Notices

Old September 17th, 2009, 06:02 PM   #1
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Ninja 250 and Ninja 650?

Hey guys. I was wondering if anyone on this board owns both a Ninja 250 and a 650? I don't want to get rid of my 250 by any means (BOY, is that thing FUN around mountain twisties!! WOW!!), but I'm thinking of getting a 650 as well and was wondering if any of you could offer advice or your experiences with the 650 as compared to the 250.
Thanks so much! Happy weekend, and happy riding! Ally

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2009, 08:46 PM   #2
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
Hey guys. I was wondering if anyone on this board owns both a Ninja 250 and a 650? I don't want to get rid of my 250 by any means (BOY, is that thing FUN around mountain twisties!! WOW!!), but I'm thinking of getting a 650 as well and was wondering if any of you could offer advice or your experiences with the 650 as compared to the 250.
Thanks so much! Happy weekend, and happy riding! Ally
I don't have a 650, but can you tell us why you are thinking about one in addition to your 250? Are you disatisified with the performance of the 250 in some way that you think the 650 would solve?

I have heard good things about the 650.
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2009, 10:31 PM   #3
650cat
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Lisa

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki W650, '07 650R, '06 650R, 250R sold. Aprilia RS125.

I've got both. The 650 is a nice step up from the 250. It has decent power but it not a huge leap like a 600 would be. It has served me well as a commuter, canyon runner and track/race bike. Light touring would be fine too. It has a taller seat height than the SV650 but the Ninja 650 is very narrow so it seems lower.

Feel free to ask more questions. I have done a ton of test rides over the last few years. I'll put my 2 cents in on just about anything. I can talk bikes all day and all night...
Former WSMC #802. I ride because I still can!!!
650cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2009, 03:38 AM   #4
Nny
ninjette.org member

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): Yamaha R6 (street), GSXR 750 (track) and a Harley FXDB

I have both in the garage as well. Both are great bikes.
Like Lisa said, I can talk bikes all night. Fire away with some questions.

Previous rides: Ninja 650, Ninja 250, Goldwing and a Nightster
Nny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2009, 06:59 AM   #5
camaroz1985
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nny View Post
I have both in the garage as well. Both are great bikes.
Like Lisa said, I can talk bikes all night. Fire away with some questions.
You bought 3 new bikes this year?
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2009, 08:07 AM   #6
Nny
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroz1985 View Post
You bought 3 new bikes this year?
LOL I knew that was going to come up.
not to hijack the thread..but.

I had some money saved up for something else. It turns out my girlfriend and I cant do what I was saving up for. I had been saving for some time so it was a nice downpayment.

I gave my girlfriend my ninja 250 for her vento 250. I traded her vento in for a ninja 650. Simply put we are both very happy with the decision. I get a ninja 650 and she gets a better bike. Of course I still get to ride the 250. Wasnt going to trade in the 250 for a 650...

So between the two bikes I own, I basically have a monthly payment equal to a somewhat new but cheap car.

My name is Zach and I am addicted to motorcycles.

PS. 09 ninja 650 was 5500. OTD was a bit over 6000. Was a very nice offer that was hard to refuse. Trade in was decent.

Old September 18th, 2009, 09:25 AM   #7
camaroz1985

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

What about the Harley?

Old September 18th, 2009, 09:31 AM   #8
Nny
ninjette.org member

The 250, everything is in my girlfreinds name.
The Harley and the 650 are mine. Those are the only two I am making payments on.

Old September 18th, 2009, 11:22 AM   #9
camaroz1985

Ok now I understand

Back on topic. I too was interested in the 650, but I'm leaning more towards the Versys (ok pretty much dead set on it). While very similar the Versys has better suspension, and I'm looking more at sport touring. I know the Ninja can do it, I just think it may be more comfortable on the Versys. The styling is kind of polarizing, but I kind of like it. Besides I will spend way more time riding it than looking at it.

Old September 18th, 2009, 02:11 PM   #10
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Thanks and a few questions!! ;)

Thank you all for the responses.
After taking my 250 through the Smoky Mts (including the Cherohola Skyway {WOWOWOW!} and the Dragon), I would REALLY like more passing power. My 250 was incredible in the twisties and so easy to flick back and forth...boy was it FUN! I'm wondering if the 650 is just as easy in curves? Obviously, I know it's a lot heavier, so I figure it won't be quite as flickable, but I'm wondering how it compares. It was soooo frustrating, though, when I would get behind people in the curves and couldn't quite enjoy them the way I wanted to until I got around the cars. The 250 obviously has a tougher time getting around cars within a very short sight distance.
Also, this may be a silly newb question, but I learned to ride in March, went through the MSF course in June, got my license, and have read the top 4 motorcycling strategies books and really reflected on them and incorporated those strategies into my street riding. I've put about 8,000 miles on my bike, so I've had a good amount of riding time during these few months. With my experience level (and still being pretty new), how long would you guys recommend I ride the new bike before taking it up to the mts. We're planning another trip in a couple of weeks, and I'm considering taking the 250 again rather than my new bike, but I'm on the fence about it. I'm just wondering how long it takes to get truly comfortable with a new bike. Should I ride regular roads for a few weeks first? Or is getting on a 650 like second nature after riding a 250?
We're not getting rid of our 250 though. It's just too much fun to sell! Ally

Old September 18th, 2009, 02:34 PM   #11
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
I'm just wondering how long it takes to get truly comfortable with a new bike. Should I ride regular roads for a few weeks first? Or is getting on a 650 like second nature after riding a 250?
For me, it's not exactly 2nd nature jumping from one bike to another when the bikes are very different. I took the 250 up into the mnts 3 weekends in a row and then took the 100RR up the fourth week and I had to get myself reacquainted to the cbr... and I've been riding this bike on these roads for 5 years. Just make sure you feel that you've made your "adjustments" between the bikes before you let loose
rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2009, 02:48 PM   #12
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Why not take it to the mountains and just not ride at the limit?
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2009, 04:13 PM   #13
ScraitT
Green!

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R, 04 Honda CRF230F, 94 Honda XR80R

I haven't been up there in a couple of years, but don't the majority of the cars in the mountains do around 30-40?

The 250 to me only lacks in passing speed doing 70+ (and even then it can get it done, just slower.

I really doubt the 650 (or even a 600) would make much of a difference in passing a car in the mountain. Accelerating 30 feet around and in front of a car isn't very far. The bigger bikes would definitely do it faster, but I think it would be more about feels faster then doing it in any significant less time. If it takes the ninja 3 seconds to go around a car and a 600 can do it in 2 seconds....are you cutting stuff that close that that small of a time makes a difference?
Also consider when passing on a bigger bike, once you pass the car, would will be doing much faster then you were on the 250, and in the mountains that isn;t always good.

That said, I like the 650's (never rode one) and it will one day probably be my next bike.

Old September 18th, 2009, 05:59 PM   #14
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Talking ScraitT

I got behind a few dump trucks and lines of 2-3 cars that were impossible to pass. Taking a mt corner at 20 mph when my bike could easily take it at 35 is a bit frustrating, especially for miles at a time. The 650, I would assume, will give over 2.5 times the amount of power as my 250. From what I've learned, the 650 is really powerful and strong in the 5-7 RPM, but it redlines early, around 10RPM, so its gears are longer too. Honestly, in the mts, I would LOVE longer gears. On my hubby's 600 CBR, he never had to snick it out of 2nd in the twisties, even for most of the shorter straights, whereas I felt the need to be anywhere from 2nd-4th depending on the tightness of the approaching corners. Constantly down/upshifting was a bit limiting. It would be great (in my opinion) to be on a bike with longer gears, especially when going from straights to tight corners.
For passing power and longer gears, I think a 650 may be my perfect bike. Don't get me wrong though...I am in love w/ my 250 and will NEVER want to stop riding it permanently! It is SUCH a nimble bike in the corners! Wow! I LOVE my bike! Ally
PS. I've posted action shots of me on the Dragon on the "pictures" section of this forum in the "girls on bikes rock" thread, the last page.

Old September 18th, 2009, 06:14 PM   #15
ScraitT
Green!

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R, 04 Honda CRF230F, 94 Honda XR80R

Less gear changes I definitely agree upon
I really like the new 650s and would be all over one if I had the money...unfortunately when I do decide that, the 250 will go due to lack of space But that wont be for a while.

If your husband has a 600 though, it might be easier to stay with him on a 650. The 250 has plenty of power to stay with someone riding a 600 (sanely) IF your in the right gear. The 650 should have enough power to be in 5th at 40mph and just GO when needed, where as the 250 you would need to downshift. I think that fact alone would make ridding with him a little easier.

Old September 18th, 2009, 07:46 PM   #16
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Passing slow traffic in mountainous terrain is probably one of the only times where the limited power on our 250's really does affect the permitted riding style. On the upside, it means that we have to plan our passes that much better, and allow that much more space and time before committing to the pass. Encouraging that extra planning margin might make for safer riding in general. But with a bit of extra power when you do pull out to pass, it could more than likely be accomplished that much quicker, easier, and less stressful than otherwise. While riding on its own the ninjette can be kept at supra-legal speeds in almost any conditions, it's up to the rider to maintain that momentum as if you do get caught back down to dawdling behind slow traffic, it takes that much longer to build the speed back up again. Especially in particularly mountainous and twisty areas.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2009, 07:49 PM   #17
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photo...reboltXB9R.htm

Going price is around $3500-$4000 on the used market.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2003-Buell-Blast-FireboltXB9R.jpg (67.9 KB, 7 views)
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2009, 03:54 PM   #18
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Well, got the 650 today! I was only able to ride it about 4 miles to get gas b/c we've been in some heavy rain the past week here, and today was no exception. However, even with such a small amount of riding on the new bike, I LOVE it! I can't wait to take it out on the first dry day we have! Thanks again for all the advice everyone. When I head to the mts next week, I've decided I'm still going to take my first baby...the 250.

Old September 19th, 2009, 03:57 PM   #19
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
:) Test...this is only a test...no, seriously, that's all it is.

Sorry to hijack my own thread...testing to see if my new avatar pic came through.

Old September 19th, 2009, 04:00 PM   #20
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

pictures? what color is it?

Old September 19th, 2009, 04:03 PM   #21
adouglas
Cat herder

I want to see pics of the new bike that match the awesome pics of your 250!

Old September 19th, 2009, 04:09 PM   #22
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Hey Kim! I'll get pics tomorrow when I have it out of our cramped garage. It's just the basic red though. I really wished they'd made the 08s in a hot yellow. That's what I really wanted...that or pink. lol!

Old September 19th, 2009, 04:12 PM   #23
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Pics :)

Andrew, I'll most likely take the 650 on our October mt trip, so I'll get shots then. I am in LOVE with mountain twisties. I can't imagine taking them on anything other than my flickable 250, but it WILL be nice to have longer gears and more torque to get around people in a quicker time. I'm taking my 250 next week when we go. That there's my baby!
See her go...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kb17ally.jpg (67.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg kb25ally.jpg (89.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg US3allycropped.jpg (41.0 KB, 11 views)

Old September 19th, 2009, 04:14 PM   #24
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
I am in LOVE with mountain twisties.
Two words.

West Virginia.

John Denver was right, when it comes to places to ride.

On my vacation there were lots of roads where the speed limit was 55, but every mile or so there'd be another road sign with a squggly line on it and a recommended speed of 35, 25 or even 15 mph.

Fan-farking-tastic.

Old September 19th, 2009, 04:15 PM   #25
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
John Denver rocks. I've always loved him. There is definitely something about his "Rocky Mountain High" that sounds appealing too.
West Virginia, huh? Got a particular route you favor up there?

Old September 19th, 2009, 04:27 PM   #26
adouglas
Cat herder

For my vacation I basically pulled out maps and looked for the squiggly lines.

I came from Ohio, heading for Fayetteville, where the New River Gorge bridge is. US 60 along there is very nice, and I took a shortcut off of 60 at Chimney Corner, WV for the last five miles or so that was just drop-dead awesome (Google-map it and see for yourself how curvy things are through there).

I stayed in Fayettevile. The next day I headed up US 19 to US 60 again, then east (southeast) to US 219, then north to 250, then east again towards Virginia.

Everything along those roads in WV was fabulous. US250 right after crossing into VA SUCKED because of poor road maintenance. I HATE GRAVEL!!!!

A guy I ran into told me 219 is great all the way up into Maryland.

Old September 19th, 2009, 04:39 PM   #27
noche_caliente

you just weren't in the right part of VA - you were too far north - don't brand the whole state because you chose to ride the 35 mph skyline drive!

Old September 19th, 2009, 04:44 PM   #28
Ramen
Frak It

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

If those tires are new, remember to take it easy until the sheen wears off.

Have fun!
Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2009, 04:47 PM   #29
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by noche_caliente View Post
you just weren't in the right part of VA - you were too far north - don't brand the whole state because you chose to ride the 35 mph skyline drive!
Oh, the Skyline Drive was wonderful!

What SUCKED was US 250, from the WV state line all the way down to Staunton.

Lots of chip seal laid down in steep, shaded areas... which means that the gravel never gets mashed down into the tar and winds up all over the road.

US250 in WV... carving bliss, 50+ mph in the twisties.

US250 in VA... Same terrain, 20-25 mph and a pucker factor of 8+.

In 2600 miles, this stretch of the road was the only time I felt at all nervous.

I won't brand the whole state because of poor conditions on my route, but I have to observe that the same road in WV was in much better shape than it was in VA.

Old September 19th, 2009, 05:04 PM   #30
noche_caliente

which is usually the exact opposite- if you were on 460 you would have found terrible potholes, tar snakes, and crumbing cement in WV, and well-repaired asphalt in VA

Old September 19th, 2009, 05:39 PM   #31
Jacksmeow
ninjette.org member

Name: Gale

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki Ninja 250R; '05 Kawasaki Vulcan 800A, sometimes I ride my husband's '01 GSX-R 600

Quote:
Thank you all for the responses.
After taking my 250 through the Smoky Mts (including the Cherohola Skyway {WOWOWOW!} and the Dragon), I would REALLY like more passing power. My 250 was incredible in the twisties and so easy to flick back and forth...boy was it FUN!
Are you downshifting before you pass? We live close to those roads, and I ride the Cherohala frequently with my husband and his gsxr and have no problem passing and keeping up with him!!! The bike rails thru the curves!!!
Jacksmeow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2009, 07:24 PM   #32
minuslars
ninjette.org member

Name: Arthur

Motorcycle(s): '03 EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
A guy I ran into told me 219 is great all the way up into Maryland.
lol if you're heading north, 219 starts in MD and runs up all the way into up-state NY, not too far from the Canadian border, if I recall. That was my favorite route for driving up to visit family in Toronto. It's a small-towns road. Very scenic.

Also, I've travelled US 250 once or twice and it's pretty quiet out there. You might have hit a quarry-truck route?

I hope to ride to Camp Allegheny one day this fall. It's BEAUTIFUL with the colors.
minuslars is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2009, 07:36 PM   #33
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Sorry to hijack my own thread...testing to see if my new avatar pic came through.

Nice avatar!

Where ya headed off to in October?
rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2009, 06:07 AM   #34
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Two words.

West Virginia.

John Denver was right, when it comes to places to ride.

On my vacation there were lots of roads where the speed limit was 55, but every mile or so there'd be another road sign with a squggly line on it and a recommended speed of 35, 25 or even 15 mph.

Fan-farking-tastic.
I have family near Princeton, WV, and all the GA dealers screwed me out of my bikes (with deposits!), so I visited them and grabbed one of the last '08s from the last shipment right across the border in VA.

Of course, I had to take it right back into the mountains of WV during my break-in. Some of my family had recently moved after the death of a family member so I had to find their new place. Off the highways, it was terrifying. There was gravel on every corner of the road due to constricted lane size forcing passing cars off the road to pass, my Google Maps directions were all wrong, the rural roads were labeled as poorly as possible (how can Country Route 5 possibly go in THREE directions with the proper one unlabled?!), and you couldn't see around any corner when you were winding up a mountain side-street.

On one such road with a car riding my ass (literally only a few feet behind me) and a deep steeply dipping right turn that cut into the side of the mountain leaving a wall of rock and dirt on my right, I decided that I'd rather pull over than get run over when I inevitably encounter gravel and have to stop or slow down. Wouldn't you know... the mountain channeled water down that wall and along the side causing a ditch so I didn't have a place to set my right foot when I pulled over. I didn't want to lean left into the lane with the car so I stopped, then leaned right, and suddenly found my leg freely dangling between the bike and the wall of dirt.

My mirror and bar-end sunk into soft dirt but my tail plastic must have been touching a rock because it has a black mark on the corner. Like my freely-swinging leg, nothing else on the bike was touching anything, including the exhaust. Because the handle bars sunk into the dirt, the lean angle was enough that I couldn't pull it out easily on the first try and the tail ended up rubbing into the dirt/rock until it had that black mark under the paint.

So, yeah... I didn't go down but the WV roads are directly responsible for my only cosmetic damage in 9k miles or riding my Ninjette.

Edit: Oh wait... I forgot about the tiny crack that extend forward from my right blinker and onto my front fairing. I had a bike/cable lock threaded through my tire and steering when I tried to drive off and bent something underneath. They told me it was likely just a headlight mount or something non-structural. I've added thousands of miles since then without issue and no one even notices unless I point it out, despite not even popping it back down (I'd need to take them off and bend whatever it is back).
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2009, 06:20 AM   #35
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Hey Gale. I'm definitely downshifting prior to passing when I need to to get in my power band. I don't know how you do it. My hubby is speedy on his 600. I used the delayed apex/more straight line tracking through corners to shed of a little bit of time, but there's no way I can keep up w/ him b/c he can easily pass lines of traffic and I can't as easily or quickly, and I need more room to do so than he does. Anyway, the good thing is that he and I 'ride our own ride', so I never feel like I have to keep up with him. He waits for me at stopping points, however, I do think it would be fun to have a chance.

Old September 20th, 2009, 06:24 AM   #36
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
October

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
Nice avatar!

Thanks!!

Where ya headed off to in October?
Honestly, we're not sure. The last week in Sept, we're heading back up to the SMokies and will likely ride the Cherohala and the Dragon again along with hwy 28, War Woman Road, etc. In October, we may do more meandering up in the Appalachian area. We'll cross that bridge after the fun that awaits us next weekend! Ally

Old September 20th, 2009, 06:30 AM   #37
noche_caliente

Ally - if you get more up this way, let me know and i can point out some great roads

Old September 21st, 2009, 06:04 AM   #38
Nny
ninjette.org member

First off, congrats on the new bike!

That is one of the selling points on why I bought the 650. There are alot of vehicles here who take some of the twisties at posted turns (20mph on a 20mph posted..etc..etc) and would speed up to 20-25mph over the speed limit in passing zones (65-70 in a 45) and then slow right up again where I cant pass.

I pull over and wait most of the time when that happens, but then you have to get back in the groove and you usually catch up to them pretty quick.

When they see me next to them on the 650 passing them they get the idea pretty quick and let me pass. So I am only speeding enough to pass and nothing rediculous.

The transition to the 650 on twisty roads will be very easy for you. It will be the parking lot maneuvers that may pose a challenge at first. On the 250 it still feels like I was leaning more through the turns. The speedo tells me I am going the same speeds but.. I dont know the 250 just has a bit more fun factor. Alot easier to find the limits of the 250 rather than the 650.

Break in those new tires before you hit some twisties. Even with my stock tires they can feel loose. So there is a limit I give myself through twisty roads. I wont be pushing it till I put better tires on.

The 250 definately has the edge on flickability but the 650 really isnt far off. The 650 is just as capable as the 250.

You will be happy with the choice but I can gauruntee it will be a sad day when you get rid of the 250 if you plan on going that route.

Old November 9th, 2009, 05:54 PM   #39
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Hey all! I just wanted to update this post. I did end up getting a 650, but as you can see from my recent Dragon visit, my 250 is still my favorite bike to take to the mts. I'm not yet comfortable enough on my "Big Ninj" to take it to those kinds of roads. Anyway, I wanted to post a few pics. It was red, but hubby painted it yellow for me. I'm going to get another Ninja sticker for the side (I'm kind of hoping to find a red one to match the red spring. Ally
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new bike 2 (Small).jpg (45.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg new bike (Small).jpg (39.6 KB, 21 views)

Old November 9th, 2009, 06:50 PM   #40
Grn99Kawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Honda CBR600F4 (sold) 1999 Ninja 250 (sold)

wow! A yellow 650R! it looks awesome! I hate red 650s (not a fan of red bikes or cars at all though no offense to anyone).

Get with kevins_garage for the Ninja decals.. they are perfect!

1999 Kawi Racing Green Ninja 250 sold
Grn99Kawi is offline   Reply With Quote