ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 29th, 2013, 07:35 PM   #1
Gmtec2
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Kawasaki Ninja

Working on a 05, starts and runs, just no throttle

I just got a 05 ninjette from a friend for free. Hasn't ran since 06, cleaned the carbs and got it started but it won't go above idle. I did notice I didn't adjust anything hoping that it wouldn't need to be, but seems like it's running very rich. Any pointers would be appreciated.
Gmtec2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2013, 06:30 AM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Welcome to the site, Dave !!!

Did you check that the throttle is moving in the carburetors when you twist the bar's grip?
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2013, 06:53 AM   #3
Gmtec2
ninjette.org member

Yes. It just Boggs down and it actually stays running without revving. Idle is tough but it does start and run. I'm taking the carb back out and I'm going to make sure the diaphragms aren't misplaced. Also, I didn't pull the caps on the pilot screws, so I'll be doing that also.

Old March 30th, 2013, 07:00 AM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

What about the air intake?

Blocked?
Clean air filter?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 30th, 2013, 09:17 AM   #5
Gmtec2
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
What about the air intake?

Blocked?
Clean air filter?
When I got the bike a week ago, the airbox was removed and I haven't reinstalled it yet because it's missing some pieces. When I took the tank off today, the gas was jus pouring out. It was fine when I drained the gas out of it. I'm wondering if the petcock is stuck.

I did notice when I had it running yesterday(without the air box) there was some small spatters of gas spraying from the back of the carbs. Would that most likely mean it was way too rich?

Old March 30th, 2013, 09:25 AM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

If the float valves are not closing properly, you may have excessive level inside the bowls and even an overflow.

Back splash may be also related to intake valves that are way out of adjustment or not sealing properly.

I would get a repair manual and do some surgery and deep cleaning of everything.

Old March 30th, 2013, 10:38 AM   #7
Gmtec2
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
If the float valves are not closing properly, you may have excessive level inside the bowls and even an overflow.

Back splash may be also related to intake valves that are way out of adjustment or not sealing properly.

I would get a repair manual and do some surgery and deep cleaning of everything.
So I took it apart again, pulled everything out and cleaned it all again. It was never dirty. The bike has 3,000 mikes and was only rode for 1 summer. I replaced one of the float valves because it was frozen. I just started it again and same thing. I lifted the slides up a couple millimeters and all the sudden it started revving and seemed like it was running good. I gave it some throttle and it would just bog down but come back up. IDK what lifting the slides would have to do with anything, but it ran better.

Old April 1st, 2013, 06:07 PM   #8
Gmtec2
ninjette.org member

So what I didn't know was the needle jets were installed on top of the plastic spacers instead of under(I put it back the way I found it). Got it running and now seems like it is running very lean. I'm just curious if the airbox not connected is causing it to rev up on it's own? Came down once and was running great but then went to 4000 o n it's own. Checked the idle adjustment and it was barely on.

Old April 1st, 2013, 06:21 PM   #9
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
it will be extreeeeeemely lean without the airbox on. also examine the fuel enricher (choke) circuit to make sure its shutting off when you turn it off (maybe stuck enricher adjust slide thingy) but first thing i would do is get that airbox back on.

Old April 1st, 2013, 06:51 PM   #10
felo
ninjette.org member

Name: Carlos

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300R

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
it will be extreeeeeemely lean without the airbox on. also examine the fuel enricher (choke) circuit to make sure its shutting off when you turn it off (maybe stuck enricher adjust slide thingy) but first thing i would do is get that airbox back on.
or get some jets for a airbox delete
felo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2013, 06:54 PM   #11
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by felo View Post
or get some jets for a airbox delete
you get more power with a proper tuned airbox

Old April 1st, 2013, 07:13 PM   #12
felo
ninjette.org member

Quote:
you get more power with a proper tuned airbox
Really ? I always though that you get more power with a proper tune air box deleted/air pods

Old April 1st, 2013, 08:14 PM   #13
Gmtec2
ninjette.org member

Quote:
So I got the air box back on and was running frickin great. Once it warmed up though, it revs up to 4000 and won't come down until it cools off. Once it cools, it runs good. The only other thing I see is when I throttle it, it kinda hangs there and comes down slow.

Old April 1st, 2013, 08:20 PM   #14
felo
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmtec2 View Post
So I got the air box back on and was running frickin great. Once it warmed up though, it revs up to 4000 and won't come down until it cools off. Once it cools, it runs good. The only other thing I see is when I throttle it, it kinda hangs there and comes down slow.
Mmm throttle cable not lubed ?

Old April 2nd, 2013, 12:47 AM   #15
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
adjust idle speed, make sure choke is not on. if choke is not working, assume its stuck on