beach

I've noticed something when we get near Myrtle Beach SC. We live about 2 hours away, and around this town, everyone on a bike waves to everyone on a bike. It's all good.

Last year, my wife and I borrowed a 2nd bike (ninja 900) and rode to MYB for the weekend. About 25 miles out, people stopped waving. Then it hit me... most of the bikes are harley's and the posers only wave at other posers??

Some months later we were in MYB in the car and saw a guy on a harley with freaking training wheels... full sized 15" rim trailer wheels on his harley... and his 400 lbs of wife on the back. Seriously. It is some kind of trailer towing kit. And the harley guys were waving at him.

So we're all bikers out enjoying the sights and smells, the wind on us... and I get snubbed and a guy with freaking training wheels gets respect??? lol.

To be fair, last weekend probably 1/2 of them did wave at me. I went there on Thursday night and returned Friday morning... I guess the ones that waved were locals and not the "tough guy" tourists.
ai4px is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2012, 07:26 AM   #170
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8t six View Post
I always ride with my highbeam on in daytime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by massacremasses View Post
me too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil_Green_Demon View Post
I tend to ride with my highbeam on, too.

That is my pet hate. It doesn't make you any easier to see it just blinds oncoming traffic and pisses off everyone coming your way.

Would you shine a torch in the face of every oncoming driver to make yourself easier to see if out walking

Someone needs to knock your heads together
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2012, 07:46 AM   #171
Ninja Assassin
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 two-fiddy (red)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post

That is my pet hate. It doesn't make you any easier to see it just blinds oncoming traffic and pisses off everyone coming your way.

Would you shine a torch in the face of every oncoming driver to make yourself easier to see if out walking

If you're being blinded by the brights on a 250 during the day time i beleive your eyes are probably so sensative that you should never go outside, muchless operate a vehicle...
Ninja Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2012, 12:15 PM   #172
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

Quote:

Incorrect. You get an F for the day.
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2012, 07:15 PM   #173
Whiskey

Quote:
Incorrect. You get an F for the day.
Bollox to that

I regularly met one f*ckin prick who rode a V-strom with added spotlights/foglights & osram nightracer bulbs, who always pulled up at the head of a line of traffic, pointed diaganoally towards the opposite lane at the crossraods with full beams on. (right under the traffic light, so there was no option to look elsewhere)

Full beams on just distract other drivers & riders, most people automatically look away from the source where a light is being shone in their face, so you are not more visible, you just become an annoyance in a general direction, and it's much more difficult to judge your speed & position.

You got that little .45 subcompact right, the one with a led light under the barrel? That's there for 2 reasons, one to light up the area you're about to shoot into, the second is to disorientate the enemy because they don't want to look at the source of a bright light, so can't accurately judge your position to return fire.

Tell me what part of that you fail to understand

Old April 17th, 2012, 07:21 PM   #174
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
people (like @Live2ride) call my bike a scooter. dick.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2012, 07:32 PM   #175
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Quote:
Bollox to that

I regularly met one f*ckin prick who rode a V-strom with added spotlights/foglights & osram nightracer bulbs, who always pulled up at the head of a line of traffic, pointed diaganoally towards the opposite lane at the crossraods with full beams on. (right under the traffic light, so there was no option to look elsewhere)

Full beams on just distract other drivers & riders, most people automatically look away from the source where a light is being shone in their face, so you are not more visible, you just become an annoyance in a general direction, and it's much more difficult to judge your speed & position.

You got that little .45 subcompact right, the one with a led light under the barrel? That's there for 2 reasons, one to light up the area you're about to shoot into, the second is to disorientate the enemy because they don't want to look at the source of a bright light, so can't accurately judge your position to return fire.

Tell me what part of that you fail to understand
lol

youre not blinding riders with a second bulb especially during the day. Our highs are not like car highs.

Old April 17th, 2012, 08:42 PM   #176
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

You've got to admit that riding with your highbeams on really pisses people off for whatever reason. If you're in the right spot, stopped at a light, your tiny beams go directly into their side mirror. People hate that even if it's a flashlight.

Last thing we need is to have more cagers want to run us off the road.

And everyone is allowed their opinions, eh?

Old April 17th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #177
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

I ride with my brights on because my dad said that he couldn't see my headlight when I was behind him. And at night the low beam is useless unless you're going 5mph..
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2012, 08:58 PM   #178
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

youre telling me that our little "high" beams are brighter than the sun?

Riding with your high beams on during the day is normal and considered a Safe practice.

Sources
http://www.motorcyclesafe.com/motorcycle-safety.html
http://abateny.org/safe/intersec.html
http://mvd.azdot.gov/mvd/formsandpub...rmInfoKey=1133

want more sources? jeez.

Old April 17th, 2012, 10:24 PM   #179
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiKid860 View Post
I ride with my brights on because my dad said that he couldn't see my headlight when I was behind him. And at night the low beam is useless unless you're going 5mph..
Hmm, sounds a bit odd. Whether you like to ride with them on or off, no matter to me but check your manual to make sure they're pointed correctly. That could be scary if someone can't see you and decided to stop for whatever reason.

I wonder if those stock lights like mine fade quickly? I ride mostly at night and when I used to ride with the highs on, I was quickly made aware of how bright they were to drivers.

Yeah everyone knows it's safer but I guess I had to balance out which one is safer for me. A pissed off cager or someone in front of me being able to see me better. I guess experience will tell, eh? The two second rule is proving to be, um, interesting..

Old April 18th, 2012, 05:55 AM   #180
Whiskey

Quote:
youre telling me that our little "high" beams are brighter than the sun?

Riding with your high beams on during the day is normal and considered a Safe practice.
Don't know how it is where you're from, but here the sun is in the sky, not on the road where I tend to be looking while riding...

Quote:
End of 4th paragraph
Quote:
Well lit bikes simply have a great street presence and headlamps can be your greatest defense against an opposing left turn in front of your bike. I have no proof to share, but I honestly believe brightly lit bikes are hit less often than dimly lit ones.
Quote:
This guy is an idiot. nowhere does he suggest using motion or the horn to get attention, but goes on to say
Quote:
Force other motorists to notice you. “Oh, I don’t want to shine my bright light in their face, it might annoy someone.” Yeah, and 6 weeks in the hospital would annoy the hell out of me.
piss off the drivers around you & they'll go out of their way to piss you off, brake check you, close in on you...
Quote:
The MSF booklet
Quote:
You are encouraged to use your
headlight, on high beams, during
the daylight hours to maximize
your visibility
... then
Quote:
• Use Your High Beam — Get all the
light you can. Use your high beam
whenever you are not following
or meeting a car

Quote:
want more sources? jeez.
Yes please, preferably a reliable one that doesn't contradict itself
(or come from an idiot with a horn for Hardleys & goldwings)

Old April 18th, 2012, 06:30 AM   #181
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

I use a headlight modulator on the high beams. The only time I turn it off is when I'm in traffic following someone. I've noticed that the winking light seems to confuse some older folks when I ride up behind them, so I turn it off. Also, there's no sense in sitting in stop and go traffic in line at a red light with the light annoying the crap out of the guy in front of me.

Now as I approach an intersection with a left turn lane that could let cars run out in front of me, I turn the winker on. But the most important thing is to scoot over to the right hand side of the lane when approaching the intersection. In the end, lane position is the best defense in making sure you can be seen. The headlight winker is a tool that can add a little to a cager's ability to see you.

Think of it this way.... picture this... you are in the left side of your lane and there's a row of cars waiting to turn left that you are riding past as you approach the intersection. On the other side of the intersection there is a guy waiting to turn left across the front of you. From his perspective, he can't see you across the hood of the first car on your side which is also waiting. You'll probably be about even with the back door of that car before the guy across the intersection sees you. On the other hand, if you are on the right side of your lane, the guy across the intersection waiting to turn in front of you can probably see you two or three cars back. It gives him an extra second or 3 to spot you. The headlight modulator will certainly catch his eye, but only if you are smart and in the right part of the lane that lets him see you. There's a difference between "possible" to see you and "does" see you.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that no amount of high beams or winking lights will save your butt from stupid lane positioning that prevents the car from being able to see you. Give them every opportunity to see you.

Old April 18th, 2012, 06:44 AM   #182
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

I must be seeing it in my mind wrong because what you described sounds backwards. When I picture a 2 lane road with a normal intersection and a car waiting in front of me with another car in the opposing lane waiting to turn left, I see more of the car in front me blocking any possible sighting of me if I'm on the right. If I'm on the left then there is less car blocking me from being seen by people on my left (the oncoming traffic). So this is very confusing with what you're trying to say. Any way you can make a drawing of some kind to explain what you are seeing?

Old April 18th, 2012, 07:03 AM   #183
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

Stopped next to a cruiser at a stop light and was pleasantly surprised when he returned my wave (Hello, stuck up pricks on cruisers!) We embarked on the fleeting, shout until your throat cracks, repeat every other word type of conversation at stop lights and after asking him about his bike (a 1000cc Honda) I challenged him to guess how many CCs my kawi was...He started at 600 and then proceeded to a 1000!
Needless to say I was all smiles when I told my surprised stop-light-friend that I was straddling 250CCs of pure ninja awesomeness.
God, I love my ninjette!
EthioKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2012, 07:27 AM   #184
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Yes please, preferably a reliable one
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/blog.php?b=166

Old April 18th, 2012, 07:46 AM   #185
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Quote:

Yes please, preferably a reliable one that doesn't contradict itself
(or come from an idiot with a horn for Hardleys & goldwings)
They ninjettes brights are not that bright at all... Ive never pissed anyone off with my brights on during the day. In fact no one even knows they are "brights" I think your eyes must be to sensitive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
thanks I knew there has been a few studies done..

Also I know youre an older gentleman so you most likely didnt take the MSF course but they pretty much drilled it into us that you need to keep your brights on during the day.

Paging @gfloyd2002 for back up, the safety man extraordinaire...

Old April 18th, 2012, 08:31 AM   #186
Whiskey

Quote:
They ninjettes brights are not that bright at all... Ive never pissed anyone off with my brights on during the day. In fact no one even knows they are "brights" I think your eyes must be to sensitive...

thanks I knew there has been a few studies done..

Also I know youre an older gentleman so you most likely didnt take the MSF course but they pretty much drilled it into us that you need to keep your brights on during the day.

Paging @gfloyd2002 for back up, the safety man extraordinaire...
€20 to change each bulb, and with the quality of roads where I'm from cheap bulbs generally don't last long. It was one of the first things I changed on the bike

I've seen that study so many times over the last 6 months or so...
The NZ study didn't make any distinction between low beam on (makes sense & is what I ride with) vs high beam on (the one angled up that pisses others off ), when it came to it's conclusions, it just recorded that 6 times more riders had the low beam on than the high, and riders with a headlight on were less likely to be involved in a crash than riders with no lights.

How old do you think I am?

MSF is american only, so no I didn't do that course.

Old April 18th, 2012, 09:54 AM   #187
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Quote:
€20 to change each bulb, and with the quality of roads where I'm from cheap bulbs generally don't last long. It was one of the first things I changed on the bike

I've seen that study so many times over the last 6 months or so...
The NZ study didn't make any distinction between low beam on (makes sense & is what I ride with) vs high beam on (the one angled up that pisses others off ), when it came to it's conclusions, it just recorded that 6 times more riders had the low beam on than the high, and riders with a headlight on were less likely to be involved in a crash than riders with no lights.

How old do you think I am?

MSF is american only, so no I didn't do that course.
reading fail on my part. my apologies I didnt see you lived in the UK

btw, I just rode by a few CHP officers here with my brights on. They didnt even give me a second glance. Honestly I have never seen anyone pissed off because of it so to me its a moot point. My DRL is so dull that I would be frightened to not run the hibeam during the day.

I am going to guess you are in your 40s?

Old April 18th, 2012, 10:01 AM   #188
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
I feel like my 650 low beam is pointed too high and shines in peoples faces at night. Lights in my face piss me the **** off. Now, I think low beams are all that's needed, when I'm in my car I see those on motorcycles. And when I see cars that have their low beams on during the day I usually think they are motorcycles. Low beams still make you noticeable during the day and I think having the highbeams on is unnecessary. I don't think I've ever been bothered by headlights during the day, it's only at night and if someone is driving behind with lights shining in my face, I will get behind them and put my highbeams on just to make them aware of what they are doing.
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2012, 10:03 AM   #189
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Name: William

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja ZX-6R B/W

Every bike i see in my county seems to use their low beams except for the squids, which I've been seeing a lot of lately... But i usually notice bikes regardless of their light intensity tbh.
Falcor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2012, 10:04 AM   #190
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
I must be seeing it in my mind wrong because what you described sounds backwards. When I picture a 2 lane road with a normal intersection and a car waiting in front of me with another car in the opposing lane waiting to turn left, I see more of the car in front me blocking any possible sighting of me if I'm on the right. If I'm on the left then there is less car blocking me from being seen by people on my left (the oncoming traffic). So this is very confusing with what you're trying to say. Any way you can make a drawing of some kind to explain what you are seeing?
For you folks NOT in the UK...

In the attached picture you will see a blue box waiting to turn left. There is a green box opposing him also waiting to turn left. Green is blocking Blue's view of oncoming traffic. The red and green arrows are motorcycles, one in the blind spot on the left side of the lane, the green arrow / motorcycle can be seen because he's in the right side of the lane. Notice the thin blue line that represents Blue's line of sight. See how much further back in the lane blue can see if you are in the right side of your lane?

Hope this is clear. Hope it helps someone avoid a left turn smashup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg be in the left side of lane.jpg (74.9 KB, 51 views)

Old April 18th, 2012, 10:19 AM   #191
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
@massacremasses: I crossed Whiskey's path a few weeks back! The ninjette world is no longer so lonely
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2012, 10:44 AM   #192
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcor View Post
Every bike i see in my county seems to use their low beams except for the squids, which I've been seeing a lot of lately... But i usually notice bikes regardless of their light intensity tbh.
so squids use their hibeams eh? dang those squids must have gone to the MSF course and followed instructions...

Old April 18th, 2012, 10:47 AM   #193
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Quote:
so squids use their hibeams eh? dang those squids must have gone to the MSF course and followed instructions...
Eh, I've always had problems explaining things. I meant i see people use their low beams, while squids don't use their lights.

Old April 18th, 2012, 10:47 AM   #194
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
But i usually notice bikes regardless of their light intensity tbh.
That's because you're looking out for them now that you're looking for a bike. The general population isn't always so aware of their surroundings to notice motorcyclists

Old April 18th, 2012, 10:49 AM   #195
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Quote:
Eh, I've always had problems explaining things. I meant i see people use their low beams, while squids don't use their lights.
haha got ya dude.

I thought you might mean that but then figured you didnt cause most bikes now have their low beams on constantly.

Quote:
That's because you're looking out for them now that you're looking for a bike. The general population isn't always so aware of their surroundings to notice motorcyclists
^boom

same thing as if you buy a car you almost never see. Then you buy it and everyone including your grandma has it.. .and youre like WTF!?

Old April 18th, 2012, 10:49 AM   #196
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Quote:
Mhm, i saw a camry almost rear end this poor chick on what appeared to be a red ninja 250 trying to make a right turn. Was literally maybe a foot and half away from her rear tire before they stopped.

Old April 18th, 2012, 11:21 AM   #197
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ai4px View Post
For you folks NOT in the UK...

In the attached picture you will see a blue box waiting to turn left. There is a green box opposing him also waiting to turn left. Green is blocking Blue's view of oncoming traffic. The red and green arrows are motorcycles, one in the blind spot on the left side of the lane, the green arrow / motorcycle can be seen because he's in the right side of the lane. Notice the thin blue line that represents Blue's line of sight. See how much further back in the lane blue can see if you are in the right side of your lane?

Hope this is clear. Hope it helps someone avoid a left turn smashup.

I thought about that scenario later and figured out I missed where you said "in front on the side" of you. After realizing that, I saw what you meant. Thanks for the photo too, that really paints the proper picture. I would totally agree with you in that case. You just have gauge the situation and the position of all the obstacles in order to choose the proper lane position.

Old April 19th, 2012, 08:01 PM   #198
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Quote:

Hmm, odd. The MTO course here, (gov. sanctioned) is based on the US MSF including the use of their written material and video. Highbeams were a big discussion in our class and it was pointed out that people should be riding defensively, like they're invisible so there's no need for highbeams when behind cars.

On a sidenote, we had to skip over the MSF part of the video that talks about alcohol and how much is okay...YIKES!!
Not allowed in Canada at all when you're in the first stages. Hopefully not ever but that goes to show that the US MSF is not exactly perfect.

Interesting topic even though it's a wee swerve off topic...

Old April 19th, 2012, 08:10 PM   #199
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Kinda feel like all of this belongs in :http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=101490

Old April 19th, 2012, 09:19 PM   #200
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
I have two
  • "Does it have NOS?"
  • "Can I ride it?"