ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 9th, 2009, 02:16 PM   #1
TheGoodLyfe
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): Looking For 2008 Ninja 250R

Attention All College Owners! How To Secure Your Bike?

I've been racking my brain over the best route to prevent thieves from stealing my bike when I get it. I live in a residence hall two blocks off campus and their isn't any 'dedicated' parking. So first come parking basis basically. I will have my car over there so I was wondering what do the people going to college and living on campus do to protect their bike from the elements and prevent theft?

I am tentatively thinking of getting the following:
Alarm ~ Scorpio SR-i900
Ground Anchor ~ Torc II Maximum Security Ground Anchor
Chain/Padlock ~ Elite Security Protector 16mm Chain with Squire SS65CS Padlock
Cover ~ Dowco Guardian Weatherall Plus Cover

Not sure if I will be able to use a ground anchor on campus so I may just lock my bike to my car axle or something like that. As far as the covers go, what is the best option to protect my bike from rain and the elements? When winter hits I will put the bike in storage. Help a brotha out!
TheGoodLyfe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2009, 02:32 PM   #2
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I really don't think a lot of college owners will be on this forum. Check out the MV Auguta or Ducati forum for more college owners.

Old June 9th, 2009, 02:37 PM   #3
TheGoodLyfe
ninjette.org member

I see what you mean but if you were in my position how would you go about keeping your bike safe?

Old June 9th, 2009, 02:51 PM   #4
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Rent a garage. That's what I did in Boston.

Old June 9th, 2009, 02:54 PM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Alarm/Chain/Cover seems like you have most of the bases covered. But probably the most important thing to realize is that none of those things give 100% assurance that your bike will stay safe. Make sure you have insurance (full coverage, not just liability), and then if it is damaged or stolen, at least you're financially protected. Parked in an open student lot at college? &@*#(@&*# happens to vehicles. It's just the way it is.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2009, 03:05 PM   #6
TheGoodLyfe
ninjette.org member

I'll be running full coverage through Progressive so with the alarm/chain/cover I SHOULD be okay. Renting a garage would be a hassle for ease of access to my bike. Is there an option with Progressive to have GAP protection? As it stands I'd have a pay out the a$$ for total loss replacement so I figure I would go with Actual Cash Value and pay 500 deductible and have no collision coverage. Only because I don't plan on selling my bike and I will eventually make it my track bike.

Old June 9th, 2009, 03:13 PM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Alarm/chain/cover does nothing to prevent a drunken freshman from stumbling into it and knocking it over in the lot. Make sure you're happy with what your insurance coverage would be like to deal with that situation. (larger deductible = lower rates / smaller deductible = better peace of mind perhaps). It's all a trade-off. If it were me, I'd likely spend $1700 on a reasonably clean last-gen 250 and not worry about it as much. Parking on a college campus may as well be the inner city in terms of what vehicles look like afterwards.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old June 9th, 2009, 03:22 PM   #8
TheGoodLyfe
ninjette.org member

So in your scenario Alex, if that does happen would that fall under the collision category? Hmm I think that would since damages is covered by progressive if the bike overturns...I need to do a lil more insurance shopping haha

Old June 9th, 2009, 03:41 PM   #9
dmonaco05
ninjette.org member

Name: Dom

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ninja 250r

while im not still in college i do live in the college area of town, i have a master lock python locking cable and just loop it around my tow hitch on my truck and the wheel/swingarm. i park close enough to the bumper that getting bolt cutters in to cut the cable would be a hard thing to do, plus my window is right there.
dmonaco05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2009, 03:55 PM   #10
tc3jg
ninjette.org member

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250r

Im in college but Im not in the dorms i Have an apartment and just lock mine to a pole that supports a large car cover thing....but if I were you I would loock the bike to my rim on my car (or axle) LOCK the frame of the bike....then position the bike so that when the wheel lock is applied it rolls into your car (this will also prevent it from being knocked over) then cover it from there...the alarm is a good idea but if someone wants to take the bike there gonna get it onlything you can do is slow them down.

good luck.
tc3jg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2009, 04:00 PM   #11
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodLyfe View Post
So in your scenario Alex, if that does happen would that fall under the collision category?
Nope, it would be covered under the Comprehensive category. 3 main types are Collision / Comprehensive / Liability. Collision is if you're in an accident, comp is if anything happens to it that's not a vehicle accident (fire/stolen/vandalism/etc), and Liability is the coverage your insurance company will pay out to anyone or anything that you are responsible for in an accident. Most states (but not all) require some amount of minimum liability coverage to be legal. Most vehicle loans require full coverage (or at least comp & collision) until you pay off the loan.

Old June 9th, 2009, 04:06 PM   #12
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r (Fastest Color)

I currently have my bike at school...all I do is put a disk lock on and a cover...then again I have a private drivewat behind my apartment. This probably isnt the safest thing...considering the city I'm living in but I dont see someone wandering begind my apartment. I guess we"ll see. Anyway good luck on finding a solution...just remember nothing will make your bike 100% safe unless you get one of those force fields around it...I've heard those are somewhat pricey though
M-Oorb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2009, 05:27 PM   #13
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodLyfe View Post
I've been racking my brain over the best route to prevent thieves from stealing my bike when I get it. I live in a residence hall two blocks off campus and their isn't any 'dedicated' parking. So first come parking basis basically. I will have my car over there so I was wondering what do the people going to college and living on campus do to protect their bike from the elements and prevent theft?

I am tentatively thinking of getting the following:
Alarm ~ Scorpio SR-i900
Ground Anchor ~ Torc II Maximum Security Ground Anchor
Chain/Padlock ~ Elite Security Protector 16mm Chain with Squire SS65CS Padlock
Cover ~ Dowco Guardian Weatherall Plus Cover

Not sure if I will be able to use a ground anchor on campus so I may just lock my bike to my car axle or something like that. As far as the covers go, what is the best option to protect my bike from rain and the elements? When winter hits I will put the bike in storage. Help a brotha out!
Why would you want to have two vehicles while you were in college?
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2009, 06:27 PM   #14
k4m1k4z3k
ninjette.org member

Name: Kel

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

as far as locking the bike to the car - that would only work when you're actually at home to watch over it anyway (both vehicles are there). where do you lock the bike when you take the car?
k4m1k4z3k is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2009, 06:37 PM   #15
tc3jg
ninjette.org member

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
Why would you want to have two vehicles while you were in college?
I have a car and a bike and its nice to have both because I can use the bike for short runs to class and the car to venture home....but then again I live in an apt off of campus not the dorms.
tc3jg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2009, 10:08 PM   #16
TheGoodLyfe
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k4m1k4z3k View Post
as far as locking the bike to the car - that would only work when you're actually at home to watch over it anyway (both vehicles are there). where do you lock the bike when you take the car?
I need my car so that I can transport all my ish back over there haha. We aren't allowed to keep our possessions over the summer so that is why I will have two vehicles. I still want to drive in the winter so that car will come in handy over in Spokane where it dumps snow (bike in storage during winter months). The bike for when it is nice out.

k4m1k4z3k - The car would be used for short stints to the grocery store basically or to pick up big packages for my bike haha. But will mostly sit up to be honest. I need to figure out how I am going to lock up the bike when I take the car...some great ideas suggested so far.

Old June 9th, 2009, 10:28 PM   #17
SpyderGirl
3 for street, 2 for dirt

Name: Katlyn

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Can Am Spyder PE #1344 / 2009 Kawi KLX140L Monster Energy / 2009 Kawi Ninja 250R (RIP 8.23.09)

Park it in the auto shop parking lot where I can watch it while I'm in class.

Old June 9th, 2009, 10:35 PM   #18
TheGoodLyfe
ninjette.org member

I will add that where my room is (up one flight of stairs) I can view the entire street and parking lot so having the alarm will help alert me and I can run out with my fo fo and make sure their kids don't grow! JK JK JK. Always wanted to say that for some reason. RIP Tupac. Anywayz... I should be alright over there though with insurance/alarm/chain/padlock/cover

Old June 10th, 2009, 01:08 AM   #19
Nickds7
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

I'm 840 for 1 year of full coverage with progressive with a 500 deductible. 70/month isn't a bad deal to me.. peace of mind and will help me keep my cool if it gets stolen/pushed over/dropped..
Nickds7 is offline   Reply With Quote