ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 7th, 2019, 10:04 AM   #1
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250r(SOLD) 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r full Muzzy(my pride and joy)

Changing shifter and linkage....

Ok so I will be installing a new shifter and linkage on my 2006. It’s OEM used off eBay but in great shape. Mine got bent and now won’t shift gears properly. Out of all the various work I’ve done on my bikes I’ve never done this. It looks super easy however if anyone has any advice to make it go smoother I’ll take it. You guys are always so great and I really appreciate all the advice!
-AJ

Old April 7th, 2019, 02:32 PM   #2
jrshooter
ninjette.org guru

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): ninja 300

its easy. make sure to use loctite. and for the jamb nuts on the shift rod, once tite, dab some silicone over the nuts to keep them from backing out.
jrshooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2019, 05:42 PM   #3
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250r(SOLD) 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r full Muzzy(my pride and joy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrshooter View Post
its easy. make sure to use loctite. and for the jamb nuts on the shift rod, once tite, dab some silicone over the nuts to keep them from backing out.
I figured. I still appreciate the feedback. First time for everything but at least this is easy

Old April 7th, 2019, 09:26 PM   #4
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quick time-saving thing is to pound flat the old shift-rod and measure its length. Then set up new one to same length.

I also keep couple extra rods in toolbox for fixes at track (or help other racers). And some extra rod-ends as well. I'll pre-configure proper length for my bike so it's quick matter to replace.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2019, 06:11 AM   #5
ducatiman

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrshooter View Post
suggest to use BLUE medium strength , NOT red high strength (which requires heat to remove, way overkill in this application)
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2019, 09:22 AM   #6
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Quick time-saving thing is to pound flat the old shift-rod and measure its length. Then set up new one to same length.

I also keep couple extra rods in toolbox for fixes at track (or help other racers). And some extra rod-ends as well. I'll pre-configure proper length for my bike so it's quick matter to replace.
Not sure I’ll have to do all that because it came off the exact same bike as I have even the same color. Matter of fact I bought several extra parts and some plastics from this eBay seller because it came off an identical bike including the guide tube/throttle handle for $6 lol. I mean, you just never know. Sounds like you like having extra parts around as well. Some are really expensive but when you can find the people who sell them dirt cheap it’s so worth stocking up. Bought an extra wiring harness last summer as well because it was $5 and in great condition. Sometimes eBay is amazing. Lol

Old April 12th, 2019, 06:49 AM   #7
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Thanks for the helpful posts. Always appreciate it. Took the old off and put the new on in about 10min MAX and now it shifts like a dream. Now if the lady that knocked my bike over in the parking lot would just stay completely clear of mine and everyone else’s motorcycles, that would great.

Old April 12th, 2019, 07:56 AM   #8
Z1R rider

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 1978 Z1R, 1999 EX250

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
Now if the lady that knocked my bike over in the parking lot would just stay completely clear of mine and everyone else’s motorcycles, that would great.