ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > Forum Info > Forum Information

Old June 30th, 2009, 03:07 PM   #41
kkim

no matter what design you finally settle on, you will need to offer it in a selection of colors. One color won't go well on all of the different color bikes. perhaps black or white to start, if you want to keep it simple.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2009, 03:18 PM   #42
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r (Fastest Color)

I like the idea of a dark bronze. Like the color of the forks on this zx-6r
http://www.zpower.com.au/catalog/ima...4428_1_400.jpg

IMHO I think the dark bronze like those on the forks looks good on all the color 250s...just google pics of supersports and you will see a wide variety of colors with bronze forks/disk brakes. I think it would "pop" and add a different color to the bikes.

Just one opinion though. I do think like 5 colors would be good to offer so theres some choice
M-Oorb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2009, 09:43 PM   #43
Verus Cidere
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '91 Honda CBR600 F2

Good points. I think that color is more of a gold bronze, but I do get the idea. The color thing is also up to the designer of each decal, and it'll be up to the forum (eventually) as to which one we get and what different colors we use for it.

*Poll Update* Currently 28 yes, 2 no.

Old June 30th, 2009, 10:53 PM   #44
Nickds7
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Well each color would have to have a complete separate run. It would be cheaper to just do a clear decal with a black or white font. Black would probably look better and I could design it to look fine on a black bike as well.

Sadly there is no actual ninja font. There is a kawasaki font though. I was trying to get as close to the ninja font as possible.

I made a universal (printed on clear, will look good on any color) one that could be printed on clear(or black) and look fine on everything, including the windshield (thats where mine is going )
Black example:

Green example:

(sorry about the large size.. only way to show detail. I did compress to ~20kb each)
(red and blue, you get the idea)
Nickds7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2009, 01:26 AM   #45
Ken08Ninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R Candy Plasma Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickds7 View Post
Well each color would have to have a complete separate run. It would be cheaper to just do a clear decal with a black or white font. Black would probably look better and I could design it to look fine on a black bike as well.

If you ditched the background and just have the text one color it will be alot less then trying to get printed decals made. I can do single color 4"x2" decals for under 5 cents each using either black, white, or silver that I already have. I have not looked for an exact match for the green, blue, or red yet.
Ken08Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2009, 05:37 AM   #46
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r (Fastest Color)

I like the ideā of just the text personally...we'll leave that up to the contest though
Posted via Mobile Device
M-Oorb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2009, 11:17 AM   #47
Nickds7
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken08Ninja View Post
If you ditched the background and just have the text one color it will be alot less then trying to get printed decals made. I can do single color 4"x2" decals for under 5 cents each using either black, white, or silver that I already have. I have not looked for an exact match for the green, blue, or red yet.
If you read that post im saying thats just the example up to 2 different colors. it would be printed on clear.

Old July 1st, 2009, 01:03 PM   #48
Verus Cidere

Nice ideas! This decal looks great. I'd think we'd need at least two colors of text, maybe more, and possibly a reflective one (as alluded to in the poll thread). The background being clear is probably a good idea too.

So Ken, you have access to a sticker printer? Could you deal with an order that was as large as ours is probably going to be? When you say 5 cents, it makes an order of 2000 stickers about $100, plus shipping. I'd call that a very good deal. 750 white, 750 black, and 500 some kind of reflective color? Maybe the silver can be ordered reflective?

Old July 1st, 2009, 01:46 PM   #49
Nickds7
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verus Cidere View Post
Nice ideas! This decal looks great. I'd think we'd need at least two colors of text, maybe more, and possibly a reflective one (as alluded to in the poll thread). The background being clear is probably a good idea too.
Agreed. Maybe make the submission guidelines for the contest to be that they have to have the correct file to be able to change the color of the text/background. So that for variance purposes it can be changed to black/clear/silver. (as in having the .psd .tif and so on)

Old July 1st, 2009, 07:29 PM   #50
Bsmith
ninjette.org member

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250 R.I.P.

I'll point my guy to this thread and he let me know. Ast ot a printed sticker. I'm not liking that. I would prefer a true decal similar to what I already have on my bike. THe decals seem to last longer and are a cleaner look. I'll try to get a pic of mine and post it.
Bsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2009, 12:29 AM   #51
Ken08Ninja
ninjette.org member

Quote:

So Ken, you have access to a sticker printer? Could you deal with an order that was as large as ours is probably going to be? When you say 5 cents, it makes an order of 2000 stickers about $100, plus shipping. I'd call that a very good deal. 750 white, 750 black, and 500 some kind of reflective color? Maybe the silver can be ordered reflective?
I do not have a printer, I bought a vinyl sign cutter to decal my racecars myself. I do not run a sign shop, I just found a deal on the cutter that was less then what it would cost to cut the graphics on my own racecar, truck and trailer after a couple years.
These would be cut out just like the Kawasaki and Ninja decals on the bike now. I could cut them in batches as needed. If people wanted green, blue or red to match the paint or reflective I would have to order a roll after enough people requested them to cover the material. The vinyl is about $3 a yard when I buy a 50 yard roll. Reflective vinyl is about $10 a yard when I buy a 10 yard roll.
I currently have White, Black, Silver, Canary Yellow, Tomato Red, and Saphire Blue.

I have been looking for a outline of the bike similar to the TrailBlazer in this logo.( which I did not make )

Old July 2nd, 2009, 02:18 PM   #52
Verus Cidere

Nice work. That's definitely a possibility. I did like the idea of a decal too. Something like this...

decal.jpg

The color fade thing is quite a bit more difficult I'm sure, and it's also going to be a different size I think, but that's the idea. That's some good work Ken! I'm sure we could use that! I don't think we're going to be waiting for orders to make these decals though. As far as I knew, we were going to do somewhat of a group buy. One person orders a large number of these decals, then the rest of the membership can order from that person and they will send one of the decals that was already made. As far as i knew that was the plan, but I could be wrong. How many stickers can you make from one yard of vinyl if they are 2"X4"?

Old July 2nd, 2009, 07:14 PM   #53
Bsmith
ninjette.org member

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250 R.I.P.

this is my current look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0132.jpg (67.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0129.jpg (97.9 KB, 5 views)
Bsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2009, 11:07 PM   #54
nmd003
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250R

Quote:
I do not have a printer, I bought a vinyl sign cutter to decal my racecars myself. I do not run a sign shop, I just found a deal on the cutter that was less then what it would cost to cut the graphics on my own racecar, truck and trailer after a couple years.
These would be cut out just like the Kawasaki and Ninja decals on the bike now. I could cut them in batches as needed. If people wanted green, blue or red to match the paint or reflective I would have to order a roll after enough people requested them to cover the material. The vinyl is about $3 a yard when I buy a 50 yard roll. Reflective vinyl is about $10 a yard when I buy a 10 yard roll.
I currently have White, Black, Silver, Canary Yellow, Tomato Red, and Saphire Blue.

I have been looking for a outline of the bike similar to the TrailBlazer in this logo.( which I did not make )
I could probably come up with something like that. Are we talking pre-gen or new gen?
nmd003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2009, 11:03 AM   #55
Ken08Ninja
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmd003 View Post
I could probably come up with something like that. Are we talking pre-gen or new gen?
Both, that way people could order which ever one they wanted.

Old July 3rd, 2009, 03:17 PM   #56
Verus Cidere

Best idea, try and incorporate both in the same sticker, or not at all. Since we have members with one, the other or both, we don't want to have only one on the sticker. Make sure it includes all members. Just my on that.

Old July 3rd, 2009, 03:54 PM   #57
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
no matter what design you finally settle on, you will need to offer it in a selection of colors. One color won't go well on all of the different color bikes. perhaps black or white to start, if you want to keep it simple.
PINK! I want some in PINK!
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2009, 05:13 PM   #58
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

maybe you could do one silhouette inside the other, like the new gen growing out of the pregen or something...

Old July 3rd, 2009, 07:00 PM   #59
Nickds7
ninjette.org guru

Just received a sample kit frp, sticker robot. Amazing quality. It is screenprinted so each color and line almost appears to have a 3d look to it. Simply amazing. Sadly no good camera to take a sample pic of.

Any luck picking out a printer Michael? I think thats whats left before setting up a contest. Lets get these things printed

Old July 3rd, 2009, 11:14 PM   #60
Hadyn
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): '06 Yellow 250r

Quote:
Best idea, try and incorporate both in the same sticker, or not at all. Since we have members with one, the other or both, we don't want to have only one on the sticker. Make sure it includes all members. Just my on that.
That's what kept me from using a bike outline or silhouette in my design:
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/4240/picture1ncj.png
Somebody should get this contest started!
Hadyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2009, 11:38 AM   #61
Verus Cidere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickds7 View Post
Any luck picking out a printer Michael? I think thats whats left before setting up a contest. Lets get these things printed
For right now, it's looking like Ken is the best bet. We haven't had many replies on the other possible makers, so I'm not sure of what they can do and how much it'll cost. From what I can tell, Ken's would be affordable, both for him and for us. I'm still waiting to find out how many decals he could make per yard of vinyl though. We still have a few things to work out before we get the contest going. If you already have your design, make another one or just wait patiently. We're working on it, and we'll get the contest started ASAP.

Last futzed with by Verus Cidere; July 4th, 2009 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Spelling in emoticon!!! Fixed!
Verus Cidere is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2009, 02:04 PM   #62
Ken08Ninja
ninjette.org member

Quote:
For right now, it's looking like Ken is the best bet. We haven't had many replies on the other possible makers, so I'm not sure of what they can do and how much it'll cost. From what I can tell, Ken's would be affordable, both for him and for us. I'm still waiting to find out how many decals he could make per yard of vinyl though. We still have a few things to work out before we get the contest going. If you already have your design, make another one or just wait patiently. We're working on it, and we'll get the contest started ASAP. :thumup:
The max width I can cut is 18", I usually use 20" material. I fiqure 8 decals wide by 9 down the roll so 72 decals in a little over a yard.
I can cut multiple designs at once so I could have new-gen, pre-gen, and both.

Old July 4th, 2009, 11:49 PM   #63
Verus Cidere

Quote:
The max width I can cut is 18", I usually use 20" material. I fiqure 8 decals wide by 9 down the roll so 72 decals in a little over a yard.
I can cut multiple designs at once so I could have new-gen, pre-gen, and both.
Sending you a PM of a possible deal.......

Old July 5th, 2009, 12:04 AM   #64
Verus Cidere

Poll update: Score is now 40 for and 3 against.

As there's not a massive amount of interest, but it is substantial and there's a good possibility of multiple orders per person, I'm thinking of making the order about 500 decals to start with, and ordering more later if we need them. Sound good to everybody?

Old July 5th, 2009, 12:31 AM   #65
kkim

how do you finance the 500 decals? approx. cost?

Old July 5th, 2009, 12:20 PM   #66
Verus Cidere

I'm planning on a few things. First, I'm planning to cover most of the initial cost of purchasing the decals. I'll be running orders through paypal, and then will send the decals to the people via USPS in a basic envelope. The price had been suggested as $2 shipped before, but we didn't have much discussion on that. I was thinking that would be okay, but we should discuss it some first.

On another note, Ken is going to go ahead and do our decal cutting. He's going to post pics of the colors he has so we can decide how many of each to get on the first run. Depending on what design we use, it will change the price a bit, but it shouldn't be by much.

As far as I can tell, we can go ahead and start the contest now. Any thoughts before we do? Kim? Alex? You guys are better at thinking ahead than I am. Anything I missed?

Old July 5th, 2009, 12:26 PM   #67
kkim

Shipping should be the actual shipping cost of whatever it takes to mail a legal size envelope through the post office. The size of the decals would permit that, wouldn't it? If it does, shipping costs should be a postage stamp plus the cost of an envelope.

Alex is away at the LS GP, but hopefully he can give you more insight as to what should be done next later today.

Sounds like you've done the legwork and homework. Good job!

Old July 5th, 2009, 12:44 PM   #68
Verus Cidere

Thanks!

I'll check prices on envelopes and stamps in the next couple of days. Will it take more than 1 stamp to mail an envelope to different places? Such as Europe, Australia, or even Hawaii?

Old July 5th, 2009, 01:15 PM   #69
kkim

For international, it will be more, but for the 50 states, it should be the same single first class stamp.

Old July 5th, 2009, 01:20 PM   #70
Nickds7
ninjette.org guru

International cost: http://ircalc.usps.gov/ international: 98cents for an ounce, 1.82 for 2 ounces. Includes Europe, Australia, and many others.

Hawaii is the same as shipping to any other state when it comes to letters.

Old July 5th, 2009, 01:29 PM   #71
Verus Cidere

Cool. Thanks guys.

Old July 5th, 2009, 03:49 PM   #72
Ken08Ninja
ninjette.org member

Here is two pics of the vinyl I have stuck to my 2008 Candy Plasma fairing, click on the thumbs to see full size images.

This one is in direct sunlight.
[IMG][/IMG]

This one is in the shade.
[IMG][/IMG]

Old July 5th, 2009, 04:02 PM   #73
Verus Cidere

Can somebody with photoshop skills take these and check them with the colors of bikes we have? Looks to me like the blue is a fairly good match on CP blue, and it'll probably do better with CT blue as it's darker than CP. it may not be perfect, but it looks good to me. I have no idea about the others though.

Old July 5th, 2009, 09:53 PM   #74
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

I would think black, white or green lettering/decals would be the most popular. The site and logo are green and black and white go with everything - from fairings to kickstands to windshields.
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2009, 09:29 PM   #75
Verus Cidere

That's what I was thinking, but there have been several requests for multiple colors. Gotta go with the general consensus.

Old July 7th, 2009, 01:20 AM   #76
Nickds7
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Can somebody with photoshop skills take these and check them with the colors of bikes we have? Looks to me like the blue is a fairly good match on CP blue, and it'll probably do better with CT blue as it's darker than CP. it may not be perfect, but it looks good to me. I have no idea about the others though.
Making that real quick right now. 5min.

edit: Here it is... I didn't do black since you probably get the idea and I don't want to spend the time doing black under the same lighting...

Old July 7th, 2009, 11:55 AM   #77
Verus Cidere

The red looks like a pretty good match, and all but the red match pretty well with the green IMO.

Anything else we're missing or should we get this contest rolling?

Old July 9th, 2009, 11:55 AM   #78
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Anything else we're missing or should we get this contest rolling?
These questions may already have been answered in the various threads, so maybe all of this has been done, but a concise answer to all or most of 'em may be all that's left in my mind before kicking off a contest:
  • Size restrictions on vinyl. What are the max/min dimensions for entries.
  • How many, and/or which colors can be on the submissions.
  • Any other physical restrictions? Does the electronic format of the design matter?
  • Will the sticky part be on the front (so you can put it behind your windscreen), or on the back (so you can put it on the exterior of your bike, like on the fairings somewhere)?
  • Which company is going to make 'em once a winner is selected?
  • How much is it expected to cost? (minimum order, how much per sticker)
  • Who's going to order them and handle shipping to individuals who want them? (unless they can be ordered 1 at a time by those who want one from the manufacturer directly)

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2009, 12:01 PM   #79
kevins_garage
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R, 2007 Aprilia SR50R scooter

I've got a vinyl cutter if you want to stick to a single color cut vinyl decal/sticker.

If you want some advice, I'd go with something that fits in a standard sized envelope to make mailing simple and easy (and cost effective). You also want to be careful that you don't go too small on any of the text or graphics if you do cut vinyl - too easy for some parts of the graphic or text to fall off over time - like from washing them.

Lots of choices on vinyl out there, but it may be best to stick to a few colors if you are going to try and do these in bulk - white, black, silver, pink, maybe a silver reflective too?

Sadly the printer/cutters are still a bit too pricey for my hobbyist budget. Let me know if I can be of help - kevins_garage@yahoo.com.
kevins_garage is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2009, 12:12 PM   #80
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

I got an idea I got an idea!!! Except... I need photoshop and I am at work! Wait for it though.... I think it's brilliant!