ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old March 18th, 2019, 12:35 PM   #1
alexhart
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250R

Headlight fuse immediately is blown on startup

Question here.

I am installing new headlight and replacing the Photon BugEye HID headlights that were on there.

The wattage is the same. The new light is a 7 inch universal one I got from Ebay for cheap. It's garbage quality but should work. The connections I have are a low, high beam and then 2 grounds. The new 7 inch just has low, high beam, and one ground.

I have attached everything properly using the ground cables that were already there so they should be correct. Any ideas on why the fuse blows immediately? Headlight doesn't turn on at all.

Could a busted halogen bulb be the problem? It's garbage quality so may have busted. Any ideas would be awesome.
alexhart is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2019, 01:56 PM   #2
NiklasPhabi
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Niklas

Motorcycle(s): 2006 ninja

Fuses generally are supposed to protect from (current) overload of the component.
An (apparent) overload could appear through a short circuit in your wiring.
Do you have a multi-meter handy? Measure the resistance between the 'plus' cables arriving at the headlamp (red-black, red-yellow) and the ground (i.e. either the frame or the black-yellow cable). If this is closer to zero than infinity, you might have a wiring issue.

For reference, the wiring schema might come handy.

While you have the multi meter in hand, check the resistance of the lamp. It should be non-zero and non-infinity.
NiklasPhabi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2019, 06:29 PM   #3
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Simple test is to remove bulb and see if you're still blowing fuse.
Then measure resistance of each filament of bulb.

Please draw us diagram of how you have headlight connected to harness (including wire colours).

To conform to H4 standards, and to protect headlight from cracking, you need to make sure that when highbeam is activated, low-beams turn off. This is actually better for distance viewing as too bright close-up area hinders distance viewing.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2019, 08:06 AM   #4
alexhart
ninjette.org member

I go this bike from a guy who had already done an HID conversion. I will unplug the bulb, I just bought a multimeter, so will see what the problem is. Could it be that I am going from HID to halogen? Not sure if the amps are different and it's just sending too much current to the halogen.

Old March 21st, 2019, 08:53 AM   #5
NiklasPhabi
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Niklas

Motorcycle(s): 2006 ninja

Hey Alex,

your bike should be sending a +-constant voltage to the lamp, the current will change depending on the resistance of the load, i.e. cables plus lamp (Remember Ohm's Law physics classes?). If the lamp or the cables have too low of a resistance, the current to the lamp will exceed the fuse's limit, which will cause it to pop.

Quote:
Simple test is to remove bulb and see if you're still blowing fuse.
Very good idea. Start there!
NiklasPhabi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2019, 10:12 AM   #6
alexhart
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiklasPhabi View Post
Hey Alex,

your bike should be sending a +-constant voltage to the lamp, the current will change depending on the resistance of the load, i.e. cables plus lamp (Remember Ohm's Law physics classes?). If the lamp or the cables have too low of a resistance, the current to the lamp will exceed the fuse's limit, which will cause it to pop.

Very good idea. Start there!

If that is the problem, what would be a fix? Add a resistor or get a higher wattage bulb? I am going from a HID to halogen so that may be the issue because HID requires much more power? I'm just trying to get a headlight working and willing to buy an HID if that would prevent me from having to rewire things. Thanks for the suggestion! Once I kick this cold I'm back out working on it.

Old March 21st, 2019, 12:25 PM   #7
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexhart View Post
I go this bike from a guy who had already done an HID conversion. I will unplug the bulb, I just bought a multimeter, so will see what the problem is. Could it be that I am going from HID to halogen? Not sure if the amps are different and it's just sending too much current to the halogen.
Did you completely remove ALL components of previous HID kit? Most likely there's some hacked crimped-on connections that's incorrect or you've got a loose wire that's shorting to ground.

Best to download wiring-diagram and completely revert wiring to 100% stock.

Old March 21st, 2019, 05:00 PM   #8
alexhart
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Did you completely remove ALL components of previous HID kit? Most likely there's some hacked crimped-on connections that's incorrect or you've got a loose wire that's shorting to ground.

Best to download wiring-diagram and completely revert wiring to 100% stock.
The HID conversion kit is still in there. I think. I didn't install the HID headlight but all I did was unplug the wires from back of HID headlight and then splice those with the new headlight. High beam and low beam connected then both grounds to single ground on headlight. I have no knowledge of amperage and shorts and all that so I was flying blind

Would it just be easier to buy an HID headlight if that's what was on there before? Then I could just leave conversion kit thing in there and connect like normal, right? Or am i totally off base.

Old March 22nd, 2019, 04:39 AM   #9
Z1R rider

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 1978 Z1R, 1999 EX250

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Oct '16
Quote:

Would it just be easier to buy an HID headlight if that's what was on there before?

Old March 22nd, 2019, 11:22 AM   #10
DannoXYZ

Quote:
The HID conversion kit is still in there. I think. I didn't install the HID headlight but all I did was unplug the wires from back of HID headlight and then splice those with the new headlight. High beam and low beam connected then both grounds to single ground on headlight. I have no knowledge of amperage and shorts and all that so I was flying blind

Would it just be easier to buy an HID headlight if that's what was on there before? Then I could just leave conversion kit thing in there and connect like normal, right? Or am i totally off base.
If you are driving halogen bulb which is designed for +12v input with HID system which outputs +20000v, there's problem. You need to remove ALL of HID system in order to get your headlight working. Here's link to wiring-diagram:

https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Wiring...s_%26_diagrams

1. Under head-tube of bike on left, find harness bundle with three longest wires for headlights:
- blk/yel = ground
- red/yel = low-beam
- red/blk = high-beam

2a. Follow these wires forward. Does it end in 3-terminal H4 headlight connector? If so, remove everything after this H4 connector as that's the HID kit. Or...

2b. If 3-terminal H4 headlight connector has been cut off and wires spliced into HID kit, undo splice and remove everything after splice. Get replacement H4 headlight connector and butt-splice back into original wires to restore back to factory condition

3. Plug H4 connector into back of halogen headlight bulb.

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; March 22nd, 2019 at 12:25 PM.

Old March 22nd, 2019, 12:28 PM   #11
DannoXYZ

This is what you want, just H4 bulb-connector and H4 bulb in your 7" headlight. Everything else, disconnect, cut-off and remove.

Old March 24th, 2019, 06:50 PM   #12
alexhart
ninjette.org member

Update Solved:

I pulled out all the cabling that led to the headlight connection. I have no idea what happened but I plugged it in, replaced the fuse and bam it's working perfectly now.

I initially attached the high beam which worked but then when I would switch to low-beam it would pop the fuse. I replaced the connection points and it works now. I....guess it was just "one of those things" but it's working and everything is secured so

Old March 24th, 2019, 09:13 PM   #13
DannoXYZ

By replacing "connection points", do you mean you replaced metal terminals?
Or just disconnected and re-connected existing terminals?
Could be something wasn't plugged in correctly before.

Bike looks much better with 7" headlight than those robot eyes before!