Notices

Old November 1st, 2016, 02:57 PM   #1
Z1R rider
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 1978 Z1R, 1999 EX250

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Oct '16
What're the chances....tell your story

At last Labor Day track day the boys and myself were leaving the paddock for the first session. On the way out I happened to glance down and noticed a sheet rock screw laying on the paddock out road. "Note to self, when we get back in, go pick that up!" As soon as we pit, we all check tire pressure to see how much they've gained, #3 son says "I lost 3 pounds!?" That jogs my memory to go pick up the screw, but I can't find it now......it's in the son's new Dunlop Alpha rear, only 2 days + 1 session on it!!

Old November 1st, 2016, 03:42 PM   #2
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
good thing you caught that before things went wrong

once upon a time when I was a street squid I crashed on a back road in the woods in the middle of nowhere. As it turned out I crashed right in front of an EMT who was doing yard work on the edge of her property near the road (houses are several hundred feet away from the road) Got immediate treatment and rode to work an hour later to show up about half an hour late

Old November 1st, 2016, 04:22 PM   #3
Flying
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

I once lowsided in some gravel and somehow broke my key:
Flying is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 2nd, 2016, 03:50 AM   #4
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Flying, that one made me laugh my ass off. That really sucks, but man is that funny.

I was riding to school and I noticed a guy was in the center divider, looking to cross the other half of the street. He had a clear shot to the other side of the road, but right as he was going, I held my hand out to give him a high-five on a weird impulse. He'd already started running, but he stopped, turned around, and gave me a gnarly high-five with excellent reaction time.

Bonus story in the cage:

I was driving home in the middle of the night on an old road that has a lot of deer on it. Naturally, I was going 5 under the speed limit. The guy behind me wanted to go faster, and was edging closer and closer to my bumper to make me aware of this, but there's nowhere for me to pull off to the side to let him pass. Sure enough, deer in the road. I brake as well as I can, and so does he. I stop a few feet in front of the deer, while he has to turn with his brakes locked to avoid hitting me. Somehow, nobody hit anything, and when he finally caught up to me again (his car was sideways in the oncoming lane), he gave me some distance this time
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 26th, 2016, 01:34 PM   #5
Mechanikrazy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): Thruxton R, R6 450 triple, EX300 (sold)

I have an extremely short (~15 minute commute). I was leaving work last week, and my clutch freeplay seemed excessive. Rode two blocks away, and my mind told me that it was getting worse, so I stopped to adjust the freeplay. Backed it out some, but each pull felt worse. That's when I hopped off and looked. The cable was down to two strands.

It's only 15 minutes, I said, I can just clutchless shift it home and it will be fine.

I then hit traffic for the first time in months, and it took me 25 minutes to get home while nervous about my clutch cable the entire time.
Mechanikrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2016, 03:22 PM   #6
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Ha yes, I've ridden clutchless a few times. Last time it was easy, but I remember pushing my '72 H2 up to trotting speed so I could jump on and get it into 1st. A few stop signs and red lights will wear you out.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2016, 03:44 PM   #7
Mechanikrazy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): Thruxton R, R6 450 triple, EX300 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Ha yes, I've ridden clutchless a few times. Last time it was easy, but I remember pushing my '72 H2 up to trotting speed so I could jump on and get it into 1st. A few stop signs and red lights will wear you out.
That is intense! Haha. I was not going that far. I've been told the 300 will crank and pull in 1st. If that didn't work, I was just going to park it. Thankfully, I was able to nurse it home by minimizing clutch usage as much as possible.
Mechanikrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2016, 12:33 AM   #8
shift957
ninjette.org member

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): R6, SV 650, 300, 250, 250 xc-w

Back in October 1999, went dirt biking with 2 young friends (17 and 15) at Peter's Mill in the George Washington National Forest. I was a noob and this place had some rocky gnarly stuff fora noob. We rode all morning without seeing anyone else out there, except in parking lots. I managed to crash *really badly* on a fire road going 25ish. I think I hit a bowling ball sized rock in a corner -- don't remember from about several seconds before the crash.

When I came to, I was calm and knew I was f****d up pretty good. Couldn't move, was in shock -- finger tips turning blue and black, 5" deep puncture in my right hip and a broken right cheek (displaced) and other minor injuries. Just so happens, I crashed near 3 or 4 guys on quads who saw what happened. They came to help. Amazingly, one of them had a cell phone -- not a common thing back in '99 -- and even more amazingly, he had enough service in this mountain to call 911 to have me hum-vee'd out to an ambulance, down the mountain to an air lift.

To this day, I feel like all the stars were aligned and someone didn't want me to die that day.
shift957 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2016, 05:54 AM   #9
Mohawk
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): ZZR250, VFR800

I was a motorcycle courier once & one day after dropping off a delivery in a dead end street I had to do a U turn in the road, it was a windy day & just as I got half way round in the road, a crisp packet (chips to you Americans) blew under my front wheel & the inside of those is oily, so tyre gripped packet, road gripped other side, but bike went straight down due to the grease between the sheets What the F**k ? Packet was still stuck to tyre, which is how I found out ! Whats the odds ? Lucky no damage as no mph fall with me acting as a crash mat for the bike !
Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote