ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 17th, 2009, 09:15 AM   #1
lockie
ninjette.org sage

Name: don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 blue ninja 250R

Ninja Trailer

I'm getting a trailer to take my 250 out to New Brunswick from Labrador. The trailer is a small sturdy unit built to withstand the 1000km of gravel road we'll travel over before hitting the paved roads the rest of the country has. I'll strap it down well but the bike cover I bought for day to day use is not recommended for trailering. How do you cover your bike, if at all, if you use a trailer.
What other tips for long trips with the bike behind you?
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2009, 10:06 AM   #2
2WheelGuy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): '98 EX250, '02 EX250, '08 250r, '03 SV650, '98 GSXR750 '03 Hayabusa, '87 YSR50, '84 ZX900, +MORE

I've towed this trailer over 60,000 miles. I don't cover my bikes. The flapping cover can burn the paint. If you are worried about rocks put flaps on the towing vehicle and/or mount a deflector on the front of the trailer.

Tips: I've found that attaching tie downs to the lower triple clamp works best if your hooks are low as on my flat bed. I tie down the rear of the bikes to keep them from bouncing around on California's "worse in the country" pothole filled roads. My trailer came with a loading gate, very convenient but it really hurt my mileage so I removed it and use a small motorcycle ramp to load it.

2WheelGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2009, 10:10 AM   #3
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

nice setup you got there 2wheelguy. And lockie send a PM to blueraven too. she's got a trailer and more importantly she's in NB
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2009, 01:39 PM   #4
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

I do pretty much the same thing, but I use the canyon dancer style harness for mine - very similar trailer too

Old June 17th, 2009, 06:42 PM   #5
lockie
ninjette.org sage

My trailer is very similar,Craig. I've got them to put plywood around the sides and front. Is dust ever a problem? I like the way you've got the bikes tied down. Thanx for the pics. My trailer also comes with a metal slot in the floor for the front wheel to sit in. Not quite a full wheel chock but something to steady the bike on the long gravel roads.

Old June 17th, 2009, 07:02 PM   #6
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

nemy he is coming to New Brunswick not leaving from here. Lockie I would recommend an enclosed trailer but if you already have a utility trailer ask your dealership they may have ideas.

Old June 17th, 2009, 07:17 PM   #7
lockie
ninjette.org sage

Yea, I've had some conversations with the dealer. It's one of the mechanics there who puts together the trailers and he's built one for his bikes to go to NFLD. He suggested a tarp well tied down because of the dust but I'm not sure. His trailer is enclosed.

Old June 17th, 2009, 07:29 PM   #8
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

I decided to buy a hitch mounted carrier instead of an enclosed trailer. I rather save my money and buy a toyhauler when i find one that is affordable. The only problem with the carriers you need a lot of tongue weight capacity. Have you quoted how much it would cost for a uhaul trailer or have you already bought or own the utility trailer?

Old June 17th, 2009, 08:02 PM   #9
lockie
ninjette.org sage

Decided to go with our own utility size trailer as we'll be using it to haul stuff out to NB for the next couple of years. We're upgrading the cottage to be able to stay there for 3-4 months of the year. It also saves us from having to buy a truck as we've got more and more stuff we have to take to the dump.

But I will check with the U-Haul people about a rate. Thanks for the suggestion.