Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 10th, 2009, 06:52 AM   #1
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Z Max

Z Max is an oil and gas additive. I have heard all kinds of good things about it. Nascar even uses it. I know that if I were to use it in the bike that the ratio would have to be adjusted.
My question is: Do you guys think it will help or is it a waste of money?
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2009, 07:03 AM   #2
tinng321
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tin

Motorcycle(s): 08 black 250r (sold); '09 black zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Z Max is an oil and gas additive. I have heard all kinds of good things about it. Nascar even uses it. I know that if I were to use it in the bike that the ratio would have to be adjusted.
My question is: Do you guys think it will help or is it a waste of money?
shelby uses it on all of his cars. As least that's what he claims.
tinng321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2009, 07:27 AM   #3
Snake

Does anybody know what it will do in the bike?

Old June 10th, 2009, 07:51 AM   #4
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Does anybody know what it will do in the bike?
Make it faster by making your wallet lighter.

Old June 10th, 2009, 07:52 AM   #5
univox
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Peter

Motorcycle(s): His: 07' ZX6R Hers: 09' 250R

FTC doesn't think to highly of it.

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2001/02/zmax1.shtm
univox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2009, 07:54 AM   #6
tinng321
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tin

Motorcycle(s): 08 black 250r (sold); '09 black zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banzai View Post
Make it faster by making your wallet lighter.
good one.
tinng321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2009, 08:13 AM   #7
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Name: Purspeed

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

SeaFoam is what you want to you. Amazing stuff and no fluff.

"This is my Ninja. There are many like it, but this one is mine..." ~ Purspeed (ca. Nov, 2008)
Purspeed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2009, 08:43 AM   #8
Snake

Sounds like all the advertisements are just a bunch of hype.

Old June 10th, 2009, 05:17 PM   #9
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
My mechanic used to always tell me if something was that good the car companies would put it in every car. I'm talking about any and all of these additives.

Old June 11th, 2009, 06:15 AM   #10
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

CC is right. Purspeed is also right. Seafoam is killer good. It's expensive though. There isn't really any reason to put it in all the time. If you use too much it'll make your motor smoke. If you have sticky or gunky stuff going on in any of your moving parts, a bit of it will probably cure your problem. Bike been sitting a while? Throw some (litteraly throw, it helps to stick better ) in your crankcase (along with proper amount of oil) and gas tank (with gas) to revitalize that old hog.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2009, 09:19 AM   #11
IlBLisSlI
i'm a cow killer

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2006 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
My mechanic used to always tell me if something was that good the car companies would put it in every car. I'm talking about any and all of these additives.
not necessarily... these auto manufactureres have a lot invested in making sure you have to buy replacement parts, extended warranties, and pay for regular services at the dealership.
they also have big money backers making sure that they don't develop or at least implement technologies that could cripple other industries (such as the oil industry). that's why we probably won't be seeing a 100mpg car hitting the main stream anytime soon even though we currently have the technology to make that happen ( http://www.tscombustion.com/ )
IlBLisSlI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2009, 09:57 AM   #12
jola
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlBLisSlI View Post
not necessarily... these auto manufactureres have a lot invested in making sure you have to buy replacement parts, extended warranties, and pay for regular services at the dealership.
In my opinion the designed failure idea has become less viable as the competition for best warranty and durability has heightened in the 1990s and 2000s. The consumer doesn't foot the bill (theoretically) for up to 100,000 miles these days, so there isn't much sense in making a car that will purposefully break when the company is guaranteeing the parts and labor. Of course there is a balance, depending on the market you are in (performance/reliability, economy car/reliability, luxury/reliability, etc.). People who buy Corvettes by and large care more about going fast, looking cool, or compensating and don't mind paying the sports car tax.

That post turned out longer than I envisioned. Anyways, I would stay away from ZMax. If you are really set on additives, I'd go with a more established one, such as SeaFoam. Whether or not it works only testimonials can say. I've used it and haven't noticed a difference. Others use it and swear by it. As far as I know it hasn't broken any motors on its own accord.
jola is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2009, 10:35 AM   #13
IlBLisSlI
i'm a cow killer

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2006 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by jola View Post
In my opinion the designed failure idea has become less viable as the competition for best warranty and durability has heightened in the 1990s and 2000s. The consumer doesn't foot the bill (theoretically) for up to 100,000 miles these days, so there isn't much sense in making a car that will purposefully break when the company is guaranteeing the parts and labor. .
you are right to a point. The only way they will have to foot the bill when things break down is to force you to go to the dealership to get your regularly scheduled maintenance. the vast majority of people don't do this which voids their warranty, and the people who do actually do this have pretty much already given the auto manufactures all the money they could need in order to eat the cost of something breaking.
IlBLisSlI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2009, 10:58 AM   #14
jola
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlBLisSlI View Post
you are right to a point. The only way they will have to foot the bill when things break down is to force you to go to the dealership to get your regularly scheduled maintenance. the vast majority of people don't do this which voids their warranty, and the people who do actually do this have pretty much already given the auto manufactures all the money they could need in order to eat the cost of something breaking.
Very true, not to mention getting warranty work done can be a battle in and of itself.
jola is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2009, 02:19 PM   #15
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Name: Purspeed

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnNinjaGirl View Post
CC is right. Purspeed is also right. Seafoam is killer good. It's expensive though. There isn't really any reason to put it in all the time. If you use too much it'll make your motor smoke. If you have sticky or gunky stuff going on in any of your moving parts, a bit of it will probably cure your problem. Bike been sitting a while? Throw some (litteraly throw, it helps to stick better ) in your crankcase (along with proper amount of oil) and gas tank (with gas) to revitalize that old hog.
GM is the company that coined the term "planned obsolescene."

In short, GM decided that their cars should only last about 5 years before falling apart. Why? So that you buy a new GM.

GM's amazing concept has been extremely successful in the marketplace. GM is now bankrupt.

SeaFoam works. It's that simple. Every experienced mechanic will tell you that.

Regarding other additives, be warned that any teflon based product will likely damage your engine.

After deciding what the problem is, simply do a search online. You have access to an unprecedented resource of first-hand experience (data). Then, decide what, if any, additive you would like to use.

"This is my Ninja. There are many like it, but this one is mine..." ~ Purspeed (ca. Nov, 2008)
Purspeed is offline   Reply With Quote