ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old February 17th, 2019, 10:27 AM   #1
Sylar
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Mateusz

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250 gpx

2001 ninja wont start after winter

Engine cranks but it wont start. Choke or open throttle dont make any difference. Cam timing is ok. valve clearence is ok. there is no residue in carburator (drained them and the fuel was clean). Fuel in tank is from october Spark plugs have 1000 km. Battery is brand new and good. The bike was ok before winter. Planning to check spark plugs and ignition wires. Any other ideas ??
Sylar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2019, 11:39 AM   #2
Z1R rider
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 1978 Z1R, 1999 EX250

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Oct '16
Don't know about the gas there, but here in the States in can go bad in a month or 2. The "choke" isn't really a choke, it's an enrichener circuit and needs the throttle closed all the way to make the mixture richer. I've had to clean my carbs after a winter storage before, make sure your getting fuel through the carbs, and getting spark.

PS: welcome

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 17th, 2019, 11:50 AM   #3
Sylar
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z1R rider View Post
, make sure your getting fuel through the carbs,
I drained the carb bowls and then after trying to start engine they wer filled up. I assume this means petcock is not a problem here and is working fine, but is this mean that fuel is getting thru the carbs to combustion chamber ??

sorry for poor english

ps been so long here as a reader that i felt here like home and forget to say hallo

Old February 17th, 2019, 12:07 PM   #4
ducatiman

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
"fuel from October"

Try first.....dump the old fuel (including what is in the carb bowls) ...fill with fresh!
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 17th, 2019, 03:02 PM   #5
Z1R rider

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 1978 Z1R, 1999 EX250

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
I drained the carb bowls and then after trying to start engine they wer filled up. I assume this means petcock is not a problem here and is working fine, but is this mean that fuel is getting thru the carbs to combustion chamber ??

sorry for poor english

ps been so long here as a reader that i felt here like home and forget to say hallo
I'll guarantee your English is better than my Polish!!

Do as ducatiman says and start with fresh fuel. It's a good sign that the carb bowls are filling with fuel, but that does not mean the fuel is getting through the carb passages which feed into the intake (hose between the carb and the head) and on to the cylinders. If you crank on it for 15 or 20 seconds and pull a spark plug you should be able to see that the electrodes are wet with fuel or at least smell gas on them. If not you'll need to clean the carbs.

Old February 18th, 2019, 08:51 AM   #6
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
As noted - drain the tank and floatbowls and refill with fresh gas.

Chances are that's all it is.

Make sure the battery is fully charged because you will need to crank to produce vacuum to open the petcock and fill the floatbowls.

Try different throttle openings and choke settings if it doesn't fire after a bit, and charge the battery between attempts.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2019, 09:14 AM   #7
Sylar
ninjette.org newbie

Ok soooo spark plugs are ok spark plug wires are ok the fuel is getting into combustion chamber. The fuel is fresh and it wont even try to start..... Any ideas ??

Edit:
pissed off went to store and buy autostart. And it run for about 2 - 3 sekonds then died. Tried again but it did nothing (think battery was already tired). Right now im charging battery. Correct me if im wrong but if it will run again for short periods of time on autostart and then died it will mean that carburator is guilty here and even if it gives fuel it is not properly sprayed and mixed with air ??

Old February 19th, 2019, 11:58 AM   #8
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
If it pops and runs on Starting Fluid it means you aren't getting fuel.

If you have confirmed there is fuel in the floatbowls, the chances are good the jets are plugged.

If you didn't add stabilizer to the gas or drain the floatbowls before storing there's a pretty good chance that's the issue.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2019, 12:03 PM   #9
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
immediately stop the use of starting fluid....doesn't play well with plastic slides......clear the carb circuits instead

Old February 19th, 2019, 12:29 PM   #10
Sylar
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiman View Post
immediately stop the use of starting fluid....doesn't play well with plastic slides......
Ok i dont use it again. "plastic slides" - i dont know which element this is. Could you explain ??

Old February 19th, 2019, 03:21 PM   #11
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
przepustnica or poślizgnąć się in your language? I try

the black plastic throttle valve...slider that goes up and down when you open/close the throttle

the plastic could be damaged by the autostart (starting fluid)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg slide250.JPG (116.9 KB, 3 views)

Old February 19th, 2019, 04:03 PM   #12
Sylar
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiman View Post
przepustnica or poślizgnąć się in your language? I try
https://joemonster.org/filmy/96118/P..._Kanady_mowili 00:10 - poślizgnąć się in my language xD

I ve always thought that that kind of valves should be metal due to rough conditions in "engine environment"

Old February 20th, 2019, 06:53 AM   #13
Cafe Racer
ninjette.org member

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): Harley Fatboy, Honda CX500, Harley XL1200C Sportster, 305 Honda Dream, Ninja 250

The first thing I would do is check the petcock is working by pulling a vacuum either with a syring, turkey baster or by sucking. If the petcock failed and you are not getting fuel then anything else you try down line is just wasting time and effort.

Next make sure the bowls are full.

I bought a bike that had not run in years. The petcock needed cleaning. After that the carbs needed cleaning. Now it runs perfectly. Oh I also had the dissemble the gas cap and clean that filthy thing. There was corrosion and crap everywhere.
Cafe Racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2019, 08:15 AM   #14
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
he confirmed bowls were filling in post #3, was then advised to clean carbs in #9

Old March 20th, 2019, 10:58 AM   #15
Sylar
ninjette.org newbie

Finally did my carbs. It was all factorys fault xD Bowls were clean jets were clean everything was clean. Everething except mixture screw port. Ther were idel mixture screw plugs in my carburator so the ports and screws were never cleaned and all messy. Also one of the screws were backed out only 2 turns and the other one 2 an 1/4 so they both were out of factory specs out of factory.......

Old March 20th, 2019, 05:28 PM   #16
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Actually, manual states 2-turns out is correct spec for U.S. and CA bikes. So yours was correct and slightly rich on one side. Starting issues was most likely clogged pilot jet due to dried petrol.

What did you set yours to? If set to new-gen spec of 2.5-turns, that will also work. But 0.5 turns difference will not stop engine from starting.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2019, 09:10 AM   #17
Sylar
ninjette.org newbie

I had set them to 2.5 . Before ninja could not idle under 2000 rpm. Now I can set idle even on 1000 rpm and it stay there ( that carb synchronization is yet to be done.)