ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > None of the above > The Ex-Ninjetters Lair

Old January 19th, 2016, 01:36 PM   #1
Fox
ninjette.org member

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja ex250

1986 kawasaki Vulcan 750

Back in early December my bike got impounded by Johnny Law and I waited too long to get it back. 2400 in fees to retrieve my ninjette got me back on Craigslist lookiin for another project. I only paid 900 originally for the 250 so it just wasn't worth the money. I also decided it would be nice to cruise at more than 70 on the longer trips. I know some of you have done wayyy longer trips at that speed but I grew up driving on California freeways where 80 is typical. The ninjette can easily pull the speeds but it doesn't leave you with any power left for passing and I'm not a fan of burning oil for more than 100 miles.

Sooo I picked up a 30 year old Vulcan 750 for 800 doll-hairs. She's got some quirks from the previous owners doing questionable repairs.. But nothing I can't replace. I rode her home from OC to oceanside about 60 miles and I'm amazed at how much power lasted thirty years. It has a shaft drive and 5 speed so the top speed isn't that much higher than the ninjette, but it pulls muchhh harder through any gear and let's you be lazy when passing. No more full throttle buildup to gain momentum.

Transitioning from the upright position to a cruisers mid/forward controls with the mini ape hangers is interesting.... The first time I sat on it I put my feet where I thought the rearsets should be and felt stupid but you can adapt quickly. For handling on twisty roads the position doesn't inspire much confidence... So I'm researching handlebar options and a possible transition to a rearset/standard controls set up... It's been done by at least one guy on a different forum so it's possible the one downside is a lack of aftermarket parts.. Will have to fabricate and improvise but I love the challenge.

I'll also be posting up a for sale ad soon with the extra parts I took off my streetfighter build once I take good pics

Old January 19th, 2016, 01:43 PM   #2
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Congrats on the bike

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote