ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old October 3rd, 2015, 06:38 PM   #1
Deathjunior
ninjette.org member

Name: George

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250

Ninja 250 no neutral light, goes into gear, won't move

So I picked up this ninja 250 as a project bike a 2005 ex250f. Its my first motorcycle. When I picked it up the one thing I knew was the transmission worked. Tried to ride it, found out the front brake didn't work, and the back brake only had 1 functioning piston so when it jumped out of 1st is went about 3 feet into a fence and fell over. I had to repaint and rebuild it all anyway so no harm no fowl. So i picked it up put it in the garage and spent the next 2 months in my spare time working on it. I've basically rebuilt the bike from the ground up into a street-fighter. I finally took care of the last engine issues and I thought I had it done and I was ready to ride.

Now issue number 1 even with a brand new bulb into the neutral light slot the light never lights up, but I figured perhaps the neutral light is just stuck.

Issue 2 and this is the big one because after basically rebuilding everything and thinking my new bike was complete. I put on my helmet, jacket, gloves got my friend that has a 250 to walk me through stuff. I put the bike into gear first with a healthy clunk and slowly let off the clutch.......and nothing happened. I don't mean clutch slipping and not moving, just straight up nothing no noise no sounds just sits there idling as if its still in neutral. So I pushed the bike back into the garage and will hopefully have time to work on it wednesday.

The only post I have found after a lot of searching that had the same issues as me the guy took his bike to a kawasaki dealership and they said that it was the kickstand safety switch. They changed the switch and it worked again. I can't for the life of me figure out how that would work since I thought the whole clutch/trans was mechanical. I figured the only thing the safety switch did was cut out the engine whenever you tried to put it in gear of it though the kickstand was down. Another worry I had was that I didn't tighten the clutch springs down enough but I put them to 87 ft lbs like the service manual says?

Please shoot me any help you can give I'm getting worn out of working on it, I was hoping I was finished. I'm going to replace the cam chain (its stretched) and the tension side cam chain guide while I'm at so at least that will get done but I'd like to make this the last time I'm inside the engine for a while.

Thanks for any help
-DeathJunior
Deathjunior is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2015, 08:57 PM   #2
xXecuterXx2
ChocolateMilk Addict

Name: Maurice

Motorcycle(s): '05 EX-250 "Kallie" 85 KLT 110 ATC "Murdock"

Well, I doubt it could be the side stand switch, if i engage the clutch on my bike the rpms dive until it dies (less than 1.5 seconds). So being that it idled, the side stand wouldn't be my first guess..

Old October 3rd, 2015, 09:01 PM   #3
verboten1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
If the clutch cable is adjusted too tight, it won't allow the clutch to engage.

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2015, 09:16 PM   #4
Deathjunior
ninjette.org member

I'm beginning to think maybe its no fully engaging the clutch when i let off of the clutch lever. I got worried about messing something up so I had an experienced friend sit at the controls. When I loosened the clutch just a bit more I got a whining noise. Fearing something was having issues I'd have him kill the motor. Perhaps I was just being stupid. If the clutch cable is to loose all it should do is keep the clutch fully engaged right? So by that logic I might have the clutch cable to tight. I'm going to try and loosen the cable up. Now that I'm thinking about it the engine noise didn't change when I let off of the clutch either. Here's me hoping.

You'd figure I'd have thought of all of this but I was so frustrated that I guess I didn't think straight. I'll report back with results

Old October 3rd, 2015, 09:24 PM   #5
xXecuterXx2
ChocolateMilk Addict

Lol Verb beat ya to it

Old October 3rd, 2015, 09:53 PM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathjunior View Post
.................. I put the bike into gear first with a healthy clunk and slowly let off the clutch.......and nothing happened. I don't mean clutch slipping and not moving, just straight up nothing no noise no sounds just sits there idling as if its still in neutral...........
Welcome, George !!!

It is all mechanical: the crankshaft rotates and makes the transmission rotate.

The gear selector moves the selector parts to engage different gears or none when in Neutral.

The clutch semi-disconnect the crankshaft and the transmission; never completely because the drag of the oil between the discs.

Forget about the clutch.
Put the bike on the center stand and manipulate the gear selector between Neutral and First while you make the rear wheel rotate forward.

Tell us what you find.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2015, 06:33 PM   #7
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
You removed the clutch? Did you index the basket correctly?

Most articles don't mention that.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2015, 09:29 PM   #8
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Welcome, George !!!

Forget about the clutch.
Put the bike on the center stand and manipulate the gear selector between Neutral and First while you make the rear wheel rotate forward.

Tell us what you find.
Just in case there's any missunderstanding; I'm guessing Motofool wants you to do the above with the engine off! To see if the rear wheel will rotate whether in gear or in neutral. Can you turn the rear wheel when it is in neutral? (Hopefully; yes) Can you turn the rear wheel when it is in gear? (Hopefully; no)
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2015, 12:06 AM   #9
xXecuterXx2
ChocolateMilk Addict

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=185340

Just gonna leave this here...

Old October 5th, 2015, 12:59 AM   #10
f0r54ken
ninjette.org member

Name: Ash

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki ninja ex250 2007

Hey, You probably already checked this, but did you check that the neutral detector and the cable going to it? I'm not sure what year your bike is but before 2008 has it behind the chain plate. Just a thought. cause I accidentally unplugged that and it sh1t on my whole shifting system.
f0r54ken is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2015, 02:32 PM   #11
Deathjunior
ninjette.org member

Well I still have no neutral light but the bikes driving. Turns out the clutch wasn't indexed I followed the 250 pregen post and it didn't mention anything about indexing. Luckily a post on this forum did so now it drives. Though now another issue has reared its ugly head. The bike starts fine when its cold and runs great. However when it warms up if it sits for to long (like 15-20 minutes) and if I stall it trying to take off it won't start. It turns over but its as if its not getting fuel. Any suggestions?

Old April 11th, 2019, 02:48 PM   #12
Jbouchard132687
Jennifer

Name: Jennifer

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki ninja 250r

To the person who said "did u try rocking the it?" THANK YOU. Solved!

I saw someone else mentioned this.. I thought "yeah I dont think rockin the bike will solve whatevers going on.. but I'm down to try whatever at this point" and SOB it worked!. This only works if u take these steps in order though..dont know why but I know I went through everything else & THIS was the culprit.. so hope this helps;
If the bikes dash lights are turning on, but it will not shift into neutral & will not start- DO NOT leave the ignition in the ON position while u are trying to troubleshoot or u may end up draining the battery & that's just going to make this whole process of seeking a solution that much harder/complicated. So before u try anything too drastic try this under-1-minute route. Even to just rule it out if nothing else;

-with the ignition OFF, BUT make sure the kickstand is fully extended (I'm short.. my bike is lowered so I sometimes dont realize it's not fully extended.. maybe nobody else has that issue)
-rock your bike as far forward as u can while it's in gear; do not pull in the clutch.. it's only gunna rock 2-3 inches forwards..ROCK IT AS FAR FORWARD AS IT WILL ROCK.
-then, still without pulling in the clutch, rock it as far backwards as u can.
-repeat a few times. aggressive rocks too just to make sure you're hitting the full reach to trigger whatever it is that it triggers.. u might hear a little click sound & that's good..
-turn the ignition on.. now try to shift into neutral.
If you got your bike into neutral then try to start it..

If it started then GREAT.
if it didnt well then it was worth a shot..

If u have recently installed new levers maybe check to make sure that little button thingy under the clutch didnt slip outta place..

Or that u didnt hit the kill during the troubleshooting process..

All of these have things have happened to me since I bought my ninja.. but im a new rider so I'll bet most of u already knew all of that info I just typed.. but maybe it will help someone someday! Either way.. I hope everyone finds their solutions & ride safe xo♡
Jbouchard132687 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2019, 11:20 PM   #13
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Glad you got it solved!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote